1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ550 difficulty on first start up

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Hamie, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Hamie

Hamie New Member

Lately my xj550 has been difficult to start when it is the first start of the day. Just recently this issue has started. It doesnt seem to matter if I am full choke, half choke or no choke. It just wants to crank and crank. Usually I just spray some gas down a cylinder and that'll be enough to get it fired up. Once it fires once it is easy to start for the rest of the day. The bike does have pod filters but they've been on for over a year and has never seemed to cause an issue. I havent made any modifications around the time this issue started.

Thanks in advance.

2. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

1) Enrichement/Choke circuits blocked/not working
    2) Low battery voltage
    3) Valve clearances out of spec

(not necessarily in that order)

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

550 carbs will let fuel evaporate quickly out of the bowls in warmer weather.

set petcock to prime for about 5 seconds.

as a100man said you will also want to check out
    1) Enrichement/Choke circuits blocked/not working
    2) Low battery voltage
    3) Valve clearances out of spec

put a meter on your battery you want to see 12.8 volts when bike has set over night. then press starter button voltage drop test should show over 10 volts.
    battery may be getting old check fluid level if it is an acid lead battery . if low add distilled water to proper levels. a battery tender would be a good idea to keep voltage up where it belongs (remove before starting) . the 550 is very fussy about its battery voltage.
    also ttest voltage output at idle 2k rpm and 3 k rpm let us know the numbers.

you have pods so it will be easy to check enrichment circuit and bowl wells for blockage. pull your carbs . clean the enrichment circuit, the long brass tube and the wells in the bowls.
    this link is for X carbs but will give you insite on the bowls and enrichment circuit
    Cleaning your Mikuni carbs

with your bowls soaking
    check the valves
    Bigfitz's AIRHEAD VALVE ADJUSTMENT with Pics - parts I & II

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    cgutz likes this.
  4. Hamie

Hamie New Member

Thanks for the reply. Ill check those all out. Think the battery could be the issue as it has been going flat recently.

XJ550H likes this.
  5. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Yeah, it can be strong enough to turn over reasonably briskly yet not enough to deliver a decent spark at the same time. If you 'jump' it with another battery it will help to diagnose..

Franz and XJ550H like this.
  6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

550 starters spin great with a low battery it is deceptive