1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

2. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

No restrictors installed, just hoses to vacuum ports. I got mine right from Morgan in the UK though (for Reasons, it's cheaper to ship here from the UK than the US) and it didn't come with restrictors.

And let's be real here - have you ever used one of these and not blipped the throttle pretty aggressively, just to watch it go nuts?

I thought not :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  3. Wintersdark

Studded tires are a thing that's allowed though? Well, at least here. Brother in law has studded tires for his KTM Adv 1190. They not legal in the US?

4. Wintersdark

Took the old girl out for a snow ride today, got some quality highway time in. She sure likes the colder, denser air; a Calgary girl through and through =) A bit of excitement here and there, as there's a ton of gravel about and the odd snowy spot, but nothing unmanageable with care. It's only been two weeks or so, but it's felt like an eternity.

5. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

I’ve never checked the legality of studded tires for a motorcycle but they’re not allowed on a car here any longer. At least not in my locale... I am jelly indeed. Oh. Wait. That’s the kid talking. The adult in me would say jealous!

6. Wintersdark

Probably a factor of how much of the year roads are covered in ice and snow vs the manage they do to bare roads. I believe they are illegal in summer here, but couldn't say what actual dates are.

Use here depends generally on how much time you spend in the mountains. They're not really worthwhile in the city (though some particularly cautious do use them) but once you get into the mountains even good winter tires don't really cut it.

Laws about what you can and can't have on cars/bikes are very, very lax here.

7. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Same with laws regarding cowboy boots and hats... Calgary is Canada's wild west. Mild west? Sorry aboot that one, eh?

Wintersdark likes this.
  8. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

I would agree with the previous statement that my XJ loves the dense air! Got all kind of pull through the entire rpm range.
    Since it is winter time I run non ethanol fuel 4.00 a gallon but when you are only filling up to 2.5 it is still worth every penny.
    I due run super though through the spring and summer months.
    Rain today sun tomorrow still happy

Wintersdark likes this.
  9. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Gave up and put stabilizer in the tank. Haven't had a day above 5°c in 2 weeks. Sigh. How long until spring?

10. dowski68

Got up this morning and it said it was 47 degrees phuey on you weather individual :rolleyes:
    I rode to work this morning and it was quite a bit colder then that!
    Still no Ice but I must have ridden to work before it set cause everybody else came in like are you crazy there is ice on the rode-:eek:
    No, I am not crazy I just ride a Yamaha ;)
    luckily I did not hit any ice!
    Rain next two days sun on Friday/Saturday still will be in the mid 40's during the daylight hours. I see many more miles that need to be added to my speedometer.

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

light snow for the past 2 days roads clear and 42f tomorrow maybe one more ride before it snows on thursday

12. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I got one a little nicer

1EE1323E-2F51-4CAE-9BE3-CD1C45626E01.jpeg

Stumplifter and TheCrazyGnat like this.
  13. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

14. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I hibernated mine two weekends ago, and guess what, it warmed up a bit again this week. Never fails.

Oh well, it provided me with some time to go to the shooting range with the guys.

15. Ian Vanore

Ian Vanore Member

Oooo Oooo Oooo how do I get mine to look like this? Also, aside from doing a full LED conversion are there any better lighting options with stock voltage (non-led) for dash?

16. dowski68

looking outside and it appears that there is going to be a break in the rain. If this happens I going riding !:)

17. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Not necessarily "better" lighting, but years ago I swapped my clear bulbs with red bulbs in my stock guages. The two guages have a nice red glow at night that matches the red painted tank.

It actually is a bit dimmer as a result, and the trip odometer is a bit harder to read.

18. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

If you have a Maxim 650 I still have one, PM if interested.

19. wgul

wgul Active Member

Rear gear oil change on xj650 #2. Had to use vice grips and hammer taps to unfreeze it. Socket wrench wouldn't budge that bottom nut.

Took it for it's first longer ride today up hear near Boston. Can't believe she's running as well as her sister that cost me 10x as much.

Dadoseven and dowski68 like this.
  20. dowski68

got up this morning and it was 40 degrees and I needed to go to Grants Pass (GP) to get some new riding boots. All was fine rode out through Jacksonville north to GP stopped at a little market to get some hot soup cause I was cold or at least my fingers were. Note to self-wear next level up of cold weather gloves. The road was, for the most part, dry considering it has been raining for the last few days. Picked up riding boots and just happen to look down at my front tire and low and behold there is this shiny finishing nail looking right up at me. Blankity blankity I just replaced this tire not more than 500 miles ago luckily for me I accidentally ordered two new front tires when I had issues with the original as some of you may recall. Went straight home and removed the front tire. Wife asks me am I going to work on the second bathroom being the tub drain is clogged? :eek: Yes, dear, I will get to work on that immediately so goes my last day off. Still, I got close to another 90 miles on the bike today. When I got the tub issue resolved I was able to get down to the Bike shop and get the front tire changed out. Surprising to me and the technician, I had mentioned that I would like to have that yellow dot aligned with the valve stem and he replied I try to do that every time and he is always surprised when he gets tires in that are not aligned. Back to my point when he put the rim and tire on the balancing machine it was dead on no balancing weights required. He even ran it three times just for poops and giggles in case there was a glitch:D. Being as I brought the tire and rim to him I was charged only 25 for the mounting and 3 dollars for the waste disposal fee. Going to freeze tonight, however, I don't leave for work until 930am so I will ride wearing my umpa lumpa suit as it will be in the mid 30 when I get off.

wgul likes this.