1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

IDLE problems (carbs?)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bykrbabe, Aug 6, 2011.

1. bykrbabe

bykrbabe New Member

Hi !! I have a 1981 XJ650 Maxim. she starts up no problem every morning but will not idle without choke on almost half way. Even after she warms up. when ever i stop if i'm not giving her gas or put the choke on she dies..EVERY TIME!! cold, warm or hot does not matter. Also really smells like gas. I'm thinking she flooding herself out and needs carb adjustment? maybe?? when i turn the idle up she races after a couple min. of riding , really high! any suggestions and how to's cuz i'm just learning to work on bikes AND so eagar.. thanks for your time :?

2. day7a1

day7a1 Member

3. bykrbabe

bykrbabe New Member

thank u so much !! I should be able to do this.. Good step by step instructions! thx =)

4. smurf667

smurf667 Member

You need to make sure your valves are in spec first though, it's no good trying to get the carbs sorted unless your valves are in spec first

5. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Absolutely, but that's probably not causing your problem. http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14827.html

Before you ride you need to examine your brakes, most just say check for delamination, but you'll find that if you take yours out and look at them like you should for your front and rear.

6. smurf667

smurf667 Member

Amen to that /\