1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

So went to a community garage sale got some craftsman 6 point metric deep well sockets 1.00 $ each spent 10$, and same stand bought an airbrush compressor for 5$ ...went to harbor freight and spent too much but did buy some 4 wheel dollies my spare engine fits perfect. So checked compression 120 psi on all 4 cylinders my spare car battery was not fully charged so it was unknown when engine was last ran that was not too bad . I got the engine off forum member Joe Eliff great guy thanks Joe , he also sold me a headlight bucket so painted semi glossy black , the one on my bike is faded and has a cracked corner . Wish it would warm up I want to replace head bearings .

Stumplifter likes this.
  2. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Hard to say what is normal these days.

Sadly it isn't abnormal, but winter came early in Irma and it seems to be taking it's sweet arse time leaving. I'm ready for it to be done.

Last year on this very day the grass was green as we sat on a gentle rise and said goodbye to our 16.5 year old cocker/ retriever mix.

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Small consolation perhaps, but winter is hanging on here, wet as heck, farmers desperately looking for feed for their cattle.

4. Jetfixer

Pouring rain here and turning to snow all this week cold.:( this weather is hurting pool supply places, land scapers,motorcycle dealers basically anything out doors usually by this time I would have riden quite a bit but I've only put 35miles on .

5. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

20180415_144527.jpg
    Quick blue ridge ride before the crappy weather rolls in...

6. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Tigged up a float chamber that had corroded to swiss cheese around the jet sump, then left it soaking in alum solution to see if the remains of the drain plug screw will disappear. If it works next job, to tackle the two float valve screws in the set I had on the bike earlier this week

7. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I grew up in SD, and this spring's snowfall is unusual in its frequency. Not unusual to get one snowfall in April or even real early May. It is unusual to have snow on the ground, and more snow every 5th day....arrrgh.

At least the forecasters got it wrong in my area. We got 2-3 inches instead of the 12 to 18 inches predicted.

However, more predicted day after tomorrow. Will spring never arrive????

8. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

No, it won't. Never ever again. It's all over. It was nice while it lasted. But this is the end.

Andyam5 and cgutz like this.
  9. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

oooooooooo..... when I was a teen and cable TV was a brand new thing.... I came home late, baked out of my mind, to a pitch black basement and turned on the TV and couldn't understand why the screen was black. 5 seconds later cue Napalm explosions and Jim Morrison... Apocalypse Now opening sequence... epic.

I had never seen it... was an out of body experience.

MattiThundrrr and Stumplifter like this.
  10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

anyone remember the slogan Fight Pay TV?

Stumplifter, Tim O and cgutz like this.
  11. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

19" on top of the 12" last week.... yea, this is kinda abnormal. Some locals are calling it a 'historic weather event'.

Similar situation... came home baked, was told that if you removed the sticker on the bottom of the cable box and stuck a key in the correct hole that you could unscramble HBO, etc. well I guess I picked the wrong hole, there was a spark, the magic smoke came out of the cable box and the breaker tripped. There I sat in the dark, freaked out, jaw agape waiting for my Dad to come downstairs - he never did, but was irritated when the cable box wouldn't turn on the next morning.

We only have over the air digital these days. :Blackalien Too broke for any fancy stuff like basic cable. o_O

Jetfixer likes this.
  12. nablats

nablats Member

soda blasted the engine cases ready for paint, tapped out the old steering bearings ready for new taper rollers

Jetfixer likes this.
  13. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Synched the 82 650 last night, unloaded it from the trailer this morning and loaded up the 81 650 to bring to work for broken exhaust stud removal and replacement. Then it will get it's turn on the synch gauges

14. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

I ordered the rebuild kits for my front forks through CHACAL! Always been the right parts the first time!!!
    What I wanted to get off my chest is that on the 9th of April my wife passed suddenly and unexpected no warning at all.
    So In her memory I rode 450 miles in the next three days. That is what I did. Still have some grieving to do however riding my XJ700X is keeping me focused on what I am still able to appreciate LIFE.
    Summer just around the corner and I forsee many more miles to be riden!
    As mentioned before waiting for front forks kits and off I go.
    Life can change in an instant-Appreciate those around you

Stumplifter and Jetfixer like this.
  15. Fromashedinwigan

Fromashedinwigan New Member

Sorry for your loss mate.

16. Jetfixer

So sorry for your loss...agree riding help clear the mind it is hard when you lose a spouse my wife is on dialysis and is only 48 I worry about her.

17. dowski68

Yes my wife was just 50 and she loed to ride with me. No wrningat all at least she was asleep and it was painless and quick.
    thank you for your kind words.

18. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Just be sure to keep that 700 Sunnyside up and ride on man.
    I on the other hand succeeded in extracting a broken exhaust stud from the 81 650 maxim this afternoon. It was a bit of a struggle as it was the outside stud for cylinder 3, almost behind the frame tube. Finally pulled the #3 Exhaust header and within 20 min or so had it out. Now to finish putting everything back together so it can be started up for the first time since shim change and getting out of church

19. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

@dowski68 my sincere condolences for your loss. You often mentioned her in your posts, and always with the affection and humor of relating to a best friend.

Stumplifter likes this.
  20. dowski68

Thank You Sir, yes Ihave lost my best friend.