1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Tips for running lean?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 1904xj, Jul 16, 2010.

1. 1904xj

1904xj Member

I noticed my bikes plugs are getting white. Coud this be becuase im running lean? If so how do I go about solving this issue? I'm still waiting for my XJCD to come in so I need all the help I can get right now.
    Thanks in advance everyone.

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

turn the pilot mixture screws OUT, but just a fraction at a time until you get a nice straw color.

3. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

The main jets may be to small. Is the bike stock or has the exhaust / intake been modified?

4. 1904xj

1904xj Member

My bike is stock. I already tried the adjusting screw becuase of an iddle problem in having. Iddle starts at 1500 and goes up to 2500 as I ride. The screw didn't do anything either way I was turning it. Should I go in there and take my carbs out for a good cleaning? I'm used to working with single carbs this rack looks kinda scary :?.

5. skills4lou

skills4lou Member

No worries, take it out and do some cleaning. Sounds like you have a couple probables:
    Vacuum leak (replace the throttle shaft seals while you have the carbs apart)
    pilot fuel circuit not spotless.
    Use the links in Rick-o-matic's signature, great write up and easy to follow. Take your time and you'll be fine. don't let the 4 carb rack scare you.

6. 1904xj

1904xj Member

Thank you for those encouraging words.
    I have my manual now and that link is awsome!
    Ill get to the cleaning.