1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

over 6000 rpm

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by xj82550, Jun 13, 2011.

1. doc2029

doc2029 Member

I do have one issue that will be fixed soon. One of the POs replaced the stock bars with dirt bike bars. I am only 5'6" and I need to sit just about all the way forward to have a bend in my arms. I tend to lean a little forward and hunker down in wind seems to help some...

2. XJ511

XJ511 Member

Amen bro..!
    Just like an ol' dirt tracker... Just knew you were good people doc! 8)
    Yes sir. If this damned ol' wind doesn't settle out, I swear I'm gonna
    drop some drag bars on this thing and stay down. Sheez! I'm 5-8
    and a smidge and I get acquainted too bro. :lol:

3. marshallnoise

marshallnoise Member

I was riding back from work today and realized that the bars do make a big deal. I am thinking I need some Euro bars or maybe dirt bike bars. I am 6'2" and just short of 300. Basically, a lineman. Most folks think I look 250 though.

Where can I see a smattering of bars on our bikes?

4. doc2029

doc2029 Member

But like I said very soon I'll be replacing those dirt bike bars for the bars that belong on the bike! I am looking forward to having wider bars that come back more. I am thinking over all I should have a little better control of the bike as well...

5. doc2029

doc2029 Member

On my ride in this morning I decided to pay attention to the RPMs at 70 MPH I am turning only 5.500. The speed limit on the highway is part 55 MPH and part 65 MPH. I find I tend to cruse in normal traffic around 4 to 4,500 RPMs.

6. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Sounds about the same for me. Except I'm usually around 80mph to not get run over. Which is about 6k in 5th. Then we all stop. Stupid I-95 and people that can't merge.

I'm also about as aerodynamic as an old cab over semi truck. I wear a 58 jacket to get it around my shoulders.

7. RangerG

RangerG Member

The vast majority of my riding these days involves long distance touring. As a rule I usually ride at 110 - 120 kph. (About 70 - 75 mph). 110 puts me at 5500 rpm and 120 is 6000. The bike will, and does, run for days on end at this speed. I'm sure I could run faster but I find that any higher speeds just increases the wind turbulance and just tends to tire me out faster.
    I might have to add 1-200 ml of oil on a 4-5000 km trip. The bike just rolled over 70,000 kms (43,500 miles) this year. I'm planning a trip this year west to the mountains, south to Montana and across to the middle of N Dakota and home. Last year was east to Lake Superior, year before was Yellowstone and three years ago I rode to the Black Hills. These are all trips of about 8 - 10 days riding.

I can't vouch for riding long distances at over 6000 rpm but I can say that up to those rpm's, the 550, and I'm sure all the other XJ's, will go farther than most people will care to ride.

Do all the proper maintenance and upkeep on your bike, as we all should, and get out and ride!