1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Replacement H4 Headlight and many light questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bvpoot, Sep 11, 2009.

1. bvpoot

bvpoot New Member

If both are 12 volts (are they?), what's the diff between a car H4 and a motorcycle H4? And a 9003 (12.8 volt)? And HB2?

I was in NAPA trying to buy a headlight replacement bulb and there were three H4's -- one that was 60Watt and the others were 100Watt+. I went home and consulted my Haynes manual (I have no owner's manual) and it said simply "H4."

BTW, the Haynes says the fog light needs "a single filament quartz halogen bulb rated at 35W." That's it. no other code or spec. WTFoxtrot?

I will be in the big city Saturday a.m. (taking my biker driver test) and want to buy both replacement bulbs before I tackle the lights that are embedded in my factory fairing. If I tear down the fairing I want to be able to fix the lights and get it together, with parts in hand.

What precipitated this is, I was riding today and almost got turned into, only to find out that my high beam was burned out. See, I drive during the day with my high beam on, and didn't know it had expired until I pulled over after almost nearly a near death experience of almost getting turned into.

The low beam still works, so I cranked the knob on the fairing headlight adjustometer and raised it so it would shine into the eyes of all oncoming traffic just as my high beam had done before its demise. The fairing has a crank knob to adjust the beam since the headlight is hermetically sealed inside the impermeable fairing that I have no idea how to replace bulbs in.

As always, I anxiously await the sage advice and veritable pearls of wisdom that pour forth from you fine folks. Meanwhile, rain is forecasted for the morning of my rider's test tomorrow.

Hasta!

2. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Which Haynes manual? I got the "XJ650 and XJ750 Fours" Haynes manual and it does specify 60/55W lamps for most headlights (50/40W for the XJ650 G, H ,LH, and J).

Sorry, though, I don't have any other data on the aux lamp. Just have to bring the old bulb with you to match.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

A "motorcycle" H4 bulb is "vibration resistant" and has a support for the filament embedded in the nose of the glass bulb.

DON'T run the 100-watt bulb, you'll cook your electrics. You can use the automotive style 60/55W bulb but be aware it may not last as long as the recommended type.

4. Chorca

Chorca Member

The fog light is a standard H3 bulb, there are replacements readily available. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0KNSM) The only issue with that is the motorcycle uses bullet style connectors for the fog light bulb, whereas all H3s made nowadays are blade style.
    I fixed this by lopping off the bullet connector on the bike and installing a standard blade-style connector, so it'll accept what's standard nowadays.

I swapped the standard (burnt out) H3 that was in there for a 55W 2500k "fog light yellow" bulb, and it seems to be running well. There's a slight dimming of the main light when it's on at idle, but not noticable at any sort of speed.

I did it to improve visibility for other drivers, having a different colored light hopefully helps them see me better.