1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Turn signals, brake light, neutral light, tach and others not working

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jimbo55, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Jimbo55

Jimbo55 New Member

I have a 1985 xj700 N Maxim. I was replacing a burned out hi beam indicator light and all of of a sudden I realized that my neutral light, blinkers, and brake light didn't work at all. The electric tachometer didn't work either except when the kickstand was down and it was in gear (kick stand kill switch didn't work either) I checked for loose connections and found none. I have also replaced the main flasher relay, that didn't work either. Everything else on the bike works fine. I don't know wtf is going on. Somebody please help!!!!!

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The brake light, neutral light, blinkers, horn, and tach are all powered by a 15 amp flasher fuse. Have you verified it is not blown?

3. Jimbo55

Jimbo55 New Member

Is it one of the ones inside the indicator light panel?

4. Jimbo55

Jimbo55 New Member

Ding ding ding. We have a winner folks. Thank you so much. One of the fuse clips was bad. It's fixed now.

5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Rooster saves the day AGAIN!! and this time his post didn't make my head spin!

6. Mustang

Mustang Member

How bout this one try to use the horn or any brake switch and the cluster shuts off any turns back on, I know its a shot is there a normal spot to start looking? I've combed a bunch of wires and shook them around but can't find it

7. Rooster53

Do the blinkers cause the same issue? Brake and horns are both fairly high current as are the blinkers. If it's voltage drop from a poor connection the blinkers may not function. May not be a short, but a poor connection at the fuse (signal or flasher depending on bike) or a defective fuse. Inspect the fuse holder closely to verify it is not burnt, corroded or broken, and maybe just try another fuse.

Edit: noticed new member post, what bike is this?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  8. Mustang

Mustang Member

1981 xj750r seca, I put in a mini fuse holder 3000 miles ago with no problem, first fuse blew last week and second one 2 days ago, bike still runs good , just noticed the reset deal yesterday, turn signals also reset everything but I don't use them, missing the front 2 lights so no flash but all rear lights come on and headlamp functions like it should

9. Rooster53

Can you relate that to a particular event, such as applying the brakes? And to be sure it is a 10 amp signal fuse that is blowing?

Is the lighting cycling or is it the computer monitoring system that recycles as in a check system command or power up command, or both?

I noticed from one of your earlier post that the main harness was a bit of a mess from the PO and some of the safety circuits were bypassed - even some bike shutting down when shifting if the instrument cluster was connected? Depending on how bad it is you may want to consider replacing it as they can be acquired fairly cheap.

If it is currently not blowing fuses you could pull the signal fuse and place a DMM in current mode across the fuse. Normal signal circuit current is less than 1 amp until applying the brakes, enabling the flashers, or honking the horn. If that is normal the you could test the remainder of the signal circuits for correct current. Brake lights should add about 3 amps, turn signals are about 3 amps, and the horn is at least a couple of amps. There is a bit of a risk to your meter, but most are protected with a 10 amp fuse.

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

At some point it becomes a good move to buy a used harness that has not been hacked up.

11. Mustang

Mustang Member

It's the whole check cycle, when I press brakes, turn signal or horn. 10a fuse does blow I removed some sort of safety relay 3000 miles roughly 2months ago but this just happened last weekend

12. Mustang

Mustang Member

I haven't done anything else since then, does any one have a good wiring diagram I can't find one for my bike its always a different year with odd wire colors or for a different motor

13. Mustang

Mustang Member

I guess my check button is stuck down bit it has been like that since I got it I figured it was a light or something

14. Mustang

Mustang Member

I'm planning on getting a round speedometer and tach so I will be eliminating the factory gauge cluster are there wires I can just cut out and remove from the bike?

15. Mustang

Mustang Member

I fixed it, don't know what I did but I fixed it.

16. Bighappy

Bighappy Member

Just had this happen as well.....is the fuse in the block under the seat?

17. Bighappy

Bighappy Member

Can anyone tell me where this 15A fuse is located??

18. Bighappy

Bighappy Member

Anyone???

19. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Bighappy. did you mention which bike your working on? If you start a thread with your problem in the title, and mention which bike, you might get more help. My XJ750 has the fusebox under the seat.