1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What plastic dip gas tank.

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Ribo, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    The lady is sporting a new white plastic dip gas tank - what y'all think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Looks good. Now go do it in paint.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i like the white on black. did you ever use that plasti-dip on anything else?

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

plasti dip is that the stuff i used to buy to dip my pliers handles into?
    yamaha logo looks cool

5. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Well no - nothing else except I did the tank black before - oh and i did a test on the cat.

Moe - the whole point is that the tank is green painted underneath with a 2K clear - I'm not going to repaint this one but doing it in plastic dip let's me change it real easy - it only tanks an hour, and it's temporary and can be removed by just pealing it off. It lasts about 3 weeks if you're careful with it so I kinda dig it. It's like it's wearing a shirt.

Yes it's the same stuff you dip your plier handles in but in a spray can.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

so you can change your bikes personality every few weeks:rolleyes:

spray can, i was wondering how you made it so smooth

7. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

yep - it's pretty slick. To be honest the finish isn't that smooth, it does have a fine texture to it but it kinda adds to the look. I also used a "glosifier" that's sold by the same people specifically for plastic dip. You can buy this in industrial grade too and many people have started doing it to cars, boats etc etc. When done professionally with that kind of equipment the finish is very smooth and better than paint because it's self-leveling, plus there's more options for top-coat that'll protect it more but you can still peal it off with a bit more effort. That makes it tougher too and let's you wash it by hand just like a regular car - no carwash though. :)

The key to doing it with spray cans is just like with paint - do the right prep, take your time and do 1 fine coat at a time, build it up. 10 fine coats are better than 5 not so fine ones. That's the biggest mistake noobs make. You can't rush it however, unlike paint this stuff dries in minutes so you can do a tack-coat and then start your second coat 3 mins later, then I tend to give it 5 mins between coats as opposed to 30 with paint. Each coat is a short bursts in one direction and takes about 1 min. Next coat go the other direction. This means that it takes less than an hour from start to finish including prep to change the tank color - it's one can so costs like $10.

8. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not really related but I once put red plastic dip on the belly fairing of my sport bike. To weeks later I removed it and the red actually discolored my plastics :(

9. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Did it turn it red or change the color? Bringing off the clear coat or even both that and the underlying paint or a layer there-of can happen on older sports bikes especially on faring that has seen it's share of road chemicals, oil and gas. It's not a fault of the plastic dip it's a fault of the bike manufacturer for not using a strong enough clear.

10. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not sure how to answer your first question. It turned red, so yes, it changed color.
    No idea what happened and why. Bike's a 2006 and not a cheap one. Thankfully this only happened on the edges and is hardly noticeable from 10 feet away but still...
    I just didn't expect this.

Anywho, I think your tank looks sharp. Like the yamaha ghost effect

11. zap2504

zap2504 Member

I did not think that Plasti-Dip was fuel-resistant. If this is true, the first gas overfill (or dribble) will start taking it off.

12. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

You are correct that it's not gas proof. Gasoline actually doesn't really lift it off, it really just eats it - that is why I don't dribble and never overfill :) - basically you have to be careful but it's not hard - I just wrap a paper-towel around the gas nozzle and wipe it and hold it on the end after "almost" filling up while I move the pump nozzle away from the tank. The key too is actually to hold the nozzle upright before getting it over the tank hole when first starting to pump. Often there's a little bit left in the end when a car driver puts it back on the pump and it will dribble out when tipped down. Option B is to pour this on the ground first and then paper towel it over the tank but I got it down now.

All said and done if you have a paper towel over the end of the nozzle whenever it's over the tank nothing is going to spill - I tend to only let it flow at 1/2 speed to so to avoid any spray back and leave a good 1/2 inch below full to avoid anything coming back out the cap for the first 10 miles.

Here's what's cool though - let's say you do spill some - and I have. You just soak up what you can with a paper towel, let it dry and then when you get home you spray on some more dip and it will seamlessly blend into what's already there - 5 mins and it never happened. If it was a large amount of gas you might need to redo it but then that's again what I like about this - it take an hour if that to do the tank from start to finish.