1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

Finding it hard to rely on the weather people :rolleyes: as I am sitting here drinking coffee and it is dry as a bone outside. Looks like another day of riding.:)
    Yesterday I stopped by a little roadside motorcycle shop and talked with the technician about my front headset. He gave it a ten-minute look over and said there seems to be no issues as in no sloop when the front forks are wiggled and no glitches when the handlebars are turned from left to right. All weight of the bike was removed while he did his checks. :D Although he did notice that there is some chattering on the front forks which indicates that the neoprene? busing are worn out. :eek: Not really surprised as the bike I believe has had no real maintenance until I acquired it. With that being said I am about 45 miles from hitting 70,000 which will be today.;)
    The technician stated about 80 bucks for the entire front forks rebuild kit and 140 for labor so 220 total. There are things that I will do myself and some things I will not and the front forks fall under I will not. Hopefully, in time I will get the necessary skills for this project.
    Well better start getting ready to go riding just in case it decides to rain later this day. :)

2. dowski68

I would agree as it took a few minutes to relax and trust ones natural instincts.o_O

3. Taylo105

Taylo105 Active Member

Took my bike into work today. It’s a nice 75 degrease outside in San Diego. So it was a nice first commute to work for the first time after the rebuild. Feels great to finally have a working xj after months of working.

dowski68 likes this.
  4. dowski68

I know the feeling I spent last winter rebuilding the engine on my xj700x from the pistons up and it was sure a good feeling of accomplishment when I was able to turn the key and it fired up and purred. Been enjoying riding her ever since. 75 degrees must be nice

5. Plug

Plug Active Member

I did too since I was only working 25 miles from home.....27 degrees. Had to try out my new gloves and balaclava.

6. dowski68

Was going for a ride as it was not raining this morning however the sky started to cry so I was left to do so minor plumbing repair work. Which made momma happy and now that is done it is time to go for a much-needed ride! ;)

7. dowski68

Even when it is 27 degrees you are not worried about ice on the road or has there been no moisture to form ice?
    I'll ride down till 34 degrees if there has not been any moisture. Just curious

8. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Out here in the midwest it can be 25 degrees and dry as a bone.

However, I personally don't ride when it gets below about 35 degrees as I don't want to invest in the long underwear, snowmobile suit, etc.

9. Plug

Plug Active Member

Zero moisture, no concerns at all. We are entering the nose bleed season so to speak.....on the bright side, it warmed up to 34 for the ride home.

dowski68 likes this.
  10. dowski68

I got it as long as there is no moisture in the air riding is feasible if you got the cold weather gear which I already have.
    :D
    Just back from a short ride mum needed some supplies for Thanksgiving. When I returned like 20 minutes ago I did my usual 1,000-mile oil change. No metal flakes on the magnetic oil plug all ways a good sign. Refilled started and rechecked oil level. Just enough time for another short ride before class this evening. Oddly it is extremely warm outside a good indicator that rain is coming. The forecast says next four days then it looks good for 4 or 5 days.
    upload_2017-11-22_15-4-51.png

11. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

Thankfully, Calgary is very dry as well. There's snow, but it evaporates as fast as it melts and is rarely more than an inch or so at most, so roads tend to stay mostly dry - the air is extremely dry pretty much all the time.

As far as I'm concerned, so long as there's bare dry road, I'll ride :)

I tend to stick to major routes though so theres no danger of surprise icy patches - my own street has some, as it's never plowed so when it does snow it gets compacted into ice that sticks around a long time - but that's a non-issue on bigger streets.

Do have to be careful though if it warms up a lot then freezes, though, as if stuff melts enough to overcome evaporation you can end up with frozen runoff. In sketchier conditions, I limit my riding to the roads I drive daily so I know what to expect.

12. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Another consideration is the salt and/or sand they spread on the road. Around here, they don't really plow the first few centimeters. They just salt like madness. The powder residue is as bad as ice for traction, and it gets in the nooks and crannies causing terrible corrosion. Unless you wash the bike, which is colder than riding in this weather!

Stumplifter likes this.
  13. Wintersdark

They use pea gravel here, which is scary slippery, and salt, so there's that too. But the sun is so intense here even when cold it melts any leftover ice/snow on the roads fast and the gravel breaks it up.

It's not bad, but you definitely need to pay attention.

14. dowski68

This morning as usual they said rain and no rain. I took this opportunity to give the women of the house some room and me some sanity I RIDE!!
    For some unknown reason since I always have my bike on the center stand I have been warming up the bike in first gear.
    What I have noticed is that the warm up time is less and when the bike stops being so choppy and goes into smooth idle mode I know it is good to go.
    Just thought I would mention it to see what kind of responses I would get pros and cons?
    After about 20 minutes I stopped to check my phone as my youngest daughter went to the hospital to have my newest addition to the clan Maddison, before I could even respond my phone is blowing up with Maddison is here!!!!!!!!!:eek:
    I am like damn she has only been there for 40 minutes
    reminded me of stewie griffin LOL
    What a wonderful day oh and now it is raining. Yet I home and dry.
    Have a great day my friends:)

Rooster53 and Wintersdark like this.
  15. Wintersdark

I'm not seeing a problem, but I'll give that a go and compare as I only really use the center stand too. Mine idles pretty smooth even when cold though, but I have my idle set higher than most (1300ish). Can't see any harm, other than a really embarassing stall if you dropped off the stand without clutch.

Congratulations about the new family member!

16. dowski68

The embarrassing stall part I have already done when I was leaving work one night lol.
    Thank you for your kind words.

Stumplifter and Wintersdark like this.
  17. dowski68

Today is nice and sunny-roads are wet but will soon be dry.
    Luckily my wife volunteered me to go get our grandson from Grants Pass, Oregon. Her reasoning was that will give the roads time to dry out-How thoughtful of her.

k-moe and Wintersdark like this.
  18. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

That would a nice long ride----

19. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I put some miles on her for the first time since mid-August.
    If you ever have the opportunity to attend grad school while working two jobs, don't.

Wintersdark and Dadoseven like this.
  20. bostonbacon

bostonbacon Member

After almost two years of putting it off... I finally got started on this:

[​IMG]

Had to call a stop because nobody around me has an M16 x 1.5 bolt to pull the stator out. Still, not bad for a day's work.

wgul likes this.