1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Bike finished ready for the road just to XJ 900 F Today.jpg start to de rust the tank tomorrow and fix the paint on the belly pan. Checked all the electrics today and all is well.

2. Joe34

Joe34 Active Member

Last night I have conpleted putting the X back together. Everything seems to be wpoking great. Now the weather needs to warm up .

3. Fonderthud

Fonderthud New Member

I just finished putting the needle back together on my speedo, lubed up a new speedo cable too. The speedo cable started seizing up when I was around Lake George last fall and pop went the needle. I got it started it for the first time this year yesterday. So now I have to change all my fluids.

4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Wet checked my mikunis today, close enough to start the maxim. Ordered a new pair of coils, so hopefully thursday should get it fired up. Also checked out the wiring on one of the rh bar switches I bought on ebay, all makes sense - except that I noticed the Haynes manual I have has the start and kill switch numered wrongly (reversed) on the 650 (uk spec from memory) wiring diagram. How could they get it this wrong?

5. Andy555

Andy555 Active Member

Hy again to all,soo new problem on my bike,lets start:
    In winter i put bike apart-not the engine in just take it out,and paimt the frame now in put it all together start the bike and he was runing poor,so i chec gas vacum bouth ok then i check spark and found two (#2 and #3) was gone spark plug,soo i change all four andnow bike wont start,is just trying to start but is not.soo i check all sparks and are good.
    Any idea?

6. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Pulled the 700 out to take a quick ride and pick up a few items. With the bad weather and busy work schedule, it's been over a month since the last ride. Shame on me. I was so excited to get out there as it was almost 50 degrees today. She hesitated at first, but then came around. Got to the end of the drive and decided to do a quick check...

Headlight: Good!
    Horn: Good!
    Tires: Good!
    Left Signal: Good!
    Right Signal: Good!
    Front Brake Light Switch: Good!
    Back Brake Light Switch: Good!

What? What's that? Where's my Plate???

Oh yeah, I forgot that a couple of weeks ago I pulled the license plate and put it on the back of the 650 for a few laps around the block (she's not on the road yet)... I never put it back!

Here's to always remembering that pre ride inspection.

Chitwood and Jetfixer like this.
  7. Minimutly

After work today I broke out the wires from the Lh control switch socket, pushed the wires into like for like colours on the loom, hotwired the ignition switch, fitted a set of 10A fuses, and pressed the start switch. The red light winked on, but no cranking. There is a relay missing under the tank, looks like it could be the start inhibit relay. Red/wht, red/wht, light green, and black/yellow wires. Shorted the reds out, pressed the button and wahay, she spins.

8. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

This post is called "What did I do FOR my (other) Yamaha today?

I sat in the DMV for almost two hours while I waited to apparently leave empty handed... No New Plate... No New Reg... Arrrgh!

The backstory:

So... The new RJ came from CT. I'm in NY.
    CT has a "rolling 20 year rule" on titles, or at least to the best of my understanding. Anything OVER 20 years old, doesn't get a title.

In other words...
    Lets say that today, I live in CT and I buy a 2018 Yamaha. I will receive a title as the owner of that vehicle. Then let's say I hold on to it for 21 years and sell it. As far as I can tell, the new owner turns in the existing title in the transfer of ownership and will not be issued a new title because the bike is older than 20 years old. Now throw a string of buyers and sellers over several years and you can see how the title (especially the original one) will be nowhere to be found. This is also apparently not a problem as long as the vehicle stays in CT... Buy, sell, Loan it to your Aunt Nanny, whatever... You can even register it without the complete VIN (more on that below)...

If someone really knows differently, please enlighten us... This is only based on my limited experiences so far .

Meanwhile in NY, we do have a "no title" situation, but it is not related to the AGE of the bike. NY started issuing titles just after 1969 (I know this because I have a 69 VW... no title, just a transferrable reg.) So if a vehicle is sold in NY and it was manufactured after 1969, it will receive a new title for each new owner. Regardless of how old it gets!

I knew the CT PO did not have a title, but I wanted that RJ! It's quite the specimen!

I made an initial trip to the NY DMV before I purchased the bike. I told them what I knew and what I was going to receive from the current owner and the 20 year rule thing.
    They told me, "Just get the current owner's registration and a hand written bill of sale, fill out the paperwork and you'll be good to go..."

Deal made. Bike home.

I made the unfortunate choice to go to the DMV at 2:30pm today, on a day that they are open till 6PM. Here's a secret... they only move at a reasonable pace when it's close to quitting time! 20 stations and only about 8-9 of them were being utilized.

TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK... They have this weird number and letter system for the "next up" customer... probably to throw you off and keep you guessing....

A person could go crazy waiting in there...

"OMG when is my number going to come up?"
    "Why do they keep calling all the 'H' numbers?"
    "What the deuce?"
    "Come on lady behind the counter with the cat sweater on, you're done with that person, hit the button and take the next customer.... No! It's not time for your break!"
    "Did I lock the car?"
    "What's that smell?"

My number comes up "C918!" HOORAY!

I finally get to the counter.
    I give the guy my stuff.
    "I'd like to register this motorcycle please," I say to the guy.
    He's not happy that there is no title. (Remember a 1982 motorcycle is not that old as far as NY is concerned... we should have titles on our 82's)
    The CT registration does not say "transferrable" like a NY registration would if there is no title.
    He leaves to go ask "his boss."
    He's gone a while.
    He comes back.
    He says... "OK I think we can work with this!"
    I'm thinking "Woo Hoo!"
    He pulls out a shiny new plate... Don't act too excited Nuch, be cool, be cool!
    He looks at my insurance card.
    He looks at the CT Reg.
    He looks back at the insurance card.
    He looks at the CT reg...
    The CT registration has a shortened Vin.
    It doesn't match the insurance card.
    He's not happy.
    There's no JYA... There's some Alpha characters missing from the middle but indeed it ends with the same 4 digits.
    This of course doesn't match my new insurance cards because I gave the insurance company the vin on the actual frame. They wouldn't accept the number on the CT reg.

He leaves again to talk to "the boss"
    I feel like the situation is slipping through my fingers...
    I gaze longingly at that shiny new plate just laying there...

I start thinking, "I can grab it and make a run for it!"
    "No that won't work you idiot!"

He returns...
    He says, "Yeah... I'm going to need a picture of the vin on the motorcycle to submit to the state."

Yay! I have one on my phone!
    He says, "A HARD COPY! And we can't print it here so you'll have to come back!"

Doh!

And just like in the movies... he looked at me and slowly pulled the shiny new license plate back towards him and put it in the drawer.

So close...

I felt like the kid Ralphie in that movie "A Christmas Story" where one of Santa's helpers kicks him down the slide and he bellows... "Noooooooo"

Here's to hoping that a the requested hard copy picture satisfies NYS...
    I was told that once this is worked out, NYS will be issuing a new title in my name.
    I mean after all, It's only a 1982.... and when I get it,
    I'll be Partying like it's 1999!

Another day I my RJ friend... Another Day.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Ketchup, Stumplifter and Jetfixer like this.
  9. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

I looked at my XJ, inspected for any furry rodents (seat is inside) and sighed deeply.

5-8" of snow tonight.

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

most states that do not title oldbikes can give you a certifacte of nontitled.

you should not have added the aditional numbers to the vin for your insurance.

next option is register it in VT through the mail you will get plates registration and ask for non title cert.

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

got up at 6:00am made coffee went through my preride inspectiosn while waiting for the thermoter to hit 34 degrees F..
    fired up the XJ550H and went for a 100 mile ride around the block
    first ride of the year
    another cup of coffee and I will be firing up the XJ750J and log in some more miles
    :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Chitwood and Jetfixer like this.
  12. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Funny I went on a real nice 150 mile ride with lots of twisties...in my mind anyway this 40 degree temp and rain is getting old and some areas getting that dirty word SNOW.:(

Stumplifter and joe elliff like this.
  13. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

Took apart and cleaned a spare petcock to prepare for rebuild and restore my Seca back to original petcock.
    Now to order parts from the only place you should; XJ4EVER.

597764F4-F999-4DB1-9A39-F3522992339C.jpeg

Stumplifter and Jetfixer like this.
  14. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I ran across a set of lower shock mount eyelets in my bottomless box of spare bike parts. Compared to the existing lower mounts they are 1 1/4" longer. They have sat on the workbench for about a month so today I experimented and gave them a try. They don't really change the handling characteristics of the bike but they do change the seat height and overall look of the bike.
    Here's before: 20180226_172247.jpg and after. 2018-03-31 13.22.05.jpg
    Still on the fence if it works for me so I'll think about it while riding it.

15. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

2018-03-30 19.12.43.jpg
    Opposite view with shocks adjusted down one notch on paddock stand...

Dadoseven likes this.
  16. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Notice the shocks are the same length regardless of what notch you set? That's because you only adjusting preload on the springs -- you're not changing the length of the shock

17. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Progressive's "system" wouldn't accept the short vin... This short vin I realized is actually on the frame where the Tripple tree passes through. It is stamped (etched?) in the metal And painted over. The other vin (with the JYA etc) is on the other side and is on the large white sticker.

No problems though... I went to another DMV location. That person didn't raise any of the issues that the prior person did... All done. I should get my title in the mail in a few weeks!

Stumplifter likes this.
  18. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Larry: I really like the higher ride height on the rear, gives it a more aggressive stance.

Nuch: Great to see you had success on registering the Seca. Crossing my fingers that I'll be able to do the same here in CT on just a "Bill of Sale with the two project bikes I'm building.

As far as what I did, here's a short clip on the exhaust I custom built:

Tony

Nuch likes this.
  19. nablats

nablats Member

been sealing my petrol tank cleaning carbs - pondering whether to fit all new internals with the carb repair kits? it all looks pretty clean - but will the needle valves be ok - the modern fuels additives, maybe just try them and see what happens....

20. Minimutly

Pinched the clutch lever mechanism, front brake m/c off my kawasaki gpz to go on the flat barred maxim. Sorted out a new inner throttle cable , tested on my spare carbs. Still waiting for the ignition coils.