1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

GP shifting

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by blackthunder, Jun 30, 2010.

1. blackthunder

blackthunder Member

Is it possible to switch the bike from standard shifting to GP shifting (1 up and 2, 3, 4, & 5 down)?

2. Raven

Raven Member

Without knowing about the inner workings...

Depending on your model of bike, I'd imagine with some creative fabrication of a foot peg and shifter lever, you might be able to. I.e., on my Seca, the shifter lever doesn't come straight off of the transmission "peg", it hinges "remotely" to reverse the action (toe-up = counter clockwise turn of shifter).

Pic of when my bike was damaged, but you can see the dual hinge setup:
    [​IMG]

If you had a shifter lever coming straight off the transmission "peg" (the one to the right in the pic), that would give you toe-up = clockwise turn, or what you're looking for. Another option...assuming you have a shifter like mine, you could route the "connecting rod" of the adjuster so it makes a "Z"...not sure how to describe this, but picture the adjustment connecting rod so it goes from up and left to down and right, as opposed to how you see it above (up left and up right).

3. Alchai

Alchai Member

If its standard, and NOT like yours, he can just mock it up like yours, even.

4. Lou627

Lou627 Member

I may be wrong, but I believe you can get the side cover from a seca or a 750 that has this set up shown above, and it will fit. If I'm right about that, there might still be an issue with where the lever sits in relation to the peg.

Based on the answers I got when looking into putting a seca engine in a maxim...

5. schooter

schooter Active Member

yes, if you make the seca 750 like a normal shifter lever, of if you make any other bike like a seca 750..

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I'll donate a Shifter with an elongated Lever Height Adjuster that can be used to help with the project.

But it seems to me ...
    Having the 1-Down, and 2, 3, 4, & 5 -- Up --> Shift Shaft Rotation being Standardized ...

To alter the pattern will necessitate the inclusion of a IDLER Shaft and an Opposing-directional Rocker-arm (where rods will be attached) to reverse the Rotation on the Shaft as the Shift Lever is raised or lowered.

7. blackthunder

blackthunder Member

thank you all. had a feeling it was just a matter of eliminating the linkage but as Lou627 pointed out, the position of the shift lever vs the peg may be an issue.
    @Raven: never even thought of reversing the linkage
    @RickCoMatic: if you are serious about donating an elongated adjuster to lengthen the linkage for this project i will pm you my mailing addy and buy you a pint if you are ever up here in London, Ontario. cheers