1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fork bottom bolt to damper rod torque setting

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by railtrolley, Jun 14, 2009.

1. railtrolley

railtrolley Member

Dismantled both forks to replace leaking oil seals and dust wipers. For the damper rod holding tool, I welded a 22mm nut to a 2 ft long piece of 20mm RHS.

The Haynes manual says the fork bottom Allen bolt, the one that holds the damper rod, is torqued to 23Nm, which is about 18ft/lbs. Doesn't seem like enough, when the bolt needed much more force to get it undone. Does 23Nm sound like the right torque setting?

2. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

honestly, if you have the damper holding tool, that's fine, you can torque it to the specs. IF you don't, I always tighten by hand (and of course the internals spin, and you can't get it tight enough so it doesn't leak) I hit it with an impact gun...not much mind you, just enough to get that extra 1/8-1/4 of a turn to prevent a leak. I've done this so many times I can't count and knock on wood, haven't had an issue.

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

'Tis because the bolt is supposed to use super-duper thread locker fluid during installation, so when you go to remove it later, makes it seem as though it was torqued to a much greater value..........

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Is this something specific to the 900 or does it apply to other/all XJs?

There's no mention of using locking compound in the factory or Clymer books for the 550s...

5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The non-permanent thread locking compound is specified for use in the 750 Maxim, 700, 900 manuals. I don't see it specified in the other manuals. I would assume that it should be used on all of them, as having that bolt come loose could be a real problem...........but you're right no mention of it in the 550 or 650 manuals!

6. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I always use loc-tite on those bolts.

7. Chorca

Chorca Member

The Hayes manual I have states 14ft-lbs for the 750 models. I torqued it there and that seemed like about how much it was to take it off.