1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Helmet Question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by hb2553, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Galamb

Galamb Member

hb2553
    I would never buy a used helmet. You never know what it has been through. If you only drop your helmet once, it is toast. Time to get a new one.

2. hb2553

hb2553 Member

Yeah.....ya got a point. Plus just the thought of havin my face up against a chin guard that somebody else has been droolin on kinda makes me a little sick. I tryed to Google that Pep Boys site and nothing comes up. Did they go outta business or what? I didnt know they sold Helmets!!!!! I really like the recommendation bigfitz52 gave me with the HJC CL-SP full face. He said it's really comfortable and I checked it out on eBay......I like it. I like this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HJC-CL-S ... 230482fac2

3. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Everybody's noggin is different. You need to try them on to know for sure. Even then, you won't really know until you wear it for awhile.

The one I was wearing when I went down was an FX-100. I got it from J.C. Whitney for $70. I'm not even sure who makes it. It was quite comfortable.

When I replaced it I spent $100 more for an HJC IS-16. It has never got as comfortable as that cheap FX. It does have better ventilation though.

One nice thing about the HJC CL-SP is the cheek pads are replaceable. So if you've got a small head but a fat face you can get the right size helmet then switch pads so it doesn't squeeze your kisser.

4. wera90ex

wera90ex Member

Love my HJCs' I actually have 4 of them. 2 for racing and 2 for street. Really like the integral sun sheild on the street helmet.
    I'm kind of surprised no one has popped up the normal helmet sayings........... Have $10 head, get a $10 helmet.......Price a neurosurgeon for a consultation.........price a helmet.
    Not trying to insult anyone mind you. But the only reason I'm typing this today is because of a helmet. On 4 different occasions.

FWIW Helmets are only designed to last 5 years. The manufacture date ,most of the time, is on the inside left,under the padding.
    Also, don't put your helmet on top of your gas tank. For 2 reasons,one the obvious, it'll fall off and two gas fumes venting from the cap can degrade the impact absorbing foam inside the helmet.
    Most of all, WEAR 'EM !

5. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

I am thinking about getting one of those hell-mats that have the flip-up front. I forgot what they are called. Right now I have an old HJC but it is far better than the $69.95 special I got from Farm and Fleet

6. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

It's only funny til someone gets hurt. Then it's freakin hilarious.

(sorry... had a double post for some reason. Figured I'd write something different over one of them)

7. Robert

Robert Active Member

You might take a look at Fulmer. ( http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Default.aspx ) Made in the USA and reasonably priced. I bought one over a year ago and have had satisfactory results. The padding system can be tailored to your face (they have sizing kits) and a knowledgeable sales person can set you up pronto. They DO NOT sell via internet or over the phone as they want their customers to be fitted to their helmet (BIG kudos to them).
    I must confess that they seem very light weight to me and have a fair amount of wind noise (ear plugs are mandatory for me). Inexpensive visors snap in and out much easier than my Shoei's ever did (about $25 a shot for a new visor). I purchased and used their anti-fog visor and it worked REALLY well. A summer-weight helmet in my opinion.

9475 Fulmer Road
    Olive Branch, MS 38654
    800-489-2300
    Fax: 888-503-7200
    Email: info@fulmerhelmets.com

8. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

The point of the article linked earlier is that for the most part the inexpensive helmets perform as well or better than the big $$ gear.

There may well be advantages to a higher priced helmet (ventilation, noise, wieght, integral sun shades etc.) but it won't do any better protecting the gray matter.

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

What I do when shopping for a helmet is to visit many different retail outlest and try on as many different makes/models as I can, until I find the one most comfortable for me.

Then I buy one on-line.

10. wera90ex

wera90ex Member

The point of the article linked earlier is that for the most part the inexpensive helmets perform as well or better than the big $$ gear.

There may well be advantages to a higher priced helmet (ventilation, noise, wieght, integral sun shades etc.) but it won't do any better protecting the gray matter.[/quote]

HJC helmets are not big $$$ gear. The one with the shade,removable liner and vent system was only $125. The rest were in the $90 to $100 w/gradiant shields.
    I agree you don't need a $700 Aria to be safe but where do you draw the line for inexpensive helmets? What does Tractor Supply know that the largest helmet manufacturer in the world,HJC, doesn't?

11. desertrat

desertrat Member

I used to wear a M2R, I liked it. After a wreck I loved it. Because my road bikes are down, I'm primarily on dirt these days. Shelled out the $350 (marked down) on a Shoei full face cause I had never felt anything better. It just fit perfectly and my skull is worth it.
    Been shopping around for a new road helmet....+1 on BigFitz, try them all on, pick the best fit. I'm still looking.

If its to hot for a full face helmet, its to hot to ride. Same can be said for all the other gear as well.
    Does anybody remember a study about helmet impact zones during crashes??? As I recall the most common location was on the lower jaw, left side......I maybe wrong about the location but the study did advocate full face based on their results.

12. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I think you mean this one:
    [​IMG]
    It's right side, not that it really matters.

Between the chin bar and face shield it adds up to 44.5%

13. desertrat

desertrat Member

44.5% that says it all

14. xj-tabi

xj-tabi Member

I recently picked up a Shark Evoline. It's modular. It's rated by the DOT and EWC for both full face and open. It also has the internal sunscreen. I love it! I do notice a big difference in how quiet the Shark is over my old modular. As what's been said before, as long as it's DOT that's what matters. Here's the web site for more info.

http://www.shark-helmets.com/product.ph ... me=EVOLINE

15. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

New invention- -
    A 3/4 helmet with a wire chin guard just like a football helmet.
    It would protect like a full face, but not be so - - constrictive and hot.

And yes heat is an issue. Maybe not where you live.

16. hb2553

hb2553 Member

You have a good idea there. Yes heat is the issue here also. It gets up to 108 degrees with 85% humidity......desertrat had the right idea.....if it's to hot for a helmet it's probably to hot to ride. Although from my past experience back when I didnt have to wear a helmet. After a hot softball game it sure felt nice to get on the ole bike and ride home. Cooled right down. I'm older and wiser from the info I have read. I never used to even think I would ever get in any accident when I used to ride. I had some close calls where people just didnt see me and pulled out, but I got lucky and never got hit. With a bike accident I dont imagine there are just fender benders.....I mean if ya get into an accident....you're gonna be the one that gets hurt and most likely pretty bad. I never hear on the news about a motorcycle rider who was involved in an accident and just walked away without a scratch. The news is usually almost always either fatal or they are in critical condition in the hospital.......Full Face for me and pads would be nice.

17. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Well, the ones that do walk away don't make the news. I doubt there are many, but I am one.

I plowed at 40mph into the side of a car that pulled out on me. I walked away with a sore foot and two very lightly skinned knuckles because:

1 - I was riding a big touring bike
    2 - It was a small car
    3 - I had a full face helmet
    4 - I was wearing armor
    5 - I was wearing strong mid calf leather riding boots
    6 - I was wearing gloves
    7 - I was lucky there wasn't another vehicle behind me

For you guys that are concerned about a full faced helmet and heat - you could even remove the shield and get the protection of the chin bar. I just open it at low speeds.

On a really hot day I wear a wet do-rag under my helmet. At 70 MPH it's actually cold.

18. Hillsy

Hillsy Member

Metal cage on a helmet is a pretty bad idea if it comes loose and stabs you in the face 8O

19. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

"Chin bar and face shield.. 44.5%"....that was one point of contact after I went flying over a car in a similar manner to MiCarl ....... full face helmets...why wouldn't you?

20. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Its the difference between having crashed and not.

Once you've crashed, you learn that it CAN happen to you and that you're NOT invincible after all.

My altercation with a car was 28 years ago, and although I was able to "limp away" it cost me two weeks in the hospital. I was wearing my leather and helmet so my injuries were pretty much confined to broken and shattered bones. I cannot even BEGIN to imagine what would have happened if I'd been in a t-shirt, vest and half-helmet.

ATGATT, ever since.