1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Riding up to Albany next weekend. Could use tips on what to see and motorcycle stuff.

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by scoobydew, Sep 15, 2020.

1. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

Never been upstate. I'm just a city boy. I usually travel outside the country but cause of covid I figured why not explore New York a bit. Anyone up by Albany got any route tips or down to meet up? I'm a sucker for New York diner food. I'll prob be there for two days, soaking in the mountains and stuff. NYC is crazy nowadays man. I gotta get some fresh air.

I ride a DRZ400S as my main bike and am working on rebuilding my 1982 XJ750 Seca. I have some issues with it though if anyone could help me out. I don't know where to find any machinists that would work on a bike like removing stripped screws or bolts. Most them turn me away cause they work on large projects for aerospace and what not. I have a stripped off allen bolt holding my damper rod into the front fork. If anyone has some experience with drilling it out I could haul it up there. Hell, I'd even pay you.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

If you get a Cobalt drill and put it on a slow drill speed (with some cutting oil) you can drill the head off of the damper bolt. Then once it is off use mole grips to unscrew the remaining section when you pull the damper rod out of the fork slider. Screw the forkleg down onto a bench if you can through the brake caliper mounting holes. Just take your time and the head will come off the bolt.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

looks like your going into @Hoggfiddles neck of the woods

4. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

I don't trust myself to drill into the allen screw and risk hitting the fork. I have no problem replacing a sump but a used fork from ebay hmmm... This weekend I'll ride around seeing if someone can take it out for me. I tried JB Weld but it snapped like plastic when I hit it with a manual impact. I put on more and will let it sit until Saturday.

Actually, this bike had a thread of its own on here. The previous owner told me to hop on this site for some help. He said this bike IS Hogfiddles old XJ750. I think he said his name on this site was Nuce? Nunce? I don't remember.

5. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

I think it may be Nuch. And Hogfiddles is about 2 hours east from there

6. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    If you are going to be in the neighborhood of Deposit/Hancock , NY check out White Birch Airport. Every Sunday morning they have a different charitable outfit come in and put on a pancake breakfast from 7 am until noon. Last time I was over there it was $7 for a great breakfast, great views outside over the Catskills. Great riding around the Cannonsville and Pepacton Reservoirs, or any of the other reservoirs between NYC and Upstate. And the Zane Grey Museum off Route 97..... Lots to do and see.
    John