1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Time to hook it back up...Help?

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by Cafe_Guy94, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

What do you mean put a jumper across the wires? Just splice them together? Or splice a wire from one r/w to the other r/w?

2. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Okay so when I jump it I get a spark. So how would you recommend me doing a short term fix? By getting rid of the control? What do you mean wire a jumper between the 2 red wires?

3. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Okay tell me if I'm wrong but could I replace the control by connecting the 2 r/w wires and then getting a push button start and wiring the b/w and black to the push button?

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

at controler you can connect the 2 red white wires bypassing the run/kill switch

for starter button there should be a black wire which goes to ground and a blue/white wire which comes from solinoid add a push button switch and it will operate the starter.

I do not advise this route but you can do it or buy another controler.

you might want to add a switch to the redwhite wires to retain run/kill switch function

5. XJ550H

you could push a solid wire into the connector to connect the red/white wires . then just use a screw driver across the solinoid to operate the starter to test

6. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Is that a one time spark or are you getting spark when cranking now?

7. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

It's still only a one time spark. Still no spark when I'm cranking only when I jump the cdi and toggle the kill switch. And its only one spark.

8. Rooster53

The TCI has a built in shutdown in it so that when power is applied via the ignition switch / kill switch a working TCI will sink current on one leg, then after about 3 seconds shut down (a spark will occur) if no signal is received from the pick-up coils. The design is built in to protect the coils from overheating should the key be left on for an extended period of time without the bike running.

So, if the spark occurs a couple of seconds after turning the kill switch to on and leaving it on that would be normal, and would also indicate that at least the output section of the TCI is not blown.

Did you ever do the continuity testing that XJ550H suggested - ignition coils, spark plug caps, pickup coils? That is the basics and great place to start for no spark troubleshooting and only takes about 15 minutes to perform the test as all but the ignition coil secondary can be done at the TCI connectors.

This is also a good read to get an understanding of the ignition system and how it works:

http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/how-to-ignition-troubleshooting.21932/

XJ550H likes this.
  9. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Hey guys I have been busy with the bike and I've decided to rewire the thing myself. I've got some good diagrams and I've got it almost all hooked up (just waiting for my new brake/tail light to come in the mail) but I'm having a problem. I have power through out the whole bike but... I'm not getting power to the starter motor. I'm getting power to the first screw on the selenoid but when I hit my button I installed I'm not turning over. Any advice?

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Double check that the starter case has a good gound to the engine, and that the engine ground cable is connected to the negative battery terminal.
    Did you rebuild the starter?

11. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

My grounds are good I've checked a few times. I have a starter switch connected to the2 wires coming out of the selenoid. But when I push the button I get nothing. My headlight works. But no starter.

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Check continuity at your switch, and, check to make sure your Killswitch is not turned off ......it would not be the first time I saw that-

k-moe likes this.
  13. XJ550H

and clean starter button and confirm it is grounded as the starter button completes the path to ground for the solenoid.
    control body grounds to handle bars. Did you paint yours?
    there is also be a ground from control that runs to the connector. the main connector may have a wire that runs to harness or frame check that and see if is there.

14. Rooster53

The starter button does complete the path to ground, but the 12V on the other side of the solenoid coil will not be present unless the starter cutoff relay's contacts are closed, which is dependent on the state of the safety control switches and wiring. So, the question might be if you rewired it did you keep the starter cutoff relay?

Connect 12v across R/W and L/W on the solenoid to test it. Step 3 in this link:

http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/how-to-test-your-starter-circuit.7828/

15. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Thanks guys. I got it to turn over. I was missing a wire to my starter switch but now its turning. But I'm not getting any spark. My battery is at 12.8 V. My coild are steady at 2.9Ω and I'm getting power to them. I'm lost on why I'm not getting any spark to them.

16. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

So I figured out that my CDI box was fried. Kinda feel dumb not to look there but anyways. I ordered a "like new" one off eBay for a reasonable price. Also am getting new coils with it. So I took this weekend to finally do some cosmetic stuff to her. (The electrical stuff has been sucking the energy outta me so its nice to do a bit of the fun stuff while waiting for my parts) I decided to go olive green and black for the main pieces. I picked up a nice shorty rear fender for $20 and the sissy bar for $20 at the motorcycle swap meet today. Which was a steal because I see them online for $150 each. I got the leather seat off Amazon. Also got the 12" mini apes off Amazon. I welded a little 3x7 piece of steel under the springs and plan on putting screws in to keep them in place. Next I'm gonna mount the fender and hopefully by then my CDI and coils will be here. Feelin pretty good seeing as this is my first bike and first project. Its been a long road and ive got a bit more to do but its all coming a long now thanks for all the help guys. 20170729_181932.jpg 20170729_181932.jpg 20170730_205901.jpg 20170730_205716.jpg

17. XJ550H

tell me about your rear fender how is it mounted ect. I have a 750 that has been cut and it only has the plastic fender which is a little short

18. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

I havent mounted it yet. I'm still looking for a way to. I was thinking to put 2 screws through it and connect it to the steel plate I welded for the springs on the seat. Or just welding the fender to the back of the bike. I'm not sure. I've been trying to look up a way to do it but all the pictures I see of xj's they're all hard tailed. So I'm still in the research process. But ill keep you updated. (Update my new cdi and reg/rectifier came in. Now I'm just waiting for my coils then I'm gonna see if we have spark.) Starting this bike is going to be a reality soon enough.

19. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Shes running you guys!!! Shes finally running. I turned her over for the first time last Saturday. But... She turned over then revved really high. Like red lined high. I saw my idle screw was screwed almost all the way in?? (Thanks PO) but I loosened it. A lot. I haven't had the chance to see if that fixed the problem ill see today. But it's a big step that she can turn over and has spark.

k-moe and Toomanybikes like this.
  20. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

yaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!