1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by dkavanagh, Sep 10, 2018.

1. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

So, I'm going to do this thing again this year. We're raising money for a cause we can all get behind, men's health issues including Prostate Cancer (of which my dad and uncle are survivors).

Consider joining a local ride and raising money, or failing that, how about helping me raise money?

https://www.gentlemansride.com/rider/DavidKavanagh140187

Thanks,
    David

Stumplifter likes this.
  2. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

I am attending the Ocala, Fl this year. First time for this city I believe. Past years I have done the Tampa and Orlando rides a couple of times each. Keeping my fingers crossed the weather will cooperate. I'm glad they pushed back a a couple of weeks this year. Still too hot this time of year. Even I if it is a 2 or 3 degrees cooler, I'll take it.

Stumplifter likes this.
  3. dkavanagh

Last year, it was freakin hot here. Hoping for sweater and jacket weather! Thanks climate change!

4. dkavanagh

Here are a few photos. Turned out to be a cool, overcast day, but dry. Quite a nice variety of bikes and lots of them!
    IMG_20180930_113458391.jpg IMG_20180930_113453824.jpg IMG_20180930_112958463_TOP.jpg IMG_20180930_112842523.jpg IMG_20180930_142021016.jpg IMG_20180930_114513413.jpg

5. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Here is a few photos from my ride in Ocala. I took the Kawi instead. The XJ is still safe. Had a bit of a mishap. Be careful when going on rides with a group of people you don't know and don't already trust. I was riding in staggered formation when the group ahead stopped abruptly and the guy in front of me to my left braked hard and early. No problem for me since I was to his left. The guy that was behind me to my right as well wasn't paying and hit the guy in front of me (since I was in a staggered formation on the left side) . Unfortunately, he ended up side swiping me as well after hitting the guy in front of me and took me down as well. I am okay, I have minor scrape and , and so is the guy that took the initial hit. Unfortunately, the guy that hit us ended up with a broken collar bone, 3 broken ribs and a gash on the ridge of his nose. I pray he has a speedy recovery.

DGR3.jpg DGR1.jpg DGR2.jpg

Question of the day: Can anyone identify the year and model of his BMW. The owner told me all about it. Close answers will be accepted.

DGR4.jpg

Stumplifter likes this.
  6. dkavanagh

Wow, I hadn't thought about that, but very good point about riding w/ people you know/trust.

7. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

No idea on the bike but the motor looks like an old Volkswagen motor? That front pulley and distributor are a giveaway.

Stumplifter and dkavanagh like this.
  8. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Yup! Has a VW Mini Bus engine installed. Bored out from 1500 to a 1700. Tells me it only gained 50 lbs. The bike itself is a 61 BMW with a Harley rear end. The owner tells me that some guy in California in the early 60's first did this conversion and it became very popular mod among the BMW crowd in the 60's and 70's. When I first saw it I wasn't paying close attention to it and figured it was some BMW model I had never seen.

9. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Doesn't look like a BMW at all other than the roundel on the tank. Weird motor, lash up disc brake. Ghastly chopper seat. A mess. Edit: I wonder if it started out as one of those Russian BM copies? Urals?
    Cheers, 50gary

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  10. dkavanagh

11. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Best wishes on your ride DKavanagh! Wish I could do it this year, but both bikes are down and I'm too busy to worry about them for now. It makes sense to do it in may for the greater part of the riding world. But May is the hottest month of the year here in Florida. Comes after the cool months and before the rainy season. Can easily hit over a hundred (temp) and is mostly dry this time of year. Enjoy the day Good Sir!

dkavanagh likes this.
  12. tj.

tj. Active Member

13. dkavanagh

I don't have a vest, but I've worn a shirt/jacket/dress pants in the past. Growing the facial hair out to see what I can do in time for the events.