1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Who hasn't put their bike to bed yet?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by mikeg, Oct 27, 2008.

1. maxim82

maxim82 Member

Yeah pretty much ditto here.
    Y'all think going out and starting her up for a few minutes once a week, on the weeks I don't ride, is sufficient to keep her happy and ready?

2. kd5uzz

kd5uzz Member

Still riding mine. At least I'm trying to. She wouldn't start this morning. Had to have the wife give me a ride to work. When I got home she started right up. I guess it was just too cold. I wonder if I've got cracks on my carb boots that are getting worse in the cold. Can someone tell me if I have the procedure correct for checking for boot leaks with propane correct: With the bike running I blow propane around the boot. If there is a leak the engine will rev up? So, everything else the same a bike with leaks at the intake boots will idle rough whereas the same bike w/o the leaks will idle higher/better?

3. jag3

jag3 Member

I live outside of Philly and ride 45 miles to work and so far its been as cold as 32 for the morning commute. I have some cold weather gear and would like to extend the season but I dont have a windshield for it although I'm considering getting one if I can find one. If I do find one I'm good into the 20's,also I need to find a solution to keeping my hands warm. Any suggestions on fairings or gloves?

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes, but there are other factors. Badly worn throttle shaft seals can disguise themselves as a leaky boot. Those stupid rubber plugs that block off the vacuum ports can dry out and crack, too. Blowing propane at it won't detect throttle shaft seal issues unless they're real bad. Plus these things are a bit cranky in the cold, my 550 is in a good state of tune and it wants to be difficult on cold mornings too. Also, the petcock can be "lazier" on cold mornings, try it on "PRI."

5. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

The 750 starts right up in the cold... 2/3 choke, warm up for a minute, and it's good to go. I noticed that fuel mileage dropped a bit. But... it runs great when it's 35F outside!

Gas hit $2.09/gallon this morning, so dusting off the cage sounds pretty tempting... But I'll resist the temptation as long as I can, or until the weather goes nuts.

:mrgreen:

6. Galamb

Galamb Member

It's calling snow for tomorow, but I think we will have a few more warm days before the real snow flys. Besides, I want to put another 400 Km on her, so to start the new year off with the 36,000 even. :)

7. kd5uzz

kd5uzz Member

The PO spent the better part of a summer a few years back completely rebuilding the carbs. The only rubber he didn't replace was the diaphragms. My petcock is bad, I'm always on PRI. I'm going to hope its something some liquid electrical tape or black RTV can fix.

8. jdpesz

jdpesz Member

Ice, snow, or heavy rain will dampen my enthusiasm for riding. Cold mornings don't stop me, as long as the roads are dry. I just gear up and go.
    Weather was not an issue today, however. Sunshine and 60 degrees! :D I was off work today due to the Boeing strike, (I work for a supplier) so I went on a ride with my friend from church (a striking machinist) on his K1200GT. Today's trek rivaled some of the nicest summer rides I've done! Tomorrow's forecast is similar to today, so I will likely ride to work.
    I tried "winterizing" the bike the first year I had it. After a while I decided it wasn't worth it, because I kept finding opportunities to get out and ride a little here and there. The battery is only a year old, and she usually starts on the first crank with full choke. If not, a quick prime does the trick. So she sits in the garage waiting patiently, but usually not for long. :D

9. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

I live close to jdpesz (Vancouver, WA) I too ride all year. My commute is about 6 miles so unless it is snowing, or there is ice or snow on the streets I ride. Rain! Who cares. I have a one piece rain suit that keeps me abundantly dry. The temps here are usually quite moderate. A cold day is in the 40's. However, when the east winds blow from the east side of the state the temps can dip into the high teens but usuallythe 20's or 30's. I don't ride if the temp is going into the low 30's.

10. Big_Ross

Big_Ross Member

If I told you guys what the weather's like here in Adelaide at the moment, I think you'd probably raise a lynch mob and come looking for me!

11. m0pp3ry

m0pp3ry Member

i've just been waiting for a reason to move there. i think i might of found it.

12. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

Rode Friday and Sunday.
    58 degrees and sunny.
    Forcast is for 8" to 16" by this evening so looks like the season maybe over.
    I ran a tank of Seafoam through HER already in prep for winter.
    The tank is full, Seafoam in place.
    I'll leave the battery in for awhile just incase, you never know.
    When the battery comes out I'll change the oil and wait for the snow to melt.
    More time to wrench.
    :D

13. nikoteen

nikoteen Member

Well, a week ago i though i was going to put her away!!!
    Then the sun came out, i took her out.
    Then i thought, 'Hey, i know i'll put that rear seat pad on'.
    1 day later i had to test the seat pad, so took the wife out for a ride (only a few miles).
    Then today, woke up and it looked cold and frosty. "What better day to test for that 'cold-starting' issue i used to have before cleaning the carbs".
    And so here i am still riding her.
    Hmmm maybe next week. :)

14. HalfCentury

HalfCentury Member

Baltimore/DC here. Last week the XJ650 had a cold no-start day.
    Friday is supposed to be 66 degrees so will give it a try.

I have already filled up and used fuel stable.

I use a trickle charger every couple of weeks.

Carbs are off the parts bike awaiting re-build.

15. Pacocase

Pacocase Member

I had a real good ride last week. Cold, but good. Pretty much ditto on what HalfCentury said. I have a full tank and am debating on truly winterizing. I may just take the battery in and charge every so often. (no electricity in the barn where the bike is) and put some fuel stabilizer in.

All that said, I'll ride down into the low 40's but that's it. I can take the cold, but I sure can't take the ice.

16. flash1259

flash1259 Member

I heard that stabil when in the carbs is bad so if you use it make sure you empty the bowls, and in the spring empty the tank and use the gas for the lawn mower or car, an article by paul glaves ( a BMW tech) states that stabil gunks up as its being burned in the spring causing issues

I will try to find the article for you

Dam its 26°f out right now maybe I'll go start mine up for a few started fine @ 37°f lets see how low she will go before mine won't start. heaters not in the garage yet. :(

Found this video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G77BXjI5mcc

17. richt

richt Member

Frost on the ground this morning in Grand Rapids, MI. Good bikers ride until there's ice on the parking lot at work.

18. dqnjuan

dqnjuan Member

since I havent rode my xj yet, I will keep working in the garage thru the weather changes and whenever I finish the only thing stopping me from riding is going to be rain or snow....but then again might be spring b4 im done anyhow sigh....

19. MACDBF

MACDBF Member

Still have some driving left here in Nova Scotia...don't know for how much longer. I just came back from Quebec last weekend, they had a foot and a half of snow where I was..YUK! not ready for that yet!! But If the heavy rains slow down should get almost another month!
    Cheers Mac

20. coachholland

coachholland Member

Going to be mid 60's and sunny this weekend and nearly 75 on Monday and Sunday here in Kentucky. Not quite done for the season just yet. However, the weather has been cold since this past Friday (was 70 on Thursday and went for a 200 mile ride). Gave me a chance to take the tank off, strip it down and paint it. She'll be riding a with a new deep metallic red look this weekend.