1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Chaps, jeans, leathers?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by thorin, Feb 11, 2011.

1. thorin

thorin Member

hey all,
    my last couple posts have dealt with what to buy for riding...jacket, boots, and now i'm asking about pants.
    in the past i've just worn levi's but i'm more concious of safety concerns now and am looking at armored pants, leather pants, or chaps.
    i have to say chaps just ain't my look if you get my drift although of the 3 options, they may be the most comfortable.
    leather pants seem like they'd be hot as heck so i'm leaning toward armored pants.
    what are you guys/gals wearing most of the time?
    thanks!

2. DrPainsaw

DrPainsaw Member

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I just wear good old Levis most of the time; they've held up remarkably well in both of the crashes I've had in my riding career thus far (although I learned it's a bad idea to keep your wallet in your back pocket.)

I have a pair of Blauer motorcycle-cop rain pants that I wear as "overpants" over dressier pants (like Dockers) for riding to work.

All that being said, armored jeans would probably make even more sense and that's what I personally plan to invest in. Leather's day has come and gone, and chaps just plain look silly, IMHO.

4. thorin

thorin Member

yeah, can't do the chaps thing. i like some of the icon pants drpainsaw posted and they're not too spendy. kinda surprised though that most of the pants offer no tailbone protection, only knee and hip.
    i've worn button-front levi's all my life and kinda hate to wear another brand of jeans but the icons look pretty good and add a bit more protection.

5. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

In my younger days it was all in jeans, but always a jacket, boots, fullface and gloves, did a lot of miles and had a coupla offs, with a coupla scars as proof.

Now..Armoured jeans, kevlar lined covering my ass, upper legs,knees,hips..feel like a heavy denim to wear, very comfy and i feel a little safer/better protected. Leather gloves, good jacket, armoured, comfy as well and to top it off th hand made nearly knee length bike boots from many moons ago.

Oh ... and a fullface, th reason i still have a full face!! Been sliding down th road, it aint fun.

6. thorin

thorin Member

+1 on the armored jacket, my new one (Vulcan) is hanging in the closet waiting for the dang snow to melt! can you provide the brand of jeans you're describing? haven't seen any like that and am interested.
    thanks.

7. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

8. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

So far I've always worn leather chaps. They're convenient in they're quick to put on/off over street clothes. You strip them off and all the road dirt goes with them.

What worries me most about them is no knee protection. They also pick up a lot of heat in the sun. I'm looking for a textile pant with armor to replace them.

9. thorin

thorin Member

yeah, i figured chaps would make the most sense from a convenience perspective and also provide a layer of leather without the full pant treatment. i just can't walk around looking like a fugtive from "the village people" group ;)
    also as you said, chaps offer no knee or butt protection. jeans w/armor or textile w/armor are where i'm leaning....

10. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

I would doubt that

Between the people I know and the riders I see it'd be close to a 50/50 split leather vs cordura, leather seems to be favoured more with the weekend riders and cordura with tourers

Cordura seems to be more of a one crash and it's rooted material while leathers are easily repaired

I wont use anything but leathers myself but on hotter days they can be uncomfortable once you're stopped, although if I was doing high km or daily use I would probably go for the armoured textile jackets and pants purely for a comfort factor

You may as well ride naked for all the protection normal jeans give you and there's a few people on our local forum who have been pretty disappointed in the armoured jeans crashability

11. thorin

thorin Member

well, i made my pants purchase today, not an easy decision for a guy that absolutely over-analyzes everything he buys.
    i tried on different make armored textile offerings but just didn't like the feel of the nylon (or whatever it is). after trying a couple pair, i had serious static electricity going on and you could hear me coming a mile away with the "swish-swish" of the pant legs rubbing when i walked. worse than corduroy!
    tried on 3 brands of denim jeans (icon, joe rocket, ???). rocket was the only brand with knee protection (hard pads) and also came with a kevlar fabric sewn to the inside of the jean material (abrasion resistant). both the icon and joe rocket pants were comfortable but ultimately i went with rocket 'cause it had the knee protection and kevlar material. the icon jeans were simply lightweight denim with reinforced knee (extra denim) kinda like carpenter jeans.
    very happy w/purchase and they don't make my butt look big!
    seriously, i'm stoked to have comfortable pants that will also offer some protection should i go down. out the door price was $116.
    thanks for all the comments guys!

12. BlkMage

BlkMage Member

I've got a pair of chaps I wear sometimes, and I found a great use for them. In summer, I wear chaps over khakis and cruise up to Lake Tahoe. The cool air breathes through the khakis, but not the leather chaps, so it makes a draft of cool air right against my legs while also blocking the sun. Feels really good.

13. ol_750

ol_750 Member

The interesting thing about leather is that most of the Motorcycle Safety Groups say that 3mm thick cow hide is more resistent to abrasion than man made fibers in the tests they have done. So armoured leathers still give the best protection.
    And thats what the race riders wear. :eek:

14. frankenbiker

frankenbiker Member

I wear brown leather chaps, with a leather vest most of the time. On long trips or cold weather I have a Coretech denim jacket with lots of armor. On extra hot days I can take out teh liner and unzip the vents.

15. bobberaha

bobberaha Member

16. malibooman

malibooman Member

17. thorin

thorin Member

wow, neat idea on the bohn armors. they allow you to wear whatever pants you want (as long as they're not a snug fit). i really like the hip and tailbone protection, something i was looking for but couldn't find unless i went textile.
    not sure how they "breathe" as i usually don't like nylon/lycra kind of stuff but i'd sure be interested in hearing from those who have tried 'em.

18. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I still wear my leathers, gloves, chaps and jacket as does pretty much everyone else around these parts. I know the Village people gave them a bad wrap, but who the hell cares. I like'm. They protect when it gets too cold for just jeans. Leather protects against wind and even rain (although I do carry a rainsuit just incase)
    I looked into textile type jackets/pants, but can never find anything that seems to fit right or look good on me like leather does. Call me old school I guess. I just like my leathers, that's all.

19. Raven

Raven Member

I'm relatively new to riding in general, so I'm still wondering about some of the "preferred riding gear."

Leather armored jacket and gloves for me, but I recently discovered the awesomeness of chaps. I am a believer...the leather definately makes your legs "more slippery" through the wind, and highway speeds feel easier to ride.

20. andrewrmac

andrewrmac New Member

I've started with a pair of Duluth fire hose jeans. They are comfortable on the bike, but I had to add long johns when the temp got below 50°F. Reasonable price, but no armor options since they aren't designed to be motorcycle pants.

Haven't had a spill so I can't speak to how rugged they are.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens ... 86125.aspx