1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How did you get here?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by SnoSheriff, Jun 1, 2006.

1. RudieDelRude

RudieDelRude Member

Someone posted a video on YouTube of them riding and he referred someone commenting with questions to these boards.

I had a actually been referred several times by google, but the boards were down. I'm glad I kept checking back.

2. eugenewithanaxe

eugenewithanaxe New Member

I was given an '81 Midnight Maxim, and I wanted to find more info on it.

It's a great bike, I have put on about 2,000 miles in the past five or six weeks. Most of my miles are commuting to and from work, but I have been out on a couple of six-plus hour rides with it. The bike is all around nimble, very comfortable and not lacking in power.

There is a lot of good information here. I hope it helps to keep my XJ running well for a good long time.

3. cleric3648

cleric3648 New Member

I bought a box of parts yesterday for an 82 Maxim 650. My rough estimate is that I have about 66% of the bike, in various boxes. The guy I bought it from recommended this place.

4. buzz81mach

buzz81mach Member

I just purchased a 1985 XJ700 Maxim and was searching around for some forum sites. I've been looking around the site and decided to join. Lots of good stuff in here. :D

5. Vampirum

Vampirum New Member

The guy I bought my bike off of recommended me to this site if I needed help getting it fixed up.

Helped a lot!

6. Reverend-Rat

Reverend-Rat New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I retired early at 51 (health issues) and decided to find my dream bike,
    Back in the eighties I spotted a XJ 650 and fell in love with it but could not afford one.
    I found one a few weeks ago in a sorry state of affairs just around the corner and offered the owner a grand for it (£1000) he said no...
    So off to "Google" I went and found one on (The Gumtree) for £450 with carb' problems and a "Harley Davidson" back tyre ???
    So back to "Google" to find help with the carb's and found XJBikes.
    The vast amount of help was amazing and as a result have a happy 31 year old xj650h and a big grin :)
    A big thank you to you all.

Attached Files:

• 591.jpg
      591.jpg
      File size:
      36.9 KB
      Views:
  7. dranas

dranas New Member

i googled xj650 then poof i was here lol

8. skw1972

skw1972 Member

I was about to buy either a honda or this seca, did some checking and got interested in the reads here, the whole community was just that, a community, this place is really unlike others you did great sherrif and now because of this site the intimidation is gone and Im guts deep in my bike-in love and hooked for life. I still love harleys but Im a changed man forever. the peoiple are great and having the back up I get here makes my bike worth more to me than kelly blue can touch. Im lookin for a maxim to pair it off with. Thanks Sherrif and thank you to all you guys (sorry tooooo many to name) who have a piece of this bike.

9. Dannymax

Dannymax Member

Hi everybody! I bought an '85 XJ700X new in '85, sold it in '88 to get money to start a business and missed it ever since. You know, that one bike you wish you never sold! Well, I traced it down, (there was only one owner after the guy I sold it to), and called the him to see if he was interested in selling it. He wasn't but said he would give me first shot at it if he ever did want to sell.

That was 4 years ago and today he called and offered it to me! :lol:

I plan on hooking up the trailer and going to get it this weekend!!

Pics and more info to follow!

10. windinmyface

windinmyface New Member

I was directed here by a fellow rider on another site. I was looking for parts for a Yamaha Virago, and he suggested that Len might help me out. sure 'nough, he did.

11. pasanby

pasanby New Member

Found this site while searching for parts , even though I've had this bike quite a while , it really hasn't needed any work till as of late . I really appreciate all the knowledge I have gleaned from these pages and tip my hat to you all ! :wink http://i53.tinypic.com/9q9on9.jpg

12. black-heat

black-heat New Member

Well, my '82 XJ650J Maxim was my first cycle and still is. I've only got around 24,000 miles under me but still counting. I've found this site obviously by reseaching various things for and about it. I've transformed my cycle into a rat bike (for look and by necessity). I'm actually saving up to buy a Kawasaki KLR since moving to the desert mountains of New Mexico from Minnesota. A dualsport cycle like the KLR will be great out here but my Maxim isn't leaving my garage, i love it. Once i get the KLR I plan on a complete overhaul for the Maxim (aka Black Heat). Well, thanks for being here, it's a great site for us XJ's.

13. sgio

sgio Member

I was researching about a 1981 650 Maxim listed on CL. I found this site using Google. Bought the bike and I came back and joined!

14. Howard_Stern

Howard_Stern New Member

I found this site when the opportunity for me to buy an 81 midnight maxim xj650 arose , I know absolutely nothing about bikes, and needed a crash course in this bike, and I found a flood of info on here, needless to say i did buy the bike, and what I love about the info on this site, is I read about troubles I havent had yet,,because I just know that on a dark road some day I am going to have a problem arise and I will know the fix because I read it here rather than 20 hrs of pin pointing a broken fuse clip, or maybe rusty tank etc,, Thanks

This is my Midnight Maxim, there are many Midnight Maxims just like it but this one is mine!

Attached Files:

15. Brhille

Brhille New Member

My best friend has had a couple xj's and an old CB550 sitting behind his house now for two years. All in need of mechanical work he could not accomplish himself he turned to me for help. So for basically labor I ended up with one fantstic 81' xj550 Maxim. I started looking up parts and tech specs on the bike and came across this great community.

Brhille Denver CO

Are there any more of you guys in Colorado????

16. wolfsbane

wolfsbane New Member

just got a gt550 and a xj550 for 400 bucks full bike and went looking for the better of the two to bob found this site so you know what one im doing LOL

17. my2ndyammy

my2ndyammy New Member

hi,i'm on the yoc forum and wanted to find a specific model site,i used google,thanks,pip.

18. twr3cks

twr3cks Member

Hi everyone, I was directed to your site by a friend from another forum. I've recently aquired 2 xj550's been working on one as a project. Hope to get some help and share. Thanks!

19. BonezOz

BonezOz New Member

I picked up a 81 XJ550 Seca about 4 weeks ago. It's in desperate need of TLC but I'm picking up a reconditioned XJ600 motor, frame, wheels and tyres I bought through Ebay this weekend. I believe that the 550 motor is about on it's last legs, has over 180,000km leaks oil like a siv and idles really poorly, the last probably is the carbs need cleaned and rejetted.

I was looking for more information on these bikes as I had never heard of them before, and coming from a cruiser background this whole XJ realm was new to me.

I've been perusing the site now for about two weeks and have been paying very close attention to the modifications section and you all have given me some awesome ideas, bobber I think will be the outcome of this bike.

Now a little about me, I live in Australia, Sydney to be exact, and am American by birth and citizenship. I've been riding now for about 6 years and turn 37 in November, so I had a bit of a late start.

I love riding and the XJ takes me to and from work, which is about a 60mi/100km trip per day through some of Sydney's heaviest trafficed areas. So far so good, but like I said the bike is in desperate need of TLC.

I'm looking forward to speaking and chatting with all of you and will be posting a pick of my bike soonish.

Bonez, out.

20. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

How did I GET HERE? On a Yamaha! Duh!! :mrgreen:

I just did a search for Maxim stuff when I got mine, and this place popped up in the results. This is a good place to be. :)