1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Valve clearance - exhaust side

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Lightcs1776, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Lightcs1776

Lightcs1776 Active Member

I am going through my valve clearances. I was able to get the clearances for all valves. I was also able to take out the shims on the intake side, once I had a magnetic pick-up tool. However, I can't seem to get the shims out of the exhaust side. I've tried the two on the left and both will come out of the bucket, but not out from under the cam. Anyone have any tricks to try for this? I'm using the zip-tie method, by the way.

Thanks.

2. Lightcs1776

I found the secret. I had to run to Lowes to return something for my wife. I checked out the other magnetic pick-up tool. It's about half the size of the one my wife picked up. Worked like a charm.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I hope that you have a shim in each bucket before you rotate the engine. Your verbage makes it sound like you might not be doing that.

4. Lightcs1776

Yes, I have only done one bucket at a time, replacing the shim before rotating to the next one. Thanks for pointing it out though, as I would hate to make that mistake. I'm curious what happens when a shim is left out, but not curious enough to find out for myself.

I spoke too soon regarding the success of getting out shims. I have two that I still can't seem to get out, the second and fourth on the exhaust side. I can't get a feeler gauge between the shim and the cam when I have the shim up. I have tried with the cam in multiple positions. I'm calling it a day and will try it again either tomorrow or Monday night. I've come too far to button it up without knowing the each shim. I currently have, going from left to right, .127, .102, .102, and .102 on the exhaust. Shims are 275, ?, 275, and ?. Intake has .127, .102, .063, and .063. Shims on the intake are 285, 290, 290, and 295. So I know I need to get the clearances adjusted and not put it off. Oh, and I have to try cutting a slot in one of the screws from the lower plate that snapped. I'll be putting PB Blaster on it for a couple days to give it a better chance of coming out.

5. k-moe

Walking away and giving yourself time is always a good choice.

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  6. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Light, are you saying that (#1) you can't get the feeler gauge in there when attempting to check clearance? Or (#2) that even when the zip tie is holding the valve open there is still no clearance that you can't get a feeler gauge in there?

If it is #1, having no clearance is possible. You'll have to pull that shim out, and put a thinner one in that will give clearance (to get a feeler in there) which will then give you the opportunity to check the gap and figure out what exactly needs to be in there.

If it is #2, it seems odd that that you can't get a feeler in there. Make sure you have the cam lobe pointing completely away from the shim. The shims are in there on an angle so "away" is not exactly straight up . The cam lobe tip needs to be at a 90 degree rotation from the surface of the shim.

lobes_n_shims.jpg

*diagrams are not to scale, names have been changed to protect the innocent and all shims and cam lobes have done their own stunts...

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

use the 12 gauge insulated solid wire could be your wireties are not thick enough to give the clearance to remove shims.
    or double up on the ties.
    I had similar problems with wire ties went to wire it went smoothly
    and as photo showes 90 degrees is best

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  8. Lightcs1776

Nuch, great diagram. I am able to get the feeler gauge in when checking clearances, just not when trying to get the shims out. Perhaps I don't have it quite at 90 degrees.

XJ550H, I will try the wire method (today if I can get away with it - wife and kids are big on doing family things on Father's Day, and I am not complaining about that). I have plenty of wire from home improvement projects. The clearances are significantly off, so something has to work.

9. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

I also have had good luck with a plastic coated wire hanger.

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

nothing like a day of fixing XJ's and checking valve shims together to bring a family closer together:)
    Happy Fathers day

TheCrazyGnat, Lightcs1776 and Nuch like this.
  11. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I did that, the bucket will scrape some material on the edge of the cam lobe. Not what you want to do. I ended up using a different head and cams so it wasn't too big a deal.

12. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

X2, I had the same issue. Going to 12 ga wire worked great.

13. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

bend your ziptie like this and give it a try
    [​IMG]

14. Lightcs1776

It is done. I changed to the wire and there was an amazing amount of space. I also ensured the cam was as pictured in Nuch's graphic. Thanks for the help folks. I really appreciate it. Everything is back together and running again. Now I'll get the right shims and complete the final steps in the initial maintenance since purchasing the bike last year.

k-moe likes this.
  15. k-moe

Be sure to keep a record of your curent clearances and which shims are where. That will make the next adjustment go much faster.

16. Lightcs1776

Yes., Sir. I have all work written in a notebook so I can go back and see when things are done. I will probably also record it on a spreadsheet, just in case I ever lose the notebook.

17. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

LOL!

I often take a peek at the forum before I head out to work... Good laugh to start the day, so thank you!

18. Lightcs1776

XJ550H has a point. I have some great one on one time with my 14 year old fixing the bike. Same thing with my 23 year old when he stops over to give me a hand.

19. Trotskie_10

Trotskie_10 Member

I'm sure this is a dumb question. I'm assuming that the shim is the adjustment to the valve clearance. Where do we get shims? Thanks

20. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

From either Len Chacal at xj4ever, or contact hogfiddles for shim pool info