1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Budget problem solving....

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dmccreery05, Sep 4, 2010.

1. dmccreery05

dmccreery05 New Member

I had read some forums about dry rotted manifolds on my XJ750... I took the advice from someone to use plasti-dip ( that stuff you can dip your plier handles in for a rubbery like plastic coating) to coat the dry rotted rubber manifolds. I tried this because I really dont have $280.00 plus tax for four rubber sleeves. ( EBAY is a coin toss for quality items)
    After removing carbs and cleaning manifolds well, I used a model paint brush to apply a couple thick coats (four hrs between coats) Didnt wanna try to remove them because of the soft metal hex allen bolts. I just knew they would break, So a model paint brush was the way for me.
    It worked perfect...It is durable yet flexable enough to apply the carbs with no cracking or peeling like "RTV" silicone.
    So I just wanted to say a few words of Thanks to the average joe budgeted rider, like myself.

2. msherrow

msherrow New Member

that's an excellent idea..I'm a little worried about mine too. I'll give it a try. thanks.

3. amfmtxca

amfmtxca Member

Thanks for that bit of info mine are showing some signs of dry rot. Next trip to the auto parts store I will look for it

4. dmccreery05

dmccreery05 New Member

hope it works as well for you as it did for me..10 dollars to 300 dollars is the way for me...just make sure you clean the manifolds well, for good adhersion , and take your time..good luck buddy, mine runs like a rabid monkey, thanks to Plasti-dip haha