1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Alternative headlight relay 1981 XJ 650 maxim H

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Go-Rider, Jun 4, 2022.

1. Go-Rider

Go-Rider New Member

Just wanted to share that I found a way to use modern replacement 4 terminal 'normally open' (N.O) relay to replace the original headlight relay.

I got mine at my local NAPA but also found on Amazon.

The Napa part is 12V 40 amp 4 term relay: this relay is normally open. It has numbers next to each terminal. The red wire (12v power wire) from the relay harness on the motorcycle needs connected to the "30" terminal, the black wire (ground) is connected to the "85" terminal. The white wire (connects to starter switch) acts as the positive trigger and connects to the "86" terminal. The blue wire (connects to the headlamp) is connected to the "87" terminal.

I belive you can order or aquire in store the same or similar relay. Just make sure that it is 12v, 4 terminal (pin connectors) and is "normally open".

I did have to cut my wires to remove the original connector end and also crimp on new female end of blade connecters to be able to connect to relay pins

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Good to know.
    Is it a latching relay like the original?

There is a non-latching relay available from @chacal that plugs right in to the OEM harness.

chacal likes this.
  3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

You can make it latching pretty easily with a diode between pin 86 and 87. Without it the headlight would simply shut off if the engine stalled, probably not a real big issue but helps visibility in road should your bike stall. I believe reason for latching in first place?

4. k-moe

That’s correct. It’s a USDOT requirement on motorcycles, and in many states you can be ticketed if the headlight is off while parked at the roadside after dark.

5. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Headlight or tailight? I know the taillight stays on in the “park” position but leaving the headlight on while parked would be tricky.

6. k-moe

Engine dies or is shut off by the usual means, and the latching relay keeps the headlight on along with the taillight. I'm not talking about parking in a disegnated parking spot, but having to pull of to the shoulder for some emergency.