1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

While forks off, what else to do?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by turpentyne, Aug 16, 2017.

1. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

I'm working through the brakes, as money allows. Next up is front - replacing tire, rebuilding calipers and new wheel bearings. (Already did master cylinder and brake lines)

I'm having that internal fight over wanting to ride and wanting to prep properly. I think I've convinced myself to be patient and redo the fork seals since the tire and calipers are off.

My question is, while I'm at that point, are there any other "might as well" things to update?

I haven't yet gotten the front off the ground, so It's a good time to plan ahead.

2. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Check the steering head bearings. Unless they have been replaced they will be the ball bearing type. Check for roughness and or notches. If money allows, not a bad time to replace them with the tapered roller bearing type especially if the forks are off already. I agree, I'd definitely go ahead and rebuild the forks themselves while they're off as well. Just my 2 cents

k-moe likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

If you can't afford to upgrate to tapered roller bearings on the steering head, go ahead and clean and re-pack the originals (if they, and the races, are serviceable).
    Be careful, the bearings are loose, and th lower set will fall out and go all over. I like to use a magnet under the steering head to catch them.

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

^^+1 Yes they will, at the last point you think they would...there they go.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

things to do to pass the time
    link
    Clean and lube the ignition switch
    and any other connectors you can find or have to dissemble as you go electric contact spray an eraser and dielectric grease.

this is good to do
    Your Gas Cap and You

also dissemble both handle controls clean and grease
    lube your cables you can use the gravity method because you have time

Stumplifter likes this.