1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

For Sale Caltric XJ750 Brake Pads

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by 2nerkid, Aug 10, 2018.

1. 2nerkid

2nerkid New Member

If there are any 750 owners in the Southeast Michigan area (or even northern Ohio), I've got these brand new pads if you want them. Bought them from Amazon for $7.50 only to find out the previous owner of my bike equipped it with an XJ550 caliper, so these don't fit.

For whatever reason (probably because this is my first post on the forum) it won't let me upload a photo of the pads. They're the same pads you'd find if you searched Amazon for "Caltric XJ750 brake pads." Maybe I'll be able to post an image in a reply.

2. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

That’s correct. U need 5 posts before pics are allowed as an anti spam measure.

Welcome aboard.

Upper right hand corner is the xj4ever icon. Hit that button to take you to any and all parts you may need and tons of information

More ppl will be along shortly to guide you

Let’s get ya your 5 posts and then u can upload some pics so we can all see your bike!

3. 2nerkid

2nerkid New Member

Thanks for having me! I promise you don't wanna see my bike though lol, it is a rolling scrapheap. I bought it in '15 during my last month of college, it was the cheapest running bike I could find in the week after I finished the MSF course. It's by no means pretty, but it runs fine and did the job of teaching me how to ride. Now I'm fixing some of its bigger issues so I can sell it to make more room in my garage.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Interesting. As I understand it the 550 and the 750 use the same pads.

5. 2nerkid

2nerkid New Member

I would have thought the same but a search of "XJ550 brake pads" returns results that are both a) a different shape than the 750's and b) the same shape as what I've got. The 750 pads simply don't fit in my caliper, they're too wide.

6. k-moe

I think I see the issue. You must have an XJ750 Maxim, which does have pads that are different from the ones for the 550 (both sub-models) and 750 Seca.

If you still need the correct pads, member Chacal has them in stock.

You can post photos and links after your 5th post.

7. 2nerkid

2nerkid New Member

Ahhhhhhh hahahaha, I know what's going on now. I'll explain visually in my next post. To be as cryptic as possible, you're correct but you're also kinda not lol.

Ordered some 550/Maxim pads from Amazon yesterday, so I'm set.

8. k-moe

Now I am curious.

9. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Ditto that k moe

10. 2nerkid

2nerkid New Member

Sorry for the delay, folks. Was working and then riding all day yesterday. Now, without further ado...

11. 2nerkid

2nerkid New Member

This...

[​IMG]

... is my bike.

[​IMG]

Yes, that's right. A disheveled 550 Maxim front end grafted onto a very ratty 750 Seca body.

[​IMG]

I bought it in May of 2015 for well under a thousand bucks. The seller had created for himself a hybrid Seca/Maxim - the bike I have is the result of his leftover parts. He sold it to me with a cracked crankcase that leaked so badly I had to refill oil three or four times on the 30 mile ride home. The tires were balder than Mr. Clean and squarer than Spongebob, the rear suspension was devoid of springs, the battery was so weak it sputtered and coughed for several seconds every time I started the bike. The taillight threatened to fall out at any second, the friction plates were well worn, the oil filter bolt was so stripped the bolt head was a circle. I've since fixed every single one of those problems, but as you can see it still has a whole host of other issues, most of which thankfully are much more minor than what I've listed.

It did its job - it taught me how to ride, how to steer, how to pick up a dropped bike, even how (not) to crash. Now I'm fixing the last couple big problems and then off it'll go to the next SOB to teach more lessons. Or maybe it'll become someone's project bike. Or a donor. Who knows? Who cares? Not me.

k-moe likes this.
  12. k-moe

Remember that you'll likely have to file the hole on the pads for the pad retaining pin, or they won't fit either. The hole is a tad too low on the pad backing plate.

13. 2nerkid

2nerkid New Member

Thanks! Will keep in mind.

14. Richard Elbon

Richard Elbon Active Member

Holy moly. Whatever the previous owner could neglect he did. You’re on your way Sam.