1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Turn signal switch question w/ photo

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jim Saunders, May 23, 2015.

1. Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders New Member

Hi, I'm the proud latest owner of an 82 XJ650RJC and I have a question about the turn signal switch. I got enough from other threads on the subject to find the problem, but now how do I fix it?

In the photo there is the leaf contacts and the pins on the switch lever itself; I cleaned up the guts of the switch to the point that it actually moves side to side and inward to cancel, but here's what it does:

With the switch held to one side or the other the turn signals function, but once the switch is released they go off without having to push the switch in. When I hold those leaf contacts against the little pins there the turn signals latch on when I push the switch over and cancel when I push the switch in.

So, what to do?

Jim

Attached Files:

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

I believe the leaf just has to make a momentary contact to get the whole process started, the self-canceller unit takes over from there......if I recall correctly.

3. Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders New Member

That makes sense given the way everything in there is shaped, but if the whole works only operates properly when the leaves are held in contact does that suggest the canceller has failed?

Jim

4. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

The self cancel is motion activated.

Gary H.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

it sounds like the relay is not latching
    the leafs power up the coil in the relay circuit to close the contacts .
    do you have a flasher relay and canceler unit? if so
    unplug the canceler see if the directional stays on.

in photo it looks like the right leaf is making contact with the post while switch is in center position. it should not be making contact until switch is pushed to the right.
    you may need to tweek that leaf

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  6. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

You said your bike is an rjc what is the frame prefix ( first 3 digits of serial number)and does your bike have mechanical tach. It looks like the early series we got in Canada fall of 81 . I had a new one back then and looks to be non YICS engine

7. Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders New Member

573, and yes it does. I have a lot to learn about it of course; it was available locally at a price I liked, the style is good and reviews were promising so I went for it.

I appreciate all the input, I'll have a look at the flasher relay and try unplugging the canceller too.

Jim

8. XJ550H

did you lube up the slide with dielectric grease to help is move?
    switch operation
    the switch should work like this
    push switch to right release the switch should go back to center by itself. is this how your switch is operating?
    when you push the switch in it centers the little slide cutting power to directionals.

when moved left or right supplies voltage to flashers through a contact mounted on it through
    the little phenolic (brown) panel. has 3 wires on it this is where the slide contact makes the connection.
    Does the slide stay to left or right when switch centers it self?
    It could be that one of the three wires is loose and needs to be resoldered, my guess is it is the center wire on the panel.

9. Toomanybikes

Is it 573 or 5v3 the later 15u series is the 650rjc and that is not the parts lists you see on-line it is for the earlier non YICS engine

10. Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders New Member

5V3, my bad.

11. Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders New Member

The switch was pretty gummed up, but now it works mechanically like you describe, but the turn signals only stay on either while I hold the switch to one side or the other, or hold one of the leaf contacts against the pins on the lever.

Jim

12. XJ550H

it could be the self canceler which is the easiest thing to check just remove it.
    How deep into your switch did you go?
    if you remove the switch lever you will see the 3 wires on the panel look at them to see if they are solidly attached to the panel.
    if you have to solder them it takes a fine point solder iron and a little skill.

13. Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders New Member

I had it right apart; all of those three wires are still solidly attached. If unplugging the canceller fixes the immediate problem I'll likely leave it that way; the lights just need to work so I don't have to try and hold the switch and the clutch at the same time.

Jim

14. XJ550H

i do not think the canceler is needed for inspection. they can be had cheaply on ebay and is a nice feature
    there is a link some where here for testing relays.
    http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/how-to-test-a-relay.6809/

15. Toomanybikes

Still early for us westerners
    MORE coffee

16. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Correct as usual

That would be my vote on the next step. The cancelling assembly Y/G wire when at 12V will disable the flasher relay, and when at an open state will enable the flasher relay. The momentary switches in the left control should reset the cancelling assembly when closed, and then the flashers should continue to flash until a predetermined number of pulses are received from the reed switch in the speedometer, which then returns the Y/G wire to 12V disabling the flasher relay.

17. XJ550H

[​IMG]
    this is the relay in the test relay thread.
    when the relay is activated and the contacts close 3 & 4 the diode from 4 to 1 latches the coil (supplies voltge) to keep coil energized. this all can be tested without dissambling relay with a multimeter with diode test function

in the case of drectionls the leaf supplies voltage by closing the curcuit to pin 1, then the contacts take over through the diode when leaf is disengaged by releasing lever

18. Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders New Member

Thank you again for all the input. It smells to me like the line across the relay to keep it latched has failed open, but that remains to be seen.

Jim

19. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

That's a headlight relay. The flasher relay is different in that there are two coils, one set of contacts, a capacitor, and a resistor inside the case.

Actually the leafs or momentary switches in the left control provide a ground to the Y/R wire that goes to the cancelling assembly. This should reset the cancelling assembly and subsequently enable the flasher relay.

20. Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders New Member

So I unplugged the canceller (I assume from the wires going into it, box about an inch square, two inches long, hung under the tank towards the back of it) and the turn signals now work in entirely manual mode. I don't see it from the diagram but does leaving it unplugged affect anything else? I'm happy without it and I'd rather be riding that wrenching on a nice sunny day like today.

Jim