1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Rode it to work, exactly 60 miles; will be riding it home after work.

Just like yesterday. And most likely tomorrow.

2. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Is the ride home sixty miles too, or are there some detours? :wink: :wink:

3. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Had my exhaust welded together yesterday...now I have slip on's!!!! And a Yama-Harley. Sportster 883/1200 exhausts. :oops:

It was running rich, so I tuned it this evening. By ear....freaking awesome!

4. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Planned what i'm going to do next week with my holidays:

*Better do a valve clearance check
    *Change oil and filter
    *Ninja the dash LED's from the 400 i think :)
    *Possibly try to fix (extend) my broken off tip speedo needle.
    *Found my trusty Jumbo tooth brush, so clean the engine a bit (did the Citrus cleaner, but need to get some caked on stuff gone).

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3 ... ?locale=en

Should be doable in a day so I have tons of time to RIIIIDE!

5. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

My buddy put one of those vapor units on a 5150, worked rather well! very good cheap replacement!

6. XJcolby

XJcolby New Member

I got my starting motor rebuilt today. She spins like a champ, but it doesn't sound like the flywheel is engaging. I can push start the bike with a little help and it will run, but my starting system is not turning over the engine just making a spin noise at the starting motor.
    Other notes:
    -bike was ridden every day for two months up until two weeks ago.
    -my current oil has 1100 miles but it got very cloudy apparently while she sat.
    -my voltage on the bike while it's running is 14.45v which sounds like it's healthy.
    -voltage with bike off is 12.5 and I tested to cold crank 4 days ago to verify it's also good to go.
    Is this indicative of a starter clutch problem? does the flywheel move to engage? When you replace the starting motor it almost feels like you have to get the teeth with it and the flywheel to line up proper before it will sit in there correctly, that can't be true though if my starting motor is free spinning right?
    anyway, that's my progress to bringing her back to life. I miss riding.

7. hendo68

hendo68 Member

i put an air box cover on (it was missing) bought it off ebay.

8. gman

gman Member

Pulled the engine. I swore if it came to that I would cut it up for parts and put them on Ebay. My son overruled me and bought a used engine.

Tomorrow if the gods smile upon us, we put the replacement in it.

Now I have the old engine to clean up and part out

9. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Checked all the valve clearances:

E1-.203 E2-.178 E3-.152 E4-.178
    I1-.127 I2-.127 I3-.127 I4-.127

Intakes all sweet!, I do hear E1 but it may work itself tighter over time, although i'm positive it was that number last summer. E3 hasn't changed since last summer so i'm thinkin it's set in the head nice, but i'll check in 10k regardless.

I wasn't keeping track of pilots, just trying to get them all the same colour at idle. After satisfying myself with the 4 in colour, the final turns out where as follows:

1 - 4
    2 - 3.25
    3 - 2
    4 - 2.25

I've got a colortune, but it's for the 400 (12mm not 14mm)

Still may change out the LED's tomorrow if my tooth pulling in the morning doesn't knock me on my butt :)

10. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

So no tooth pulling yesterday :)

Today I switched out the dash LED's in the 400 to the Seca. Took out the warning light tho so I don't have it pissing me off when i'm low on gas.

Didn't change out the High Beam bulb, cause the W5 Blue I got is WAY too bright for night driving, the normal filament bulb works fine.

Hopefully they'll be nice and bright tonight when I go for a trip down to Long Point. Love night driving!

Also topped up the oil, it took 700ml to get a little bubble in the sight glass, i'll have to keep an eye on that.

Got 3L of oil and a new filter for next oil change (Prolly next week) Got a Quaker State QS14612, They're made by Purolator but i'm not 100% if they're the same as the Pure One or not (same 14612 in model number). Figured i'd try it out anyways.

When I was looking over the selection of oil at crappy tire, I saw this Amsoil synthetic for $21 bux a liter. Thought better of that. Saw some Mobil 1 Synthetic motorcycle oil (labeled for v-twins):

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en

Wasn't going to risk getting it without reading some reviews first. It didn't mention safe for wet clutches, or no friction modifiers so.. Even at 16.99/L That's an expensive oil change.

Played it safe and got the good old Motomaster Formula 1 20W-50 for the next change. $5.29/L

$23 bux +tax for a complete oil change, I can live with that ;)

11. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Small world. I changed my oil last night too. Castrol ACT>EVO X-Tra 4T Semi-Synth 20W40 and a FRAM CH6003.

Rode to work today and got caught in the rain big time this morning, so now the sun is out for the ride home but the bike is all grubby.

12. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Went and filled the tank this morning. After getting home from my daughter's dentist appointment, I got POed at the PO, again. Seems he had some moron spray the tins with some left-over paint from a car job, and it wasn't automotive paint. Peeled about a 6 inch square of paint off the tank. More motivation to paint her this fall I guess.

13. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Anyone know where we can get the Castrol 4T up in Canada? or is it going to be like the PureOne oil filters lol.

14. pasanby

pasanby New Member

Broke timing chain today , what more can go wrong ? :(

15. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Prepped parts for reconstruction.

My myriad of o-rings, gaskets, and washers is coming tomorrow.

16. KatherineJaneIII

KatherineJaneIII New Member

Just took it for a ride.... an awesome ride....

:)

17. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

lets see, the valve cover and pickup cover are off, hands and feeler gages are covered in oil and I'm trying to con the roomy into writing down some numbers into a chart scribbled in an old notebook while I do my inspecting. Went to my laptop to dig up specs and decided to pop in here for a moment.

18. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

So, you don't want dirt and oil in an old notebook, but you don't mind getting your keyboard all gunked up? 8O
    Now that is commitment, a keyboard can be replaced, but smudged numbers that could mess up your valve readings are a priority, a true XJ'r if there ever was one! :wink: :wink:

19. bobbytheblack

bobbytheblack Member

Sanded the gas tank, decided it would be easier to sand blast it.

20. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

17mm wrench in one hand, feelers in the other. Kinda didn't want to put either of those down whilest "on a roll"
    AND... Sharpies die when ya get oil on them. Ballpoints and pencils tear paper that's gotten soggy. Reasons? excuses? I got 'em.
    Plus, well its the "shop" laptop. rubber keyboard cover I can peel off and wipe down. I pack it in my saddlebags on trips cuz it as well as the thumbdrive on my keychain have manuals for every bike I ever owned and all the bikes my buddies own. Lighter and more water resistant than all those books :)
    plus the best manual an XJer could EVER get their hands on, internet with access to xjbikes.com
    BTW, posted a topic in Chat about my valve(s)... curiouser and curiouser.