1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Guages for an XS650 on my '82 XJ550?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Brett550Seca, May 19, 2010.

1. Brett550Seca

Brett550Seca New Member

Hi all. New to the site, and fairly new to bikes. Thanks for having me.

Will these gauges for an XS650 work on my 1982 XJ550 Seca? I think so, but I'm not positive. I emailed the company, but they rudely told me to take my non-XS650 and go home. Any thoughts?

Thanks tons!

-Brett

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-46.html#products

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. perryfager81

perryfager81 Member

I hope the will. I'm planning on using them on mine. I'm thinking that it will work, just have to crimp connections on the wires and use the oem plastic plug. At least that's what I hope will work...

3. brianf408

brianf408 Member

I actually just put one of those on my bike about a month ago, works perfectly. Be prepared to do a little wiring though for the lights and such.

[​IMG]

4. KennyNapalm

KennyNapalm Member

/watchin this thread. i want to see how you wire it up when you do, if you dont mind givin a few pics and what not there Brett550

5. Brett550Seca

Brett550Seca New Member

I totally will. Keep in mind, it'll probably take me a few weeks at least to get it ordered and done. Also, I'm bad at this. So it might be a comedy of errors. Good thing I have friends who are smarter than me.

6. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

That looks cool as shit... where are you ordering it from?

brianf - where did you get yours?

7. Brett550Seca

Brett550Seca New Member

Brianf, do you know the part number for that spedo? The one I'm looking at is Part #03-0748. MikesXS has a hardcore no returns policy, and aren't interested in helping me figure out if it will work. Not being a terribly mechanically (or electrically) inclined guy, I don't want to mess it up and burn out the gauge.

Did you get yours at MikesXS? The gauges look exactly the same, but I'd hate the be wrong.

8. nickel98!

nickel98! Member

Can't really tell by the pics, but does that speedo have the white lead for the reed switch that would go to the blinker auto-cancel relay?

9. Raven

Raven Member

^Brett, I ended up getting the 03-0748 from MikesXS for my 750 Seca. I've never tackled motorcycle wiring before, but hooking up the gauge was pretty easy. The only things to keep straight are the indicator lights, and what color needs to go to what other color. I don't think you'll "burn out the gauge" :) if a light doesn't turn on, it's an LED, so just flip the wires around.

^Nickel, there are only two wires sent to the XS gauge for the indicator light (hot and neutral for the LED in the cluster). I don't know if that answers your question... The only function of the wiring into the gauge for the turn signal indicator is just that of the light itself...no additional relay.

10. nickel98!

nickel98! Member

@Raven, Thanks, yes thats what I wanted to know. I wanted to change my gauges but I want to keep the reed switch. Meh, oh well.

11. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Raven do you have a pic of yours installed?

12. Raven

Raven Member

I'm still in the middle of rebuilding my bike, these are the best pics I have to give you two looks at it...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

those look REALLY good Raven. What are the part #'s?

14. Raven

Raven Member

Thanks kool...the speedo is 03-0748 from MikesXS, the tach I got on eBay; here's a current auction for the one I got, same seller too:
    HERE

Note...the link above is to an electric tach. To the OP (Brett), if you want to also add a tach, your 550 will need a mechanical tach.

15. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Thanks a lot man... I appreciate it.

16. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

man, now i need to pull $100 out to get those gauges...

17. Brett550Seca

Brett550Seca New Member

Shiney! Thanks for the good pics. My spedo is in the mail, so I'm waiting anxiously. I've never done much electric or mechanical work, so this will be a big learning experience. I'll post reports of my progress.

18. Brett550Seca

Brett550Seca New Member

OK, started swapping out the gauges today. Nothing like jumping into a project to remind myself how mechanically UN-inclined I am. But, I like learning as I go.

I'm not sure if these pictures will show, so fingers crossed.

This is the old gauges. Remembered to take a pic just before I yanked it.
    [​IMG]

As I started to clip wires, I labeled each one. I tried to test each one to see what it did before I cut it, but not all of them I could sus out. I've got the Clymer manual, and I'm hoping the guy I got it from used original color wires. Otherwise I could be in for some hunting.
    [​IMG]

Here's a question: This white plug thingy is the blinkers. Do I need to replace the white plug, or can I just hardwire it all together? My new guage doesn't separate the left and right turn signal, so I should be able to wire both to the same light. Right?
    [​IMG]

Good thing I have a mechanic coming over tomorrow anyway. This is as far as I got before I felt I needed some help. I'll take more pictures tomorrow, and keep updating.

Thanks!

19. Brett550Seca

Brett550Seca New Member

Crap! Those picture links didn't work at all! I'm confused, how do I get them to display?

20. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Here you go man....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]