1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Turn Signal Gremlin ~!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by midnitexj, Mar 5, 2010.

1. midnitexj

midnitexj New Member

Having an a problem with my right turn signal. Pull the signal switch to the left and it flashes fine, cancel and turn to the right side and all I hear is the relay fast clicking. Went to my Clymer Manual, not sure if I read it correctly. Thought it was a problem with the relay itself and bought a new relay from Yamaha. Still not getting power to my right turn signals. Is it the switch on the handle bar? Need some XJ experience with this one!

2. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

Fast clicking and no lights = short circuit. Probably nothing wrong with the relay...

3. midnitexj

midnitexj New Member

So that means I need to look for broken wires, bad ground? Or would there be something in the switch on the bars?

4. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

The cycling frequency on the stock flasher is affected by the load. If you hook up LED bulbs, it will not cycle at all, but if you short the wires at the turn signals, it will cycle really fast, and usually blow a fuse within a few seconds.

Most likely one of the turn signal pigtais is shorted to ground. You could try unplugging them one at a time and see if it stops cycling...

5. wera90ex

wera90ex Member

Yep! what those guys said. Have you pulled off one or more of the sigs reasently?
    I did, trying to install always-on lights in the front. Found out I pinched one of the wires putting the sig back on the stalk. If you've done anything with the wiring, go back and trace your steps.
    If your doin' it for the first time, it ain't no sin to have to do it more than once. ...........just watch for sparks or what's smokin'.

6. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack, but I've got a slightly similar problem with my 750 Max; my RH light comes on solid, but no chattering from the relay that I'm aware of.

Only thing that's been done is to move the relay when I swapped the coils, although I'm not thinking heat to be a problem.

7. Robert

Robert Active Member

Have you checked the grounds and/or the signal bulb socket Schmuck? How about the signal connections (the ones in the headlight bucket and under the rear seat).
    I have fallen in love with my soda blaster for cleaning up crusty parts.

8. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

I have not, and I will do so.

I don't think I'd let your wife hear that if I were you. ;)

I have neither a soda blaster, nor a tiny undersized garage to stuff it in, but I'll come up with something.

9. HogWild

HogWild New Member

My turn signal has had the same issues. It took several steps to fix but works great now.

First take apart the left switch assembly and check the solders on the slider. 2 of 3 were disconnected on mine.

After this I was able to get a solid ON to the right indicator lights and no signal to the left lights. I used a trailer flasher where the original signal relay was. The factory is a 3 post but one of the wires does not need to be used. Can't remember which but I just bent it back and wired in the 2 post trailer flasher.

Next I had an issue a few days later with my right signals. The front would flash very fast and the rear was out. I looked at my fuses and they were flexing. After a few moments the signal fuse blew. To make a long story short the rear signal ground had come loose and appeared to be grounding out on the frame. After re-doing the connections the flashers worked like they were supposed to.

10. midnitexj

midnitexj New Member

Thanx for all the input. Will try these suggestions this weekend, and see what happens.