1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1985 xj700n 1st and 2nd fix

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tuckgray907, Mar 18, 2019.

1. tuckgray907

tuckgray907 New Member

Hello. I bought an xj700 a while back and when I got it first gear popped into neutral but it was drivable but recently 2nd gear went out and so I got a new gearset off of eBay. I saw the xs11 1st and 2nd fix forum post and followed that but given that they are different bikes I'm having some trouble. the clutches are different. if anyone has any advice or documentation for how to do the job it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

your going to need a shop book for your bike to split the cases, then i think you'll find that your gears are in very similar shape as those SX1100 gears. you can grind yours like they did or swap in new gears. it could be bent shift forks but you still get to split the cases

3. tuckgray907

tuckgray907 New Member

in the post that I read it shows you how to get the gear stack out by taking off just the oil pan, clutch, and shifter covers.
    I can't link it but if you google this its the first thing that pops up
    1st and 2nd gear Dremmel Fix Part 1, 2, and 3

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i'm almost certain that's not going to work on 700 XJ motor. i know for sure it doesn't on a 650/750

5. tuckgray907

tuckgray907 New Member

okay, thanks for the advice. I think I might just buy a bottom end.

6. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

If you decide to sell your old case let me know, I may rebuild it and sell it.

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

did you check the shifter parts under the left side cover?

k-moe likes this.
  8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

+1
    Although the second-gear dog wear can occur on the smaller bikes, it's more common that something is wrong with the shift pawl or springs.
    There's also the possability of a broken alternator chain guide bouncing around and not letting the gears slide fully into position.

chacal likes this.
  9. tuckgray907

tuckgray907 New Member

so MY bike has been having some issues. here are the symptoms

10. tuckgray907

tuckgray907 New Member

it wouldn't let me post the actual text for some reason so see the picture

Attached Files:

11. tuckgray907

tuckgray907 New Member

any help is appreciated. Thank you

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Are you using a computer or a phone to copy and paste that? It seems you have more than one issue going on. As for the carbs leaking, have to take them to "church". If you have had the engine out of the bike and have gone through the gears you should be able to tackle the carbs.

Try to re-post that pic as it is really hard to read as a pic. If you saved it try to highlight all the written portion and than paste it to your post.

13. tuckgray907

tuckgray907 New Member

I'm using my computer. I haven't torn into the gears yet and I fixed the carbs leaking( it was just the fuel intake o rings). I plan on cleaning the shit out of them once I get some money for parts. I fixed a few of the issues by tightening my engine ground (duh) but it still cuts out at about 70 or if I redline it and I'm sure I need a new battery too.

14. tuckgray907

tuckgray907 New Member

So here's the scenario. I took the engine out of my 1985 xj700n with 30,000+ on it thinking that I could fix first gear slipping into neutral by only taking off the oil pan.when I took the engine out I changed the engine oil and filter and the rear "diff" fluid and just put Walmart 85-90 in it. second gear went out a few weeks prior to this. except the second gear is different. it feels like it is skipping teeth but doesn't fall out of gear. if I ride in second (on accident ) sometimes the shifter will get hard and I can't shift until I release the clutch and load the drivetrain. so I got a gear stack on eBay for my bike. I got the idea from the Tranny Fix 1st and 2nd Gears Dremel Technique forum post on the xj11 forum

so once I had the clutch and shifter covers off I noticed that it was for a different bike and decided to just do it the right way and take the engine apart. I don't quite have the money for gaskets etc. yet so I put the bike back together. Right after I got it all back together I started it and the carbs leaked extra bad (they leaked prior to me removing the engine from the fuel intake port from the tank) and it rev hung really bad to the point where it would rev up to 4.5k right after starting it. I couldn't diagnose the idle issue with it leaking as bad as it was so today I took the carbs off and actually split them up (I rebuilt them 3-5 months ago without separating the carbs from each other with a cheap kit ) and cleaned them and replaced the o-rings on all the tubes that go between the carbs. I checked that the slides moved freely too and they did. I also made sure the choke slides and throttle had a full range of motion. so I put the bike back together. no more leaks and it ran well. no rev hang or anything. rode it around the block and it was fine. then I rode it home ( about 30 miles from the shop back to my house) and halfway home on the freeway doing about 70, it felt like I ran out of gas so I switched the petcock to reserve but it didn't help and I knew I had gas. the rest of the way home it was really down on power and it sounded like it was choked. It also popped consistently out of the left header under decel(2 into 1). so I rode it home but before I got off the freeway I noticed an intermittent vibration only when I was on the throttle. coasting it was gone and if I pull the clutch in it was perfectly smooth. the bike ran decently for its age before I took it apart but I never took any of the engines apart besides the side covers. I checked the spark plugs and they all looked ok except for the far left cyl when sitting on the bike ( cylinder 1?). It was wetter than the other cylinders. I looked in the cylinder with a flashlight and it looked wet too. the pistons looked about right for an engine with this many miles. I haven't checked the valve clearance yet but I will when I tear the engine apart. I am a bit worried to ride it at all because I don't want to hurt it anymore.

15. tuckgray907

tuckgray907 New Member

cool. that was everything in the picture