1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bench flooding carbs

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by oak450, Feb 22, 2008.

1. oak450

oak450 Member

Just installed four new float valves with needles, to get rid of some sticky float valves that the bike came with. Helped, the carbs stopped flooding back up the air intake.

But now I'm trying to set the float levels, with the carbs off the bike, and something I've done caused the carb I'm working on to start flooding back out the airway again. These are brand new float valves, got them in the mail yesterday. I don't see how it can be leaking, or what I did to cause it. The valves are clean, as far as I can tell.

I've got a funnel on a stand set above with a tube down to the carbs, and fuel line/ clear tube coming off the drain stub on the bowl to check the level. Was working quite well till the carbs started flooding again.

Ideas?

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if the little pin goes up in the hole the gas will stop, i guess yours isn't
    is the tiny spring/keeper thingy still on the pin and around the float tang
    the float isn't upside down
    the tang didn't break off the float
    their so far out of whack they can't close
    you got the right parts
    a chunk of something stuck in there
    operator error / too much beer

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

The pin that the float pivots on, and the rolled part of the float are dirty, sticky with the varnished gas or rust and can be polished shiny. Roll up a scrap of 1000 grit and get inside the tiny rolled part of the float. Yes, working on carbs is that picky; it's not a car carburetor that takes 6 pounds of fuel pressure on 1 needle/seat.

Does the flodding stop if you tap the rack?

4. oak450

oak450 Member

The only beer in the fridge is natty lite. I didn't pick it. I could drink that stuff all night and stay stone sober, except for the godawful taste. It's not the beer.

Think you were right, Time. I took a drill bit and pushed it in and around the rolled part of the floats, sanded down the rods yet again, and I think it loosened up, they're behaving now (not flooding up the air vents or whatever they are).

While messing around with the level on the #1 carb, the last one I had to do, I somehow stopped fuel flow to it. All the carbs up to #2 get fuel. The fuel rail's not blocked. When I open the carb bowl, the float comes down and gas starts flowing again (and I start cussing again). Not sure what's going on.

Looks like another saturday hunched over the carbs, high on gas.

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

my bad
    operator error / not enough beer :)

6. rovemink

rovemink New Member

sounds like your floats are rubbing on the bowl.

7. wera90ex

wera90ex Member

How come Natty lite only tastes good when my friend buys it?