1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fork adjustment

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jay~Dub, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Jay~Dub

Jay~Dub Member

(not so) sunny North Wales, United Kingdom.
    Hi, I just found dials/adjusters on the top of each fork tube, Its a '82 XJ750 J Maxim, air forks (average PSI anyone?, no antidive.
    is it a preload? I can't find a mark to align the numbers to.
    again, whats the average setting - a starting point, I'm 5' 10" and around 14 1/2 stone.
    Oh yeah... whats the injun oil type.
    I'm in the UK.
    Thanks!

2. msherrow

msherrow New Member

according to the manual: standard air pressure is .4 kg/cm2,or 5.7psi, max is 1.2 kg/cm2, or 17 psi, and minimum is .4 kg/cm2 or 5.7psi. all with no weight on front axle. the adjusters are for preload damping, 1 is minimum 4 is maximum, i.e. 1 is softer 4 is harder. there should be an indicator on the clamp next to the numbers or just turn counterclockwise until it stops and thats 1.oil type 15C and below is 10w30, 5C and above is 20w40 type SE oils.

3. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

Jay,

Just some thoughts. Whatever you do, don't use a high pressure source to pressurize your forks. You'll blow the fork seals right out. Use a hand pump. Maybe give it 1 to 1.5 pumps (2 max) and you should be about where you need to be if your fork seals are airtight.

You've got a air valve/needle on the 82 correct? Once you pump it up measuring the pressure is nearly impossible without completely depressurizing. So you're left with getting a really sophisticated, super accurate and sensitive pump with a built in gauge or just doing it by feel.

Doing it by feel works well enough.