1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Spoke Rim conversion for Radian

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by HadesActual, Feb 16, 2021.

1. HadesActual

HadesActual New Member

Hi Everyone, I'm new the forum, I own a 89 Radian. I have been looking to do a Spoke Rim conversion on my bike. I have so far figured out how to do it on a 550 Maxim with Virago 250 wheels which would change it from 16in front and back to 18in the front and 15 in the rear. Was wondering if anyone knew if the front end and swing arm from a 550 maxim are enough the same to make this swap. the clearance of the front tire on the radian might also be an issue as the shorter forks.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. Or if anyone has done this before and could help it would be great.

Thank you again!

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The Radian was built with the Maxim frame.

Handling will be degraded with that swap, and you'll need to change at least one sprocket for gearing.

3. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I've always liked the looks of the Radian especially the gas tank, pretty sporty looking. It sounds like you're trying to get the Cruiser look? Is that why the 15" rear? I checked some Virago 250 tire/wheels sizes and the front was listed as 17" and rear 15". The rear brake on the Virago is drum and the Radian listed as Disc?
    Cheers, 50gary

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  4. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

With spoked wheels you can fit any size (more or less) rim you want, building spoke wheels can get costly though say $200 per rim/spoke set..

k-moe likes this.
  5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I had a 21” laced to my BSA, previously 19”.
    This was about $400, the actual labour was only 1 hour at $70.

k-moe likes this.
  6. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

400 Canadian? Take off the building fee (a very reasonable 70) and covert to USD and you get $265 for teh hardware - so I wasn't too far off.

7. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Yes you were close, I think the parts likely were sourced in UK by my vendor. At 1 hour labour I would never contemplate the frustration of attempting this myself.