1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

You can clean your carbs or...

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by ecologito, Nov 26, 2014.

1. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

I know that there is a wealth of knowledge in this forum about our beloved XJ bikes. When it came down to cleaning carbs I got plenty of encouragement and was not afraid to take them apart.

It was a whole different story to have the certainty that I was cleaning everything that had to be cleaned so I had to call for reinforcements.

I sent a rack of carbs to Hogfiddles with the entire rebuilt kit from Len. I received my rack yesterday and now it will be a lot easier to understand the definition of clean.

I can probably eat off of this rack if I don't mind the mild carb cleaner odor. If anybody ever gets stuck chewing more than they can bite contact Hogfiddles and he will set the record straight for you.

Now I am confident that once I put my 650 seca project bike all together the carbs will not be the weak spot.

2. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

<waiting for Hogfiddles to reveal which jet he up-sized by one increment just to see how long it would be to tune>

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Excuse me?!?!?!?!?

4. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

I suppose if you know one another well enough, that would be hilarious. No insult intended...

5. Gulrok

Gulrok Member

Did I hear we have someone offering to rebuild our carbs?

6. Yv.Mathieu

Yv.Mathieu New Member

how much you paid for that carb rebuild kit ??

7. hogfiddles

Yv...... Start a private conversation with me and I can discuss it with you.

Dave F

8. Yv.Mathieu

Yv.Mathieu New Member

Check your messages then ;)

9. hogfiddles

The next few racks have been either sent pitot picked up by their owners--

SO....the bench is clear for the next 3 racks! If you want your carb rack rebuilt, now is the time to get it done before riding season is upon us.

Start a conversation with me.

Dave Fox, Host
    CNYCC#8
    June 13,2015

ecologito likes this.
  10. bclark

bclark New Member

I just got my carbs back and in the bike from Dave and i cant tell you how pleased i was. From start to finish, Dave does it right. He takes his time, is very thorough, and keeps you updated on every step of whats going on. He is a wealth of knowledge and an absolute asset to this forum. Its easy to see why so many people have trouble with the carbs on these bikes, and if you want to guarantee yourself that your carbs are perfect, then send them to Dave. I got the parts from Len, and everything went very smooth. I even had the chance to drive out and meet Dave, pick his brain on some troubles i was having with mine, checked out his collection and even did some laps on his snowmobile. If your thinking of getting carbs done or are stuck with yours, i wouldn't send them to anyone else. Thanks again Dave!

11. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

The carbs are actually very simple but you have to know what each part does and understand how everything works. If you do not feel like you are confident enough to do it yourself do yourself a favor send them to dave fox or someone that does and can clean them well for you. It is a pain to put them on and take them off especially with the air box boots. And if possible get yourself a bronze filter and put it in line stuff does get past the petcock should get caught in the screen on the needle and seats but i like the extra protection especially with the way ethanol eats rubber. I am a firm believer in non ethanol gas that is all i run in my stuff. I put a gal of it in my 750 nighthawk in sept with stabil after the cold winter starting it 1 time back in Dec i went out the other day turned on the key bumped it fired right up. My honda does not have prime on off and reserve and it is a vacuum petcock and it seals. the former owner used gas with ethanol in it it would evaporate after 3 weeks and you would have to crank it till the carbs would fill up

12. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Another satisfied customer with Dave's carb service. I doubt they were this clean new :) Very reasonable and I don't have to do them. Len's catalog says there is nobody that will clean your carbs as good as you will yourself. Dave has proved that wrong.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Itsnotme1988 likes this.
  13. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Well, Dave is kinda an extension of "yourself" when it comes to carbies.....

14. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

lol, i've actually yapped at him about mine. I think mine may just need a mild clean from sitting a while but if not, off they gooooo! :D

15. jayrodoh

IMHO, its worth it for even a mild cleaning. He checks EVERYTHING, plus they come back bench synced and fully checked out.

16. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

You know, if i worked part time or could set my own hours like i used to be able to, i'd definitely just play with them until i got them where i wanted. But now, working full time and few precious hours to tinker in the garage, it'd be a month of sundays before i could get them acceptable, i think, and i'd just rather ride the bike than mess with that at the moment.

Oh, life... :D

17. jayrodoh

Just installed my Hogfiddlefied carbs today and she fired right up, no leaks, and idled well. Did my wet set, popped them on, and was good to go. Thanks again Dave! Feels good to start her after almost 2 years.

ecologito and Jetfixer like this.
  18. Door dude

Door dude Active Member Premium Member

Dave, i have cleaned my carbs about 5 months ago my bike has been in the living room all winter. now its been riding season for me and ive noticed a little rust and oxidation what can i do to prevent this ?