1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

For those of you without a center stand...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Shannon72, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Shannon72

Shannon72 Member

Sounds like there's a salvage yard pretty close to me that might have some stands; I might pick one up just to see. After all, it's not like $20 is the end of the world, right?

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just be sure it's actually for a 550. Seca or Max is not a concern, the part number was the same for both for all three years.

(4G0-27111-00-R4) It may actually have "4G0-27111" stamped into it somewhere (if you can find it under all the dirt.)

Good idea. I'll bet it fits.

A thought: the "upstop" was on the left muffler originally. If the stand now wants to come up and fight with the chain, that may be why it was removed to begin with. If that turns out to be the case, a simple upstop could be fashioned and bolted to the back of the footpeg mount (where the LH muffler originally attached.)

3. Chorca

Chorca Member

The Mac 4-into-1 setups come with a bracket with an angle specifically to keep the centerstand from hitting the exhaust on the 750s. There are no centerstand clearance problems on those, but then that's a 750.. The collector and pipes sit far enough forward and to the right that they don't interfere at all with the centerstand's operation, so I'd hope that the same is true for whichever system he has?

4. bigfitz52

Exactly. But I seem to remember a 550 owner who had a 4-1 fitted and the centerstand, with no stop for it, was coming up too far and getting into the chain. That was my concern.

5. Shannon72

Shannon72 Member

Well, we'll find out - I'm going to snag one off of eBay, as the lowest price the salvage yard is giving me is $50. We should know in about a week.

6. bigfitz52

Cool. I have centerstand attachment-point photos if you need them; there are a couple odd bits in there.

7. Shannon72

Shannon72 Member

Much appreciated; I've never really looked all that closely at that part of the bike before, so I'm sure they'll come in handy.

8. RangerG

RangerG Member

I have a Yoshimura 4 - 1 pipe on my 550. The centerstand will not fit with the pipe on. Also I can't remove my oil filter cover without taking the pipes off. I do have a centerstand that has been sitting in a corner for 20+ years. Bolts are on the bike, spring is long gone. Shipping will probably be more money than if you can find one local. If you are interested let me know.
    I got tired of ending up half way down the block, just to get chain lube on the entire chain. Spray - push - spray - push. I built a roller stand. If I jam it against something, the bike will roll on to it. I can lift the back end on to it as well. I have to put a 2X6 block under the side stand to level it. Now I can clean the chain and lube it in one spot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 2dawson

2dawson Member

You can always dream about having a REAL bike. :D

10. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Nice idea Ranger- - but I see no grease drippings, which means you just built it.
    You should paint it before it gets grease and solvent soaked.

11. seanem

seanem New Member

I recently picked up a center stand for my XJ550 at bent bike in Lynnwood WA (great store!!) but have no idea what hardware I need to attach it to the bike. is it one long bolt or two shorter bolts? is there a picture anywhere of what it should look like at the attachment points? I appreciate the help in advance.

12. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

It's 2 shorter bolts with smooth unthreaded shanks as the pivot point, so if you just use crappy hardware, the stand will over-center a bit.

13. bigfitz52

Will these help? One is a close-up of the pivot point and "stop;" the other is of the angle it will be at once deployed. My 550s are Secas but the stand is the same. With these and a quick look at a parts fiche you should be set. If you need better pics just holler.

Attached Files:

14. seanem

seanem New Member

the closeup of the bolt was great! thanks so much. I got under the bike today and saw how the stand slides over the two raised threaded pivot points. I found out why the PO didn't have one on the bike. the brackets on both sides have huge cracks at the base. I used your picture to show where I found them. I wonder if I can get them rewelded or repaired without having to take the bike apart?

Attached Files:

15. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Fitz, must not be pictures of your bike? I see just the tiniest bit of rust on the up-tube and there is dust on the centerstand :)

16. bigfitz52

it's my daily rider. :wink:

seanem You should be able to get a GOOD welder to fix it without completely disassembling the bike. However, I would remove and set aside the fuel tank and drain the carbs; unplug the TCI unit AND disconnect the plug wires, remove the battery, unplug the rectifier and pull all the fuses out of the fusebox. You don't want to take any chances of "zapping" anything in the electrical system as a result.

Likewise, the welder will have to be very careful. There's a lot of fragile aluminum down there.