1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Still having the worst time with pegs.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by chuckles_no, Jan 3, 2010.

1. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

So I have been all over looking for pegs. I live right down the street from Rivco, a motorcycle accessory manufacturer here in Burlington WI. They looked at my front pegs and were kinda confused at the rivet type pin. At first they told me "someone riveted this back on" I was actually showing them a NOS peg, brand new that I can't use because I bought 2 right ones and they are discontinued.
    I just want to put new pegs on the darn thing! Haha.
    If there is anybody who has gone with aftermarket pegs, can you tell me what to do so I can just copy you?
    I feel like a total loser with this whole foot peg thing. I didn't even worry about it before as I was focusing on what i thought were the hard parts and here I am stuck on foot pegs. Haha. You guys should have seen me trying to staple the new seat cover on the seat pan. I looked like a monkey trying to screw a foot ball... and the football was winning.
    Anyway... Oh yeah... Foot pegs. Pretend I am 5 years old. Seriously. I don't want to pay a shop $500 to do it unless its a last resort.
    Its a 550 maxim. The front pegs are the problem. The adapter is welded to the bracket. Its how they made them.

2. schooter

schooter Active Member

this is what you could do... buy two foot pegs and their mounting bracket... cut the new pegs off of their bracket so they still will swivel, then weld them to the xj bracket... or have a machine shop weld them and then paint them

3. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

Yeah... I just sent "chacal", the XJ4ever owner a message asking him if he has the parts I am looking for. If not I am thinking I am going to do exactly that. I never learned to weld but have quite a few people close to me who can do it for me. So if all else fails, thats the plan. Thanks.
    And if that fails, there are always hammers, duct tape, J.D. Cold weld, and super glue. Hahaha. Just kidding. Its not like I am fixing a car here. Hahaha

4. wera90ex

wera90ex Member

I'm going to change mine too. I have a couple of cadidates for a replacement but its been cold and I'm being lazy.
    Hey Schooter, at first I wasn't too sure about that idea,but doing it that way sure opens up your choices.
    Thanks! Good idea.
    I'll post up when I find something.

5. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Can't you drill out the end of the rivet? Alot of motorcycles have a pin instead, that is secured with a cotter pin in the end. You need to run by a motorcycle junkyard. Alot of Japanese footpegs have the same dimensions and would work with no modifications.

6. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

Well... footpeg issue solved. It is amazing to find NOS parts and chacal, the XJ4ever guy sold me the parts I needed. So the problem is solved and I appreciate the help everyone. But also, if you are looking for anything try XJ4ever in the forums. The guy is also willing to answer your questions, almost immediately, and buying from him was hassle-free. First place I am going from now on for parts.

7. seaguy

seaguy Member

Speaking of the seat cover wrestling match I will soon have to do the same thing. My bike came with a new seat cover with only a few staples holding it on. Did you make a push down clamp to compress the cushion while stapling or do it the bullrider way?

8. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

Oh I went for it bare knuckled and ready to rumble. Got my ass whooped. Then went with the clamps... using small c-clamps with pieces cut from the sole of a boot. But the stapler I got didn't have the power necessary to fire the staples in all the way. No matter what I did. So... Use a good stapler! An air brad and staple gun is what I'd use if I was still determined to do it myself.