1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

It gets me every single time

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by reasonofhaste, Jul 14, 2011.

1. reasonofhaste

reasonofhaste New Member

If I had a dollar for every "phantom shift" attempted by myself in the last six months, i'd be able to fix the rest of my bike...

I just inherited an 82 xj750 seca about 6 months ago and was wondering how long it takes the average xj owner to stop expecting there to be a 6th gear.

-Mike

2. doc2029

doc2029 Member

LOL yeah I do that now and again. Sometimes I forget I am in 5th gear doing 70 the bike is turning 5500 RPM and I try to shift... I've had my 82 XJ650 since 4/21/11 and have put over 4K miles on it. I still do that from time to time... Maybe never?

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Going through the gears on a Maxim-750.

1st, ... 2nd, ..... 3rd, ....... 4th, ........ 4th 'n 3/8ths :::::

4. pygmy_goat

pygmy_goat Member

That was Rick's 11111th post. Nice.

Also, when you're going fwy speed most of the time you think "how nice it'd be to have 6th..." and then, a semi tries to change lanes into you, you book it up to 100mph (cause you started at 5000 rpm) and don't die, and you think "sometimes it's nice, though..."

5. carbineken

carbineken Member

I do it all the time on both of my bikes. The really fun part is switching back and forth from my right hand shift Ironhead. Got really pissed for a second when the XJ's brake pedal wouldn't upshift for me.

6. reasonofhaste

reasonofhaste New Member

Definitely, I can't really complain about anything, i drive mostly on the interstate with it and still get about 38 mpg and it has plenty of power right around that 5500 rpm range.

7. RangerG

RangerG Member

I'm still looking for 7th gear!

8. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

I love 5500 at 70 mph. but then again this is my 1st bike and never had a 6th gear.

9. EarlGrey

EarlGrey Member

That threw me off too. I keep trying and trying for 6th but it just won't materialize!

10. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

I have been riding my bike as a daily now for two years. I thought I was the only one. I always think I must look silly trying to shift and there is nothing to shift to. The worst is when I think to myself... I am in 5th DO NOT TRY AND SHIFt.. but I have to try anyway. Then in my head I think.. AAWwww I told you. I am not ever going to get used to it, I have accepted it.

11. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

I try for 6th every once in a while on my Seca 750. Ya know what's worse? I actually reached for 7th on my newly acquired Katana 600 the other day. Where'd that come from?

12. quelord

quelord New Member

Sometimes I second guess myself too - i'll know I'm in 5th but deep down inside I still reach for another gear...

my honda sabre had 6th gear that's why i'm always reaching for it.

13. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Here's the trick I've learned:

When in 5th, if you pull up on the lever (slowly, gently when cruising, WITHOUT pulling in the clutch -- just put some upward, gentle pressure on the lever) you will discover it has a "significant" free range of travel when in 5th... There is a "good distance" of travel there (again no clutch).

When in 4th, when you apply the same gentle pressure, there is almost no free travel -- you can "feel" 5th gear "up there" when in 4th...

I've gotten into the habbit of gently pulling up on the lever to discover if I am "truly" in 5th or not -- It is immediately obvious through this gentle "up" pressure to "feel" if 5th is available or if you already in 5th.

Thanks

14. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

This thread was on life support, but we got a pulse!

I was doing this search for 7th gear (XJ550) for the first 2 weeks, but I finally developed an easy solution. I compared 5th and 6th gear rpms at various speeds and noted these rpms at about 3 speeds in 5th or 6th gear 45, 55, 65. Now I only have to check the tach to know what gear I'm grinding.

15. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Some Suzuki models and BMW 3&4 cylinder bikes have a digital gear position indicator. But I think we are all victims to the phantom shift. Then there's Honda's CB 900 & 1000 which has a ten speed tranny!

16. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

I wonder if one of those "Gear Indicator" whatchamacallits for new sport bikes could be hooked up to, or adapted to work on these "old" bikes?
    I read a bit about them, they require electronic speedo's and tachs, but they also can be hooked up to cable operated speedo's too.
    The one they mention is a Ducati with a cable operated speedo though.
    [​IMG]

17. YankshirePud

YankshirePud New Member

I only just stopped looking for sixth on my XJ750. I've loaned my bike to three experienced riders, all of whom really liked it but the common complaint is that it needs another gear.
    At 65mph you know it has plenty more to offer, you just don't want to go there. High speeds don't seem as comfortable. I recently jumped on my buddy's 81 CB900f Super Sport and did over a ton much more comfortably than 65 feels on my XJ.
    The shaft drive has its advantages but it would be nice to mess with the gearing a little. This is my first bike and I will never get rid but I might need a little more in a year or two...

18. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like your 750 isn't tuned quite right, or your getting too much vibration from somewhere. It would be nice to have a longer gear on my XJ550, but not for comfort or vibration-just for better gas mileage. Sometimes I am riding around 65-75 in fifth gear and don't notice it because I don't feel significant vibrations. If it is tuned right and still seems too wound up you could try a bar snake to soak up those harmonics. The last 750 I rode was plenty tall to cruise around 75 with no discomfort.

Of note the CB900ss rate 95bhp and redlines below 10000, and your XJ750 rates 86bhp and pulls past 10000. Not sure but I think the CB was geared longer as well. So 10% more HP plus a longer gear and heavier bike would translate into more comfort at the same speed. But a properly tuned XJ750 should be just a smidge quicker in the 1/4mile.

19. YankshirePud

YankshirePud New Member

Thanks for the feedback Mercury. Like I said, this is my first bike so I don't have much of a frame of reference. I don't get vibrations, maybe it's the naked standard/cruiser setup that feels weird at speed. I'm getting over it though, hitting highway speeds much more comfortably in the last week after 1000 plus miles of back-roads. Leaning down and having the correct riding gear helps.
    That old CB900 is sweet though, I can hit corners at nearly twice the speed, I should probably stay away from sports bikes...

20. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

YankshirePud does your XJ have the stock bars? I thought because this thread was referencing the extra gear hunt that you were uncomfortable riding your XJ because of the high rpms, but it sounds like your just not feeling comfortable/confident at speed.

Your friends CB puts you in a different riding posture, mostly because of the flatter/straighter bars. I greatly prefer this type myself. The bars I use are about 3 inches lower than stock and the angle is almost the same as the CB. Similar to modern sport bikes and improves your control and ability to go low. Have you seen any race bikes with cruiser style bars? I promise you I can out corner any CB900 on my XJ550.

Of course you want to be sure everything else is working right that could effect the way it feels at speed. Like the stearing head, all your bearings, your tires, your forks & shocks. For example-when I got my XJ the po weighed twice as much as I do and he had the rears shocks at their maximum setting which was not right for me, and the front tire was at 16psi. So needless to say I didn't feel confident at speed until I got it home and fixed this.