1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

high idle

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by msherrow, Sep 3, 2010.

1. msherrow

msherrow New Member

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and have been researching the clean carb forums. I'm on my third maxim now. the first was brand new 82 750. sold it in 85. second one was a freebie a few years ago with no title and needs rings and upper end reworked...just didn't want to deal with it yet. the third i recently bought, 82 650 maxim. has been sitting for 6 years so went through the carbs for the 750 and swapped them on. HOWEVER, now it runs but won't idle below 4k. i did notice at least one carb (#4) has bad throttle shaft bushings, of course i didn't notice till it was on the bike. will these cause my idle problem? maybe sucking air and making it tooo lean? so question 3 would be where can i buy these bushings?
    sorry it's long but wanted kinda introduce myself..
    thanks

2. msherrow

msherrow New Member

how about that? 5 days, 30 views and not one response. that's ok. i'll figure it out myself.

3. WinstonC

WinstonC Member

I am not an expert, but I am not too sure you can use 750 carbs on a 650, the jetting and such would be WAY off. Idle issues usually stem from idle circuit adjustment, and/or air leaks. My guess would be the 750 carbs are not providing enough or too much air/fuel to keep the 650 in idle.

The best source for all parts, and I mean all parts, are though Chacal, upper right hand corner of the site - XJ4Ever

And don't sweat the no response, most people use the search function looking for solutions, not problems, and the gurus here just missed yours to respond, they were probably out riding this weekend,,,I was

4. msherrow

msherrow New Member

Thanks winston. from what i can tell they both have the same jet sizes. i believe i may have ruined the shaft seals and idle circuit o rings when i dipped the carb bodies. I am now working on rebuilding the 650 carbs, gotta order some parts from xj4ever. i got it to idle today but had really low vacuum and sporatic idle...especially when trying to sync carbs. i actually rode it around the yard a little but i could tell it was running lean, got too hot too quick.