1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ900RL Spring loaded side stand mod

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Core, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Core

Core Active Member

Hi Guys,

Since getting my XJ900RL, I have laid it down 3 times! (that is in under a year!!)
    2 of the 3 times were caused by the f**king side stand!
    Both times the same problem occurs:
    I use my left foot to get the stand down and then just before the stand touches the ground I have moved my foot away and the thing flicks back and down we go!
    The second time took out my clutch lever and front left blinker (ouch)

I noticed that basically all modern motorcycle side stands once brought down will stay down allowing for the riders foot to be in a more stable location on the ground when finally resting the bike onto to the stand.
    But the XJ stand does not stay down because of its sprung loaded mechanism.

I found it particularly nerve wracking when I am on a slight slope (falling right to left) and have to put her on her stand. The bike leans over further than usual and my foot placement (having to be at the stand to hold it down) is way to close to the center of gravity of the bike, so I feel quite off balance as she touches down on the stand.

I became determined to mod this (while still shaking my head a the nut job that designed this stand)
    and make the side stand behave like modern bikes do.
    So this post is to show how I did it and how easy it was.

This is how the stand looked
    DSC_0737.JPG DSC_0738.JPG
    The head of the bolt that holds the stand in place has a rod protruding from it.
    It interrupts the complete movement of the kidney shaped plate connecting the springs to the frame.
    This plate holds the springs in such a way that when the weight of the bike is removed from the stand, it will spring back. If you want to take off quickly, this could be seen as an advantage. Just right the bike and the stand flicks up.
    But this presents problems when putting the bike on the stand as I mentioned above.

So if this annoys (and regularly scared me, and cost me a blinker and clutch lever the last time!) you like it did me, then the good news is the mod is very easy!

DSC_0741.JPG DSC_0740.JPG

the rod that protudes from the bolt head has to be removed.
    I used an angle grinder with a cutting disc. It took 30 sec and I did not even have to remove it from the bike!

Now it works exactly as side stands on most modern bikes.
    When you kick the stand down. It stays down.
    When you are ready to go, just nudge it back and it springs back into place.

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Hmm.. I was unaware that the XJ900 came that way.
    Fancy self-dropping kickstand just like Ducati!
    Based on photos of other XJ900's I think that may have not been done to the early bikes we got in the U.S.

3. Core

Core Active Member

I wonder as to the thinking behind this design.
    Its behaviour was most definitely deliberate.
    And you say that Ducati's have this "feature" too?
    They are also European, so could it be something common, or even mandated to European bikes?

This still begs the question: what is the advantage or intention with this design?

p.s. I have been doing a mandatory bike course to get my Swiss licence and 2 other bikes on the course had brand new bikes.
    Both bike's stands stayed down with out the need for the rider to hold them down with their foot.

4. k-moe

My recollection is that it eliminated the need to fit the mandated sidestand position safety interlock for the ignition. If you'll notice, your bike does not have a sidestand switch.

Core likes this.
  5. Core

Core Active Member

When I was investigating for this mod, I was still unaware of whether there was some kill switch attached to the side stand. I feared that if there was, that this could complicate the mod I planned.
    Right under there is what I assume to be the oil pressure or temp sensor and its wire. I initially mistook it for the stand kill switch until I took a closer look.

Makes sense. As always many thanks for your insight k-moe

6. k-moe

There two wires for the oil level sensor (Yamaha dosen't do pressure), and for the neutral switch. You probbly saw the neutral switch wire.

7. Big swede

Big swede Active Member

It looks exactly like my 750 seca, but i have the sidestand switch. Maybe i'll do this mod too as i also think it's annoying.

8. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

For those of you that have safety inspections (my state doesn't) - would the lack of safety switch, coupled with the kickstand mod, cause it to fail inspection?

9. Core

Core Active Member

Thats a question that I have lurking in the back of my mind.
    Eventually I will have to get my bike inspected. Luckily I bought a second bike as a base for a mod so I have a second original kickstand bolt. It is a simple matter of changing it over.

Another could be to simply weld on a short rod onto the moded bolt to the stand acts like it did stock. Just to get it past inspection. Chop it off again when inspection is passed.

k-moe likes this.