1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

Stumplifter likes this.
  2. CactusJack578

CactusJack578 Member

I rode in a hurricane once in South Carolina back in 76. I've ridden in all kinds of weather but you won't catch me riding in a hurricane again. Don't know what the wind speed was but I can tell you it was like riding on the high seas without the up and down motion of a ship. I rode into wave after wave of walls of cold water and roaring wind. After about 2 hours of this I decided it wasn't going to let up and I was going to be killed. So I turned around and headed south. The further south I went the clearer the skies got. When the adrenaline quit the chills set in and I stopped for a hot coffee. Suddenly It was a beautiful night. So I finished my coffee and hopped onto the bike and headed north again. I made it all the way to Columbia, South Carolina. The weather was beautiful like I was riding in a different world. As I sat waiting at a traffic light I got rear ended by a doctor in a Triumph sports car.

Wintersdark, Jetfixer and chacal like this.
  3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

No good deeds go unpunished.........

4. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

The literally sounds rather cool. I like that the winner is based on an average speed.

Wintersdark likes this.
  5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

They should give an award based on shrinkage...:confused:

Wintersdark, CactusJack578 and BigT like this.
  6. CactusJack578

CactusJack578 Member

I would definitely win shrinkage. I used to ride in the winter. I had a bike set up for it at that time. That road salt really takes a toll on the bike. But man o man a New Years ride in MinneSNOWda?? Wooo Hooo!

Wintersdark and Jetfixer like this.
  7. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

So came home temp was in upper 40's had not touched bike for awhile , other than tender . So cranked bike it caught a few times but still would not catch so got my bigger charger out and hooked it up , finally started ..sort of went to open throttle and she died , played with enrichment lever still coughing and THEN it happened the starter stuck hit kill switch no effect shut off key no effect...ran to get wrench to pull battery cable ..bike is against wall in my garage ...she finally quit without me doing anything else ...had I thought about it guess pulling the fuse would have stopped it. Recharged battery over night and bike cranks over fine , but I'm going to replace start solenoid as precaution . I don't want to move bike as I have it positioned in garage just right so I will wait till spring to mess with it. :(

8. wgul

wgul Active Member

Anyone here NOT put away their baby for the winter ? I thought I was going to this season ( first winter with a bike) but I've decided to continue doing what I've been doing ; riding when the roads are clear and it's 30' or higher. Happy with this decision because I don't think i could have made it having to wait until spring

9. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Mine technically isn't put away...however, with all of the salt they have been dumping on the roads for all of the snow we're not getting so even when the temps get back into a range that I would ride, I don't because of all the salt and sand on the roads

10. Stumplifter

Definitely winter in this part of the cheesehead state...
    I made sure that the tape was in place covering my mufflers - still need to get barn cats.

When I was in Milwaukee riding in cooler temps was more attainable- but I recall a few times with temps in the lower 30's where the pavement that appeared dry actually had a bit of frost on it. Pucker factor high!

Be careful out there!

wgul and Chitwood like this.
  11. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Battery is out, carbs run dry-ish, cover is on, all tucked away in the back corner of the garage. I can get it on the road in less than 20 minutes if the temperature ever gets up above -20. Fingers not crossed...

12. Plug

Plug Active Member

Nope, rode today. Not too bad, was upper 30s on way home from the grocery store...but I am game when it is above 35

13. Stumplifter

... because the snowmobile is parked just outside your back door?

Chitwood likes this.
  14. wgul

wgul Active Member

Whoa; where are you?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  15. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Eastern Ontario. Coldest winter in years. Last year I was bbqing in a t-shirt at this point. And no snowmobile in my life...too freaking cold.

16. Stumplifter

Canadians generally run on Celsius. -20 C is about -4 F .

Just plain old COLD.
    Winter - put some layers on, split more wood and watch the days start to get longer. Dream of dry, salt/ sand free roads and buds on shrubs.

17. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

I was flying down the hiway doing about 160k thinking how well she was running. I pulled off the hiway and the engine started to bog down and started running on 2 cylinders. Ended up throwing it in the back of the van and driving it home. I dont know if I was imagining it but I may have smelt a burning wire.

18. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

Mines covered right now, as it's -20C currently and there's a foot of snow outside, but the moment roads are fully clear and dry I'll be on the XJ again. She certainly doesn't get put away, and hell I don't even pull the battery. Battery tender and cover, stabilizer in the (now ethanol free, thanks to the local Shell station's silly "nitro v-power" gas) fuel and that's about that. I leave the carbs full of gas, mostly because draining them is incredibly awkward, and also because it never goes more than a two weeks without at least being started and run up to temp for a while so the fuel is always cycled.

19. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

Figure out what happened?

20. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

No, too much Christmas going on right now. I'm just happy its sitting at home and not on the side of the road. Hoping I'll have time to take a look sometime between now and New Years but I may be being optimistic.

wgul and Wintersdark like this.