1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bill's project bike.

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by jarreddaughtry, Nov 8, 2009.

1. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Get to spraying to see where the leaks are :)

2. a340driver

a340driver Member

Do you have rubber intake boots? maybe with all the on/off of the carbs you have a new leak.

3. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Any progress Jarred? I have some free time this weekend, maybe we could look at it.

4. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Wow. I just now found this thread. i never even knew about it nor do I go looking on this part of the forum. I'm glad you got the bike Jarred. :) I do hope to get together again soon for a ride. Mark I haven't forgotten about you. Sorry to hear about your knee, and hope you get well soon.I've just been busy lately with the baby and all. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

5. Dave_89_VMAX

Dave_89_VMAX Member

Boots were a problem for me with the recent card rebuild... ended up replacing them and it took care of the leak... They didn't look bad at 1st but apparently when she warmed up they expanded?! at least thats my story and I'm sticking to it!! :D

6. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

Jared,

Great to here you are completing Bill's project. I've pretty much been AWOL from the forum lately. Work has taken up so much time it's left me with no extra time except for essentials.

I'd love to see it as you make progress.

7. jarreddaughtry

jarreddaughtry Member

Well the bike is in my backyard covered up by a tarp. I have screws in my foot from my surgery and it's hard for me to get around, I'm tired of working on it right now and it is hard to get any help. I'll pick back up on it someday. Mark if you want to help me you can give me a call, Thanks.

Thanks everyone for their continued support, but I am out of options at this point and I am just going to let it lie for awhile.

8. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

I'd be glad to help, my knee has been keeping me still for the past few weeks. I'm almost back to my old self

9. SSRat

SSRat Member

Jared,
    I haven't posted in a while, but have been lurking in the forums. I have a 400 Seca that I was working on the same time Bill was with the Maxim.
    When I first started her up, she had a very similar issue... however cleaning the carbs and then removing and replacing the carb boots with new gaskets (made my own... it's fast, easy and best of all CHEAP) and it was better... but it still 'hung' and would only run with the choke. So I took it apart AGAIN. I used a wire I stripped from a wire brush... very thin... and found a whole bunch of little holes and passages that were STILL clogged, and I had thought I had been thorough. I encourage you to clean the carbs yourself... it's not hard at all and that way you can be *SURE* they are properly cleaned. ^^
    My Seca 400 is currently stripped down the frame for a winter rebuild, and I will be shimming the needle a bit as she ran pretty lean (apparntly these engines do that). I'll be happy to answer any questions as I have all the parts easily accessible on my workbench, and would be happy to take any pictures if you need.
    I'd really like to see Bill's project completed, and the bike enjoyed.
    Take Care.

10. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Jared, We'll all be here to help out once your back at her.....

SS, My Max was running lean, but responded fine by just adjusting the mixture screw, didn't need to shim the needle at all.....
    Running a bit rich fixes up some of the engine braking in 1st and 2nd (If your runnigna bit lean you know what I mean, especially in 1st) and chenges the exhaust note to a bit more throaty :)

Time for the annual carb clean here as well, and plot some more mods.
    All depending on free cash (whatever that is hehe)

11. SSRat

SSRat Member

She's lean in 4th gear around 5k RPM. Like, white-as-snow lean. Did chops around 4.5k up to 6k (IIRC... it was a few months ago!) and that's what made me decide to shim the needle. I should be running those rpms most of the time, and I wouldn't want her running THAT lean for any majority of time.
    The mixture screw was only helping with chops at and around idle... it didn't make a difference up higher, and really it shouldn't. The mix screws are only the pilots and really only affect idle and the first little part of your throttle position... unless I'm way off?

12. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Wow, that almost sounds like a vacuum leak lean mix

Never run into that issue at all

13. Dave_89_VMAX

Dave_89_VMAX Member

Jarred, Sorry to hear your laid up. I hope you mend quickly and are ready to ride in the spring. I wish I could offer counsel on the project bike but Bill was the motogeek, I am the rider!! I'll gladly "ride" it when your done, until then I will be in the wings supplying moral support and an occassional wise @$$ remark. Feel well and thanks for taking on the challange.

Merry Christmas,

14. Tiny

Tiny Member

jarred, I hope you are healing well. I know the need to step away from a project, it can be frustrating to even find the time to work on them. When you decide to get back to it we will all be here for moral support.

15. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

I got your phone message Jarred, we are going out of towe for Christmas. I'll call you on Monday. I have all next week off, maybe we can get together then.

16. Dave_89_VMAX

Dave_89_VMAX Member

How's it going Jarred??

17. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Still there Jared?
    Haven't heard from you.