1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Running Hot - Is this normal???

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by KatherineJaneIII, Aug 3, 2011.

1. KatherineJaneIII

KatherineJaneIII New Member

Hello everybody! I just got a 1985 XJ700 Maxim X, and have been enjoying it tremendously! I've been a little concerned, though, because it has been running hot. Is this normal? It HAS been hot outside, but the engine should still cool, right? It seems to be ok when I'm on a longer stretch of road, but when it's in town at stoplights, the gauge comes right up to the Hot mark. I've changed the oil and oil filter, and have just run some radiator cleaner through. This post may be a little premature, since I haven't drained the cleaner yet and put the 50/50 mix in, but I just thought I'd throw this out and find out what you think... any ideas? Is this normal??

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I'm sure someone with an X will weigh in.

My Venture though does exactly the same thing. In stop and go traffic the needle will climb almost to the "HOT" line. That is the point where the fan kicks on and it doesn't go higher. To my knowledge my fan never runs when the motorcycle is moving.

3. KatherineJaneIII

Thanks MiCarl, glad to know it's not just my bike. Unfortunately I don't have a fan, maybe I should look into getting something aftermarket?? Any suggestions??

4. smurf667

smurf667 Member

Yes Katherine, it is normal, the X is renowned for it, mine is the same. The fan doesn't cut in, until it's nearly in the red, so don't worry about it. Just MAKE sure that the fan actually does cut in as it approaches the red zone

Pete

5. smurf667

smurf667 Member

Just read your last post Katherine, it SHOULD have a fan if it's the Maxim-X, directly behing the radiator.. IF it hasn't got one, you NEED to aquire one as soon as you can.

Pete

6. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Yikes!!! Yeah, you definitely need to get that fan sorted out.

And if you're looking for info, tips and tech on the Maxim X, go here:

http://maxim-x.com/index.html

You may also want to weigh-in with a location in case there are XJ'ers who want to lend a helping hand.

7. smurf667

smurf667 Member

I was just about to say the same thing, you need to fill in your info as to where you are (Like most of us have done, if you look under the avatars, it says when we joined and our location), so that if there's someone close by, they may offer help when you need it.

You also ought to put your bike model and year etc where it says signature in your profile, again so people know what bike you've got by just looking at that.

Pete

8. KatherineJaneIII

Wow! You are ALL awesome!! Thanks much!

Pete - Thanks for advice on where the fan is. I've been a dirt bike enthusiast since I was a teenager, and never have had a bike with a radiator!! I have to say that I haven't really looked for the fan until now, and I'll have to pay more attention to when it's coming on. It didn't jump out at me, so I really had to look closely for it. Glad to know it's there, now to make sure it's coming on. Also am glad to find out that it's normal for this bike to get to the red line before the fan kicks in... thanks for the reassurance.

MaximumX - thanks for the link, what a great resource! I took your advice on adding my location..

Also I added my bike model and year, etc. like Pete suggested. And I couldn't help but put the other bikes down - I just love motorcycles! What else can I say???

I'm SO glad I became a member of this community!! Awesome!!

9. smurf667

smurf667 Member

Welcome to the forums and the best help for XJ's on the Planet