1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What's your favorite cigar/ brand of cigars?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by smeagol21b, Aug 5, 2017.

1. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Picked up my first cigar today in years! And man did I miss it! Unfortunately I had to settle on another brand then my usual as planet ryo in Hanover or Lancaster doesn't carry CAO brand( MX2 box press are my favorites!),today I picked up a Drew estate Java mint, which I must admit is very smooth and tasty!
    So who else enjoys the occasional stogie and what is your cigar of choice? To me there is nothing more relaxing after a long week than a good cigar and a cold drink!(today it's just water for me lol)

Attached Files:

Dadoseven likes this.
  2. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Had a variety of Cubans many moons ago, some were good, some not so much. Not a big cigar guy, working on curbing my current cancer stick addiction; one pack lasts about a week, far from being a chain smoker but the few I have a day are anticipated and appreciated.

smeagol21b likes this.
  3. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

I used to smoke about a pack or two a day, quit cold turkey when I found out my daughter is allergic to cigarette smoke, but this was my first cigar in years and kids are with there grandma today! I enjoy puffing on them now and then, better than inhaling the cigarette smoke... especially since I found out I have asthma lol

4. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I like Romeo Y Julieta, good enough for the Terminator, good enough for me! And Monte Christo, and Hemingway, and Cohibas. Lucky for Matti, Cubans are readily available in Canada. I've had some really nice Honduran tobacco as well. Secret cheap smoke: Panthers from Holland. Small like a cigarette, so it's a quick little puff, but sometimes it's smooth like a bag of rakes. My doctor insists I quit cigarettes, but he said nothing about cigars or other smoke... Never quitting that!
    I'll add a question: what do you drink with your smoke? I did Jameson's Caskmates the other day, and it was fantastic. I usually go with Canadian whiskey, but now, I'm branching out. Also tried it with some nice Bourbon, but the caramel notes didn't match as well as the smoky Irish whiskey did.

smeagol21b likes this.
  5. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Hmm that's a good list! If you're looking for another quick puff try NUB by drew estate,they short but fat just like... Now I'm not much of a drinker and when I do drink it's usually Coors light or Guinness genuine drought. Red wine goes well with lots of cigars in my opinion! Occasionally I like I glass of scotch with my stogies... Crazygnat give me a swig of this whiskey he gets, I don't remember the name but it had a really nice vanilla note to it! I'm sure he will chime in on this soon enough lol. A buddy of mine only drinks cognac when he smokes but I've never tried...

6. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

I used to be into just about all things tobacco, but gave it up (mostly) for the kids. I still have a cigar when we're up hunting at my buddy's cabin. My go to is usually CAO Moontrance made with pipe tobacco. Pipes were always my favorite, and the cedar wrapper (you have to get the normal ones, not the ones in the tin) really sets it off. My cigars always get paired with either bourbon or rye.

The bourbon smeagol got was most likely Bulleit. That's pretty much my house whiskey.

Stumplifter and smeagol21b like this.
  7. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Where do you get your CAO cigars at? I'm having a hard time finding them...

8. TheCrazyGnat

Usually at Tobacco Palace at the park city mall. I used to go to genuine tobacco in York when I lived out there though. I've never found them in a gas station or anything like that, just the smaller ones in tins.

smeagol21b likes this.
  9. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

In my area, Captain Black makes a pipe tobacco cigar. You can smell em from a block away. Delicious! Haven't had one in years. Used to be my buddy's brand, but he quit when his lady got cancered. Damn smoking is dmub. Why do I like it so much?

TheCrazyGnat and smeagol21b like this.
  10. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

I'd like to have my own cigar lounge someday....I think that would be just great!

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  11. TheCrazyGnat

Black and mild makes a wood tipped pipe tobacco cigar as well that is cheap and tasty. I stay away from them though because they are easy to get.

12. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  13. TheCrazyGnat

Most of the bulk tobacco sold around here is Lane. I usually kept the 1-Q around. http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand/35/lane-limited
    I never "developed" my palate past the aromatics, which are supposedly better, but I was allowed to smoke this stuff in the house occasionally.

14. Craig B

Craig B Active Member

Had some really nice hand rolled cigars when I was in Cuba. However i am a non smoker so what do I know.

smeagol21b likes this.
  15. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Hey gnat, we are talking real cigars here not those gas station cardboard cigars. I think your yard could use a mini smokers lounge, we should build one! Lol I love the smell of a good cigar! I can't wait till autumn, crisp evening air, warm sweater, a stiff drink and a big ole Churchill or double Corona to puff on while watching the sun set....don't get any better!( Especially after a long bike ride!)

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  16. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Man O War does some side project cigars, got a 52c in a sampler years ago and I still think that was the best cigar I've ever had. I refuse to pay the retail price but occasionally you'll see their side project sampler on ci.com for a good price. Normally I'll smoke whatever's on sale Its the bourbon that makes the experience!

17. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

So can anyone recommend a decent but affordable humidor?

18. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

I smoke something different every time. My favs are most anything from Don Pepin Garcia; My Father Le Bijou, DPG Blue label, etc. My favorite from DPG is Jaime Garcia. Tatuaje, LFD, Roma Craft, Black Label Trading Co., Arturo Fuente Anejo and Hemingways, most anything Crowned Heads, .... many more. I used to smoke a pipe, but put it aside about a year ago. I imagine I will pick it up again at some point.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    smeagol21b likes this.
  19. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

A Tupperware or equivalent sealed container. Use Boveda packs for humidity control. Inexpensive and nearly foolproof. Wooden humidors can be fussy and are prone to leak, especially in the lower end. A quality wood humidor will put you back a good sum of change. Save the dough for cigars or motorcycle parts.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  20. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

I've been thinking about using an old ammo can, maybe line it with some Spanish cedar( mostly just cause it gives me a reason to get many wood tools out), can't beat the seals on them!

TheCrazyGnat and Dadoseven like this.