1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj 750 oil cooler options

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by pl240sx, Mar 7, 2018.

1. pl240sx

pl240sx New Member

hello, I'm fairly new to modifying motorcycles but have been working on cars for the last 13 years. I have a 1982 xj750 maxim that i just recently did and r6 front end swap on and i'm pretty happy with how the bike is coming along.
    I just had a couple questions about oil coolers. I know I can get one from the following models 1984-85 FJ600, 1986-88 FZ600, 1986-90 YX600 Radian, all XJ650, all XJ700, all XJ750, and all XJ900 models, but I cannot locate one. is it possible to use a oil filter sandwich plate from a car? what thread pitch would I need? I have a welder and i am able to make any mounting brackets and get lines and a cooler easily. I just need to find a plate that will mount up to the block. I was thinking something like this would work. I would be happy with the part number to a spin on filter and I could go from there too. Thanks. oil cooler plate.jpg

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I have an entire FZ600 assembly hanging on the wall. $50 if you're interested just send me a PM.

3. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I believe that xj4ever carries one specifically designed for xjs. There is a link to their catalog in the top right corner of every page here. It is listed in the "Engine" section, about half way down the page.

"SPIN-ON OIL FILTER CONVERSION KIT:

os1) Aftermarket Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter Kit....okay, the original Yamaha cartridge oil filter system is "adequate", but for real oil filtering capabilities and ease of filter replacement---not to mention a certain cool-factor!---you really want to upgrade the factory system to an automotive-type spin-on "can" filter. Doing so not only gets you better oil filtration, easier (much easier) oil changes, but also eliminates the oil cleaner cover, the easy-to-strip by-pass bolt, and all the other associated o-rings and seals needed when performing an oil change using a stock system.

This system consists of six pieces:

a) a precision-machined aluminum filter Adapter Plate and mounting Nut.
    b) a threaded mounting Stud and a corresponding stud installation Tool.
    c) a plate-to-block O-ring Seal.
    d) your choice of a variety of quality spin-on mini-can oil filter.
    e) installation instructions.

This kit contains everything you'll need to replace your original set-up on any XJ550, 1984-85 FJ600, 1986-88 FZ600, 1986-90 YX600 Radian, all XJ650, all XJ700, all XJ750, and all XJ900 models. NOTE: these conversion kits will work on both all original non-oil-cooler equipped models, as well as on all factory oil-cooler-equipped models without the use of any additional parts."

4. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Shoot, I just realized that wasn't it... There is a cooler that attaches to it...
    Yup, a little further down the page there's a section on coolers

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I tried that route. There isn't enough room for the fittings to clear the upper front engine mounting bolt.

pl240sx likes this.
  6. pl240sx

pl240sx New Member

Okay, thanks for the reply guys. Here a picture of the bike. I haven't ridden it since I did the new fork. 20180205_182706_resized.jpg

Brian Goldberg likes this.
  7. pl240sx

pl240sx New Member

Oh yes I saw those, way too expensive. Could never justify 600$+ for one of those, but thanks for reminding of those.

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

why do you want an oil cooler its just extra bling

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  9. XJ550H

LarryMc and pl240sx like this.
  10. pl240sx

pl240sx New Member

Utah temperatures are pretty hot in the summer and there is a lot of stop and go traffic.

XJ550H likes this.
  11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

An oil cooler would be helpful there, but isn't a necessity. My 750 didn't have an oil cooler until 3 years ago.
    Keep looking on Ebay and you'll find all the pieces you need.

12. pl240sx

pl240sx New Member

I found one thank's for all of the help. @XJ550H

13. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Bikes that are high revving, like ours, suffer from oil breakdown at a accelerated rate. The easiest way to reduce the viscosity loss with oil is to assist in keeping the temperature lower when and where possible. An oil cooler is the "go to" solution to lengthen the oils service life. Shorter intervals between oil changes is the only other option besides babying the bike when you ride it. What fun would that be?
    I believe the European versions of XJs came standard with oil coolers. They ride the hell out of their bikes over there.

14. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Nice work on the front end swap!
    Make sure you have gas tank clearance lock to lock on your steering before buttoning everything up.

pl240sx likes this.
  15. XJ550H

It would be interesting to know the euro vs NA model FSM oil change spec.

North America
    XJ550,XJ650 5k miles 8k Km oil filter 5k miles 8K km
    XJ750 2K miles 3K KM , oil filter 3K miles 5K KM
    XJ900 4k miles 6k KM, oil filter 4K miles 6K km Has oil cooler
    XJ1100 5k miles 8k km oil filter 5k miles 8K km
    XJ650 turbo 2500 Miles 4k KM oil filter 5K miles 8k km
    XJ650-750 Police 3K miles 5k km oil filter 6k miles 10k km

euroxj650 3k miles 4k km oilfilter 6k miles 10k km

upload_2018-3-18_19-11-23.png

odd data for euro bike with oil cooler

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  16. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

That is odd data, definitely.
    My response to oil coolers being blingy was meant to define that they do have a actual, valid function. My point being, they aren't like the farkle kind of blingy accessory that you install with double back sticky tape.
    Different opinions on similar subjects are what makes it interesting and educational visiting this site. I wasn't conveying any disrespect regarding your opinion.

17. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Clarification:
    Farkles are accessories intended to improve some aspect of the vehicle in question.
    Screenshot_2018-03-18-18-26-00.png
    This person is in denial about having too many farkles. There is a confidential 12 step program that offers help with these matters.

chacal likes this.
  18. XJ550H

I fully understand that no disrespect was intended.
    oil is both a lubricant and a coolant in motors. I was surprised by the difference in the US xj650 and the Euro xj650 oil change schedule ,with the oil cooler model being changed more often. I did expect the turbo xj650 to be more a shorter change cycle just because of the turbo (oil critical part) and likely hood of it being ridden hard.

my thoughts on the oil cooler. If I had 2 XJ650s (one with an oil cooler) bikes ridden in the same location. I would expect to change the noncooler bike oil more often.oddly Yamaha does not address this in the FSM for US/North American bikes. Yamaha did offer it as an option but not standard because of price points needed to make sales. So it is implied it would not affect the motors run in the US or Canada.
    one factor in the euro bike is different carb jetting and possibly quality of fuel which may be why the Euro bike needs its oil changed more often.
    If one has an oil cooler do you follow the euro standard or North American standard for oil changes?

I also change oil and filter at the same time.

I can understand those riders below the warmer states line wanting oil coolers or city stop and go riders.

19. XJ550H

lights on for safety;)

20. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Or overcompensation for a REALLY plain sex life....