1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ600 Cafe Racer project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by GoCrazy, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Captn_Obvious

Captn_Obvious New Member

Did you check to make sure the stock jets are in there? The previous owner might have changed them.
    As you mentioned, check the floats. Also, set the fuel level/float height. My bike was running way too rich cause the the float bowls were overflowing. Once I set the proper float height it went lean, which is what I expected as I'm running pods (yes I'm running pods and I'm perfectly happy with them :D ). After that it was a matter of putting in the proper jets to get it to run properly.

BTW, do you live in the Tricity area by any chance?

2. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

Yes, the stock jets are there. I've checked the needle valves and it turns out that #3 and #4 are worn and they leak. I wanted to put pods as well, but my friend adwised me agaainst that. He switched to pods on his xj600 and it was a bad idea. On his second project with Xj600 he made a custom airbox -like pods setup and that actually worked.
    I live in Warsaw, thats around 350km to Tricity.

3. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

So I replaced my needle valves and wanted to set the float height. First I checked it with ruler - #1, #2, #3 were 22 mm, #4 23,5 mm. I set all to 22 mm. Since the manual says XJ600 floats should be 16,5-18,5 mm and I could not find what is the reference point for this height, I decided to check the fuel level with a rubber hose. After hour of looking for something that would work as an adaptor for the hose-bowl nipple, I finally checked the fuel level :
    #1 - ~3mm below the bowl - carb mating surface
    #2 - 4mm above the line,
    #3 - 6mm above the line,
    #4 could not unscrew the bolt, but it was clearly above the line as fuel leaked out of the carb

I don't know what to make of this - if the float height is higher than the specified height, there should be less fuel in a bowl and engine should run lean. Instead, there's too much fuel.
    Could it be that I measured the float height wrong? Or valve seats need replacing?

4. Captn_Obvious

Captn_Obvious New Member

If there's too much fuel, try adjusting the tabs on your floats so that the valve is closed sooner (with less fuel in the bowl). There's a great PDF on xj4ever on setting the floats: http://www.xj4ever.com/setting fuel levels.pdf

Try playing around with the floats. If you're still getting too much gasoline then it could be the valves leaking.

5. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

I've been playing with those tabs all afternoon and managed to set the right level on carbs #1 and #3. On the remainin two I can't bend it the right amount, it's either too much or not enough. Is there any trick for bending the tab?

6. desmotom

desmotom Active Member

Make sure the floats aren't upside down. I'm guilty of that :(

7. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

After few hours of bending the tabs up and down 3 carbs are set, one more to go :)

8. Captn_Obvious

Captn_Obvious New Member

Good point, been there done that :)

From what I noticed, even slight bends can have a significant impact on the fuel level in the bowl. Can be frustrating, but you gotta be patient :)

9. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

I've used electronic callipers the take measurments. Every 0,05 mm counts. Maybe it's due to the age of my bike, but for each carb there was a different height. I tried to set them according to the manual - no luck, I checked with the rubber hose method and each fuel level was different. After some time, I measured how much each tang protrudes above the flat surface of the float assembly. For one carb it's 1,65mm - this gives me the exact level of fuel in the carb. I tried exactly the same 1,65mm on another carb and the result was slightly different. Is it possible that each float has a slightly different displacement after 26 years of use ?

10. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

So I 've been having this issue lately - the bike doesn't start when cold. I need to use a few sprays of starting agent into the airbox, then it cranks several times before it finally starts. When it warms up, the engine starts like a charm.
    I've checked so far:
    - no air leaks around carbs and air intake
    - pilot screws set
    - carb balance and synch - done
    - new spark plugs
    - float level - set
    - I've checked the ignition coils resistance - it's 2,3 Ohm - according to the manual - 2,8 +/- 5% - can this result in weak spark ?

Yesterday, I borrowed a compression tester and it showed 100 psi on #1, #2, #4 and 105 psi on #3 cylinder. I performed the test on cold engine. When I sprayed some oil into each cylinder, the compression jumped up to 125- 130 psi. According to the manual, the min should be 142 psi. I was quite surprised at the results as the bike would start with no problems before I took it apart. Then I remembered that I changed oil according to the manual - fully synthetic and the PO must have used a thicker oil, possibly some "engine doctor" as well. As a result my new oil has flushed the carbon deposit making the engine loose compression. Am I right to suspect the low compression as the main culprit behind hard cold start issues? Should I check something else?

11. sybe

sybe Active Member

If your compression is that low, you might want to think about replacing the piston rings and checking the bore sizing and warping. It really not that hard to do. just a lil pricey. The head gasket alone is like 80 - 100 depending where you get it. For all the gaskets + grommets + rings and other various things it will cost around $300-400+. Also while she is apart go and check the valves and clean then.

12. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

That's my plan - replace the rings and check the valves. Indeed, prices are in 300 - 400 usd range. I hope the cylinder head is ok.

13. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

The manual should say that the compression test should be done with the engine warmed up and throttle held wide open so comparing a cold test to the manual specs doesn't give you an accurate indication

If the bike started fine before you took it apart then chances are it's something you've done, I can't see one oil change making that much difference, I've done that in plenty of bikes and it's made no difference

14. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

I did hold the throttle open, engine was cold as I wasn't able to start it. I was told by a Kawasaki tech guy, that compression check performed on cold engine is only slightly lower.

As for the oil change, switching from mineral or semi-synthetic to synthetic may result in flushing the gunk and carbon deposit.

15. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

Within one oil change? I doubt it would happen that fast

16. francois maltais

francois maltais New Member

Is your bike an xj650 82 seca by any chance? I could really use the final measurement for the custom triple tree if you have them!!

17. francois maltais

francois maltais New Member

Double post

18. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

My bike is XJ600 1990 and I don't have the measurments. They guy who did all the work took all measurments from the original tripple tree clamps.

19. Mshawnm109r

Mshawnm109r New Member

WOW thats awesome!! a cup full of impressed, cup of amazing, a table spoon of jealousy, mix with 2 gallons of inspired...........i love that bike!!!!

20. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

Hello guys, much time has passed and not much work done. I had to focus on my house refinishing and other small to-dos around the household.

Few days ago I resumed working on the bike. I pulled the engine out of the frame and removed the cylinder block + head for measurments. The main reason was to replace the leaking head gasket but I thought that it's a good opportunity to check all the insides and replace what needs replacing.
    What I did so far:
    Pistons measuring and checking for wear - all of them are within specs, and show minimal to no wear.
    Piston rings - so far checked only cylinder #1 - rings #1 and #2 thicknes is according to the manual, ring gap is.
    Ring thickness - both rings as specified in the manual
    Ring gap - according to the manual - standard gap is 0,15mm - o,3mm, max 0,7mm
    #1 ring - 0,35mm
    #2 ring -0,45mm

I have also notices two scratch like marks inside the cylinder #1. They are not deep, definitely not detectable by touch. It appears to be more like a discoloration. Today I'll check the piston - cylinder clearance.

Attached Files: