1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ900 Cam chain adjuster(s)?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dossbag, Jun 5, 2015.

1. dossbag

dossbag Member

Hi again.. gonna be a few questions of this nature I'm afraid :)

As I put this jigsaw together again, I'm having a head scratching moment!. My manual is very vague about the cam adjuster. It says it's automatic, and yes, I see that and understand how it works. Then I see this bolt (that only fits with the top end off) and it is called a "cam chain adjuster" so... hang on?

As far as I can tell, it holds the tensioner guide in place.. but the book shows a crummy diagram and not much information on it.

I guess I'm asking for clarification on how it works in conjunction with everything else, or even some words of wisdom on how to fit the slider and this bolt would be handy.

As I didn't take this apart, I'm finding the manual is lacking in many places, so I apologize if this seems obvious to everyone lol I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. :D

Cheers, Jeff

2. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Hi Jeff,
    The auto cam chain adjuster has a ratchet type of rod that pushes on the rear guide.
    The bolt you see retains the spring that pushes on the rod to keep tension on the guide.

if you remove the bolt the tension on the rod is removed but the rod is locked to that position until you pull the tensioner out all together and manually reset the rod.

some pics i took a while back

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

To reset it, you need to pull it off, push the piston back in, reinstall, loosen the main bolt again so the piston can push forward ( has a strong spring inside), then re tighten that bolt.

Is it possible that yours may have been swapped out for a manual-adjust one?

4. dossbag

dossbag Member

Thanks for your reply's.. This is what I know as the adjuster.. no issue with this piece, it all makes sense..
    But you see the bolt underneath it? (3rd pic down) This is what's confusing me. It's called an adjuster in the manual. But as far as I can tell, all it does is hold the guide in place, BUT it is adjustable. So what does it do? Just holds in the guide as I can see...

OK.. here ya go..
    [​IMG]

That bolt.. bottom right. The book calls it an adjuster.. lol

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  5. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

It applies pressure on the guide to hold it in the case recess.

Gary H.

Key Note: The gasket must be tight seal. Make certain the surfaces are completely clean and the bolts are torqued to spec. Might even want to add a smear of blue loctite to them. Looks like '84 or his PO used Indian Head on the gasket.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  6. dossbag

dossbag Member

OK, thanks.. so would you say that calling it an adjuster would be inaccurate? I'm just trying to fine my insanity level is all :)

7. rocs82650

I'd call it a adjustable cam chain rear guide bolt.

Gary H.

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It is an adjuster of sorts, but called a retaining bolt. While it holds the rear guide in place, it also places just enough tension on the guide pivot so that it can move freely enough to react to the cam chain tensioner without popping out of place. The procedure is to screw the retaining bolt in until it seats against the bottom of the chain guide, back the bolt off by 1/4 turn, and then tighten the locknut. You will need two wrenches; one to hold the tensioner, and one to tighten the locknut.

9. rocs82650

+1 ^. Don't over torque the locking nut.

Gary H.

10. dossbag

dossbag Member

Thanks guys, great info. I wish the manual was as informative. All I get is "Fit the adjuster bolt" :confused:

11. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

I had the exact same question on the day... I was hoping it would adjust the primary drive chain mind you... DAMN!

12. k-moe

I took that info directly from the Haynes (it is also in the FSM).

13. k-moe

The Primary chain has a hydraulic adjuster on the 500, and no adjustment (just a guide) on the shaft driven models. If you are having primary chain noise please start a thread so we can work out what needs to ne done (if anything).

14. dossbag

dossbag Member

Primary is pretty beefy.. I didn't see any way to adjust on the 900... hopefully it wont need it. It felt pretty good.

15. k-moe

There isn't any way to adjust it. There is a guide that fails due to age. I hope that you replaced it while the engine was apart.

16. dossbag

dossbag Member

Ha.. Nope.. It will have to do for now. I don't write off a full rebuild at some point.

Bah.. Just discovered I'm missing two cylinder head washers! :mad:

17. k-moe

I hope that it doesn't come apart on you any time soon. They fail due to age, not mileage. We've been seeing more bikes with primary chain guide failures in the past year.

Chacal has the washers you need, including the two special copper crush washers (a Yamaha dealer can get them too, but it takes them two weeks to get the order in, where Len has them in stock).

18. dossbag

dossbag Member

lol Yeah, me too! I do appreciate the advice, knowledge on this site is invaluable. Thanks.
    I did already order the washers.. copper included... Knew I should have asked here first.

k-moe likes this.
  19. Xjf

Xjf New Member

Hi re chain guide , my xj 900 f , is 25 now , with 58 tho mls on it , you said failing now with age , how old is old lol thanks .

20. k-moe

They seem to begin failing after 30 years or so, but some have failed earlier. Just keep an eye on your oil and if you ever have any persistant shifting problems you should pull the shifter cover and inspect for hunks of plastic. There is a large passage behind the shift drum that leads to the transmission. Look through that.