1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Vacuum Leak on XJ 550 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Lateralus, Oct 12, 2017.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

yes blue wire is neutral switch just need a small ring terminal to fix it if the wire is long enough

this thread explains the charging system and where to look if it is not working has charging specs it is way down the thread . it is full of useful info you can use.
    The Ultimate Relay, Switch, Sensor, and Diodes Guide

to contact chacal you have 3 ways of doing it hover over in box click on start a conversation and put his name in it or go to his website www.xj4ever.com and there is an email address there info he also goes by Len for the email. he may have a used exhaust for you, will have the connector if you want to get it from him .
    if you go to this thread
    XJ4Ever - Supporting Vendor just click on his avatar and start a conversation

2. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

Yep... that's exactly what i'm getting!... so i've had no problems with the bikes charging system at all this whole time!.. well.. im pissed!!.... Alot of wasted time and wasted Money!.. and the only things i have gained are spare parts and more knowledge..sigh

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

But you DID get something out of it .....

4. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

True...oh well..alls well that ends well! Now on to more pressing matters (The Rear brake Light) The Rear brake light still does not come on when i press down on the pedal, the front break light works fine but not the rear and i have bought and replaced the switch, have tried turning it in and out but i get no response, also i have on my harness this Extra Yellow and Chocolate Wire which when i connect them together the rear brake light magically comes on, but when i disconnect them the Rear brake light turns off what gives!?!

5. hogfiddles

You have a front brake light ?!?!?

Do you have your switch plugged into the harness?
    Show a pic of what you have, what you're connecting to get a light, etc....

Something either isn't wired correctly or you have a faulty light socket or bulb

6. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Disconnect the rear switch wiring.

Turn the key on and verify you have 12V (input) on the main harness Br wire to the rear brake switch.

If good, momentarily short the Br wire to the Y wire (output) on the main harness, the brake light should come on. If no 12V on the Br wire there is an open in the main harness somewhere that will need to be isolated and repaired.

If the brake light does not illuminate with the wires shorted then something is not connected in the main harness.

If the brake light illuminates, then you either have a defective or misadjusted switch.

Check the switch, it is normally open. Connect the ohm meter across the two wires for the brake switch. Depress the brake peddle and verify the reading goes from open to shorted. If it remains open, adjust the switch so that the plunger is pulled further out. If it is always shorted, adjust the switch to reduce the pull on the plunger.

A pic of that would help like Hogfiddles suggested. Perhaps that "chocolate" is really brown, and the yellow sounds like the rear brake light switch output so it likely needs to be connected.

7. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

Here are some pictures

Attached Files:

8. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

So this is working, brake light on with wires shorted together - a good sign.

upload_2017-11-12_11-41-56.png

So do this and it should work.. And you do have the spring attached on the brake switch from the plunger to the brake pedal? And you are connecting those two shorted wires to the rear brake switch? You can also manually operate the rear brake switch by pulling the plunger out, which should make it go from open to shorted.

9. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

Got it! I'ts fixed Now it works perfect the plunger was just a bit too far down and i also had the wiring mixed up because you know! Bull shit wiring antics from previous owner/owner's!... sweet, that's one less problem and finally i can feel safer knowing that people can see me breaking when i press on the rear brake pedal, and not feel like someone just might ram into me because my rear braking light was out lol

Rooster53 likes this.
  10. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

Alright, on to the Next! I'm speaking to chacal right now and waiting for him to get back with me, so hopefully he has a spare (right) Muffler/Exhaust i coud grab from him, and last problem i have so far is with the front brake currently it does not work and i have no clue how to properly rebuild it so we're going to have to look into it, right now its just not getting/building up pressure as i try to bleed the brake, and I'm not sure why!..

11. hogfiddles

Camillus, NY huh!?! You DO realize you're only about 50 min west of me, right? Lol

12. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

NO WAY! Sounds like i need to make a little trip and make my life easier!

13. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

Could i swing by to your place and maybe you could score me 1 on 1 with the MC rebuild? That'd be cool!

14. hogfiddles

Let's see what we can figure out-- I'll send you a conversation with my phone #

15. Oldmansin

Oldmansin Member

16. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

This is what i need guys, not the WHOLE Exhaust System! Just the Brown Muffler/Baffle and really all i need is the Baffle that inserts into the muffler! Heck if i can put on a New After Market Muffler/Baffle Combo that would be cool, but im not sure if it would work out..

Attached Files:

17. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

Hey guys, does anyone know how to remove the front brake switch?

18. hogfiddles

Push a small screwdriver into the small hole underneath to depress the retaining barb

19. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

Could you show a picture, because I don't see such hole.

20. hogfiddles

Just got home... I'll go take a pic after I eat