1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Re-chroming plastic bits

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Bluegray57, May 14, 2018.

1. Bluegray57

Bluegray57 Active Member

Anyone ever attempt this? The "MAXIM" logos on the side covers are a bit worn even though the rest of the bike is close to pristine. Being a bit OCD, I'd like to bring them back to new.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. SecaMaverick

SecaMaverick Active Member

Did you try a search of this forum? I seem to remember a write-up quite a few years back that involved gold spray paint for the inner parts and brushed-on flat black paint for the trim.
    I tried it, but because of my unsteady hand with a fine brush (and my perfectionistic tendencies), I opted to buy new from Len at XJ4Ever. As the great philosopher Clint Eastwood (as Harry Callahan) once said, a man's got to know his limitations!
    I don't remember anyone specifically trying re-chroming, or if it can be done.

Franz likes this.
  3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Bare metal foil , can be purchase in Chrome, Silver, Gold, Black Chrome , is self adhesive . But to size peel off backing and press onto item and burnish into place , use an xacto knife to trim any excess off . Redo the Gold Yamaha emblems on my spare tank turned out real good . You can buy this at most Hobby shops and Hobby lobby carries it as well.

Bluegray57 likes this.
  4. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Does it hold up to weather, or do you need to seal it with something?

5. cruiserlover

cruiserlover Active Member

flat black and be done with it.

wgul likes this.
  6. Bluegray57

Bluegray57 Active Member

That is similar to what I was thinking. I did find a gold chrome tape that has an adhesive backing that's supposed to be suitable for outdoor use. I'll look at the product you recommend as well.

7. Bluegray57

Bluegray57 Active Member

I'd just remove them if that was my only option. :)

8. cruiserlover

cruiserlover Active Member

this sounds unlikely, but sign companies could make new ones, probably out of metal.they would cost a lot but last forever.

Bluegray57 likes this.
  9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

10. XJ550H

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  11. XJ550H

12. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

13. SecaMaverick

Just ignore me if you're dead-set against buying new, and you have more time to restore the tiny bits than I do ... I don't know how much money you're trying to save by having them re-gold-chromed at a shop or doing it well yourself -- which is an honorable trait, by the way -- but Len at XJ4Ever (linked at the top right of this page) has the Maxim 650 side cover emblems for $54.95 each (he can give you a current quote, and verify that they're still available). You'd have them on your doorstep in less than a week.

Here's the description from his parts list page for emblems:
    "HCP24478 Aftermarket SIDE PANEL EMBLEM "Maxim 650", stacked style with the “MAXIM” name above the numbers, this reproduction cast metal emblem has the black background with polished gold raised lettering. This emblem will fit either the left or right side. For all XJ650 Maxim models. Unlike other reproduction emblems, these use the original double-sided tape for mounting (so you don’t need to drill holes into your side cover!). Each: $ 54.95"

14. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The HCP24478 emblems are correct for 1982-84 models only, as they are the "stacked" style emblem (numbers over letters).......the 1980-81 models used a single-level "MAXIM-I" (1980) or "MAXIM" (1981) which is not currently available. The "650" engine size was on the airbox end covers on the 1980-81 models.

SecaMaverick and Bluegray57 like this.
  15. Bluegray57

Bluegray57 Active Member

Did a dry run last night. I made a few cutting mistakes but I can remove the adhesive covering and redo it. Need a little more practice cutting I guess. Took a little over an hour. The photo shows the imperfections, but the over all look is what I was going for. I placed a length of tape across the entire logo and then made the cuts. It might work better if I use smaller pieces over each letter and then do the trimming. I used a #11 scalpel. After I get it to where I like it, I was thinking about spraying with clear coat of some sort for sun/weather protection

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    fastenova likes this.
  16. Bluegray57

Bluegray57 Active Member

As mentioned, I have the 1981 xj650. The "MAXIM" logo is on the side covers separate from the "650" logo. I'm semi retired and work 3 days of week as of now. Kids are grown and gone so I do have the time for the project.

SecaMaverick likes this.
  17. SecaMaverick

Looks like you did nice work, Bluegray, in spite of it being a "dry run." I'm glad Chacal corrected me that the emblem you need is unavailable. Sorry to promote misinformation (though with good intentions). I'll definitely keep the process you're trying in mind if the emblems for my Seca become unobtainium.

Bluegray57 likes this.
  18. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i thought 3D printers were going to save the world :(