1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What are your helmets? How do you like them?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by justinmantell, Apr 4, 2008.

1. justinmantell

justinmantell Member

This is a much better topic for the answers that I'm looking for. Are Shoei TZ-R's any good? What helmets do you use and how comfortable are they in the summer (if full face)? Sorry to be such a pain but I want my brains to be protected in the most comfortable fashion.

2. bap3826

bap3826 Member

I bought my first helmet, a KBC, last summer. It wasn't their cheapest; but it was close. Now I wish I had paid more and got a better helmet. I have been plagued with breaking visor hinges. The design is not that clean; it has several plastic fittings that cover vent holes. These tend to come loose and then rattle while I ride. But it fits my head just fine and is comfy. Next time though I would spend a bit more (or wait for a sale) and get a cleaner / quieter design.

3. blackjack550

blackjack550 Member

i also bought my first helmet a kbc and it wasnt the most expensive but well up there. i have multiple vents but they dont raddle like "BAP"s helmet but they do provide alot of breathing and they are very comfortable.

4. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

I'm currently pondering a MOMO essenziale, they look ****KILLER**** but are a bit pricey.

[​IMG]

5. gcrick

gcrick Member

by sheer luck I found an Arai RX-7 for cheap and bought it. Wow! most comfortable, well ventilated helmet I've ever known. After the clunker I replaced, when you finish riding with this one it makes you wanna roll over and smoke a cigarette! :)

6. bap3826

bap3826 Member

I like the vent idea too. I would just avoid ones that have plastic fairings stuck on. Just get a helmet where the vents are moulded into the shell.

7. wink1018

wink1018 Active Member

And for just over $100 you can get AGV's Dragon that looks identical to this helmet.

8. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

My Shoei Helmet saved my life when I low-sided after hitting a rodent.
    The little bugger went right under my front wheel and I lost contact withthe surface and put the bike right down with me following along, rolling on the pavement and listening to my helmet hit the blacktop several times before everything came to a halt.

Case guards and handlebar sliders saved the bike from major damage.
    Some road rash on a silencer.

I wrote to Shoei but never heard from them.

9. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

as far east as you can get in michigan 43.027407,
    im sure ill hear about it but my helmet is a Nolan N-35...

bought it new in 1993...

i dont see them being made anymore and thats a drag because it was only $80 or so. all the new helmets that i see (whose name i recognize Shoei, Arai, Nolan) all seem to be closer to $200 or better...

10. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Similar, yes... Identical? Hardly. They look like what they are... A much cheaper version of an original design...

[​IMG]

11. justinmantell

justinmantell Member

you've definitely sold me on a Shoei TZ-R. Thanks Rick.

12. Dispatcher

Dispatcher Member

I use half-helmets in the summer, and full face in the colder weather. The brands I own/have owned are Shoei, KBC, Bell, Shark, and HJC. I like them all (except I sold the KBC), but the Shoei is head and shoulders above the others in quality.

13. Dispatcher

Dispatcher Member

I use half-helmets in the summer, and full face in the colder weather. The brands I own/have owned are Shoei, KBC, Bell, Shark, and HJC. I like them all (except I sold the KBC), but the Shoei is head and shoulders above the others in quality.

14. Dispatcher

Dispatcher Member

15. Pacocase

Pacocase Member

I had an ancient HJC that I'd had since high school. I originally bought it before I even rode street bikes, but I needed a cheap helmet for autocross. When I first started riding it was good enough, but I got a good deal on an Arai Astral-X and haven't looked back since. The quality is amazing and it vents so well it is fine even in hot weather.

16. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    I went with a Shark RS helmet this spring. I was looking at the suomy line - BUT - the shark helmet was: lighter, cheaper, had a higher crash rating, and fit better... (by cheaper I mean $400 cheaper... and it STILL cost $300)

The Shark helmet has great ventilation... seriously go try one on.

Before that I had a few HJC helmets that were good (snell)... and my first helmet was crap... DOT only. Heavy. Bad ventilation. Noisy.

A good helmet is worth it... they are more quiet, safer, and lighter.

17. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    Shoei
    Soumy
    Arai
    Shark...

Look for BSI or EC22-05 (the new motoGP standard - it is a UN standard from what I can tell)

DOT - something on your head
    SNELL - something better on your head, but the standard was meant for cars
    BSI - Racing standard
    EC 22-05 - the NEW racing standard.

18. TSizemore3

TSizemore3 Member

Years ago I had a Hondaline full face helmet that was made by Shoei that was wonderful! It saved my life once. Unfortunately it was so wonderful that a former friend stole it.

I now run a G-Force GF 750 open face helmet that is a light, good quality helmet that's fairly inexpensive. When I replace it this year (it's four and a half years old and has timed out for SCCA) I will replace it with a G-
    Force Pro Force full face helmet.