1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 maxim project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by deadohiosky, Mar 10, 2010.

1. cassidy.patrick

cassidy.patrick Member

looking good man looking good

2. KennyNapalm

KennyNapalm Member

slick lookin bike dude. new gauges would be bad ass, but everything looks good.

3. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

I would wait to pull the carbs again. I had the same thing only out of carb 4 and after I ran it down the road and back everything settled in the carbs and no more leaking. You might just have a float sticking that the engine vibrations can get rid of.

4. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

thats looking very sweet man. like the color alot!

5. Platkeyboy

Platkeyboy Member

You make it sound like you really didn't do much with the carbs, and it just refuses to NOT start for you. I have to admit I'm a bit jealous. Mine is flat out refusing to start so far, but that's a conversation for another thread. The bike is looking great. Thanks for taking that original seat off; I can uncover my eyes now, lol.

6. Raven

Raven Member

I love the color scheme! Too bad you didn't want a front fender...more paint "real estate" to contrast with the black of the wheels :)

I had gas leaking out of my airbox only once last fall; ran some SeaFoam through (I know in this case is more or less a band-aid...), haven't had any problems since.

Keep up the good work!

7. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Lookin' good, I like the color.

8. skillet

skillet Active Member

Another that likes the colors :wink: ...

skillet

9. pauluminous

pauluminous Member

+1 on what they said

10. oneuglybike

oneuglybike Member

Man, I feel like a lazy piece....my bike has sat in my garage for a year collecting dust and you have built the bike I hope to one day have. Nicely done, nice bike.

I am also a fan of the color. There are already enough flat black 80's bobbers out there.

11. deadohiosky

deadohiosky Member

Thanks for the compliments guys. I was originally going to do all black, but wanted something that stood out a bit more. I used duplicolor metal specks and am very happy with the result. I'll take some photos in the sunlight once I've cleared and polished.

Also hoping to get rid of the giant gauge cluster over winter and replace it with something smaller.

As for the carbs, it would have helped if I hadn't put 2 of the floats in upside down...d'oh! Should have them buttoned back up tonight.

12. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

hahahahahah.... When I just redid my carbs a month or so ago I put them ALL in upside down. :D Glad to see I'm not the only dumbass on here.

Your paint is inspiring me to do the same and add some color to the bike instead of just using bedliner as the paint like I was going to. I think I'll strip it all down this winter and still do the frame with bedliner, but the tank and fender are going to get spray bombed like yours. I need to check what other colors they have and see what calls out to me. Maybe blue?

What did you clear with?

13. deadohiosky

deadohiosky Member

Koolaid - that makes me feel better :)

The metal specks blue looks pretty good, I've seen it on some bikes on the interwebs. I was originally going to do bedliner too, so I have a couple unopened cans in my garage. I got to worrying that it might build up too much on the frame and make things fit back together harder, so I just went with a satin black.

Haven't cleared yet, didn't have time after painting, so I'm letting the orange cure first, but I'm going to just use duplicolor clear laquer and wetsand then hit with rubbing compound...good enough for the girls I go with!

14. stryker

stryker Member

what did you use for the rear fender?

15. Orange-n-Black

Well of coarse I like it.

16. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

awesome man.... check out my thread here in about 15 min and I'll have some updated pics posted. I see the finish line in sight. :D The paint might not get done until winter, but I was able to run it around the block tonight. I just need to properly mount the exhaust, seat, headlight, and finish up the wiring and she's good to go.

17. deadohiosky

deadohiosky Member

Been super busy with work family stuff, but the good news is after cleaning the carbs and bench syncing them again, fixing some bad intake manifold leaks, and replacing the friction plates, she fired up and I ripped around the neighborhood. Bad news is I was still having some electrical issues, so now this is where I'm at, thinning this down to the minimum wiring + signals.

[​IMG]

Also got new tires to mount and am heading to the cycle graveyard to find a MC that won't be at such an extreme angle on the drag bars.

Stryker-the rear fender is the stock one rotated forward with the original tail light holes welded shut.

18. deadohiosky

deadohiosky Member

She's roadworthy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eliminated all this "useless" wiring. Wow, what a difference it made.
    [​IMG]

My dimmer switch was snapped off when I bought the bike, so I replaced with a simple toggle switch on the headlight bucket
    [​IMG]

Also, starter button was broken, so I replaced a relocated down by the left side cover...helluva lot easier than always jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver. Removed the choke cable too, simple enough to reach down and turn on at the carbs.

Had to replace the automotive style clamps that were holding on the muffler because I needed more clearance...learned the hard way by losing a muffler around a corner. Don't think I could go much lower with this bike 8O

Left to do is find a speedo, clear the paint and replace the master cylinder, but for the time being, just enjoying it. Plan to fabricate some new side covers over winter, without the stock seat pan, the covers just look out of place, but will work for now.

I'll try to get the wifey to video it running so I can share.

19. Orange-n-Black

Bought my speedo at JCWhitney for about 50 bucks, its small, simple and mechanical.

20. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

looks great man. Got my speedo from mikes XS.